Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Re: exhaust port
Reply #60 - 06/09/10 at 11:11:12

Baby Hog,
I've included a little info on 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. I appologize if you already understand the difference. I think what Earlytimes was getting at is that modifying a 4 stokes breathing ability can have noticible gains while a 2 stroke not so much. So when Bill mentioned the 2 stroke motor ......... a 2 cycle fires every stroke, a 4 cylinder every other stroke. Sooo a 2 cycle fires more per RPM than a 4 cycle engine.

How They Work
There is a marked difference in how a 2-cycle and 4-cycle motor operates. A 4-cycle engine works, as you might expect, in four stages. There is the power (down) stroke, the exhaust (up) stroke, the intake (down again) stroke, and the compression (up again) stroke. It takes two full revolutions of the crankshaft to deliver these four strokes. It's the power stroke which sends the piston through each of the three remaining stages.

A 2-cycle engine literally has just two cycles that combine the above duties. The first stroke is the combination power and exhaust stroke and the second combines the compression and intake stroke. Both power and combustion happen as the piston reaches to top of its stroke. At the bottom, the exhaust and intake occur. It takes just a single revolution to generate two strokes and propel the piston through its full cycle.

More Parts = More to Break
Four-cycle engines have a lot more moving parts. They have a crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rod, valves, lifters and of course the piston. A two-cycle engine really has only three major moving parts. This includes the crankshaft, connecting rod and the piston. In small size two cycle engines there are no cams, lifters or valves. As a general rule, less parts equals less potential for failure and easier maintenance. Overall, the 2-cycle engine is typically smaller in displacement and size as compared a 4-cycle which, many times, is almost double the displacement and overall size to achieve the same power. The reason for this is because since the 2-cycle combines two functions in one rotation, it makes the power  twice as quickly as a 4-stroke.

The fact is, 4-cycle only has a few advantages: greater potential torque, higher fuel economy, and better emissions.

Greater Potential Torque = The reason we are playing with it

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 06/09/10 at 11:13:33

So, who can write their name best in the snow?

Do I care? no, ain't got any snow.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #62 - 06/09/10 at 11:14:18

Burn,Gort is right

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #63 - 06/09/10 at 11:21:59

Chief 4 strokes do not have more torque  than 2 strokes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 06/09/10 at 11:30:30

bill67 wrote on 06/09/10 at 11:14:18:
Burn,Gort is right

about?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #65 - 06/09/10 at 11:31:12

Now you guys want to port your exhaust port,You will have a higher speed power band,The jet needle and needle jet on our bikes is made for our powerband,So if you port it you will need a difference jet needle and needle jet.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #66 - 06/09/10 at 11:32:06

BurnPgh wrote on 06/09/10 at 11:30:30:
bill67 wrote on 06/09/10 at 11:14:18:
Burn,Gort is right

about?

You called me Gort

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 06/09/10 at 11:34:31

oops. Sorry 'bout that.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #68 - 06/09/10 at 11:39:41

Thats OK he's a good guy.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #69 - 06/09/10 at 11:45:58

Hey Bill, that's a lot better than what I called you!!!  Grin

Just kiddin ya, Homie. You ain't a bad guy either... I guess... LoL

IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #70 - 06/09/10 at 11:48:33

Bill, I was only highlighting the potential. I would never get into that arguement.
Either motor could come out on top for power, there are so many mods for either one.
Just saying the porting the exhaust on a two stroke is harder to get precise, you would also have to increase the intake pressure due to the short time that the valve are open. Many use blowers to increase how much fuel gets in. With a 4 stroke you have a lot more leeway for error.
I do understand your point about the needle jet increase, either way more out will need more in. Thank you for that.

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #71 - 06/09/10 at 12:10:02

See, now that's alot of information, good or bad, right or wrong.  At least someone could dig more if they wanted/needed.  I shouldn't have jumped in because I really don't care about the specifics.  But if I did, I would want to know which specifics to believe when there are opposing sides.  Bill was saying ET was wrong, but offering no rebuttal.  I look at the un-informed/ignorant/newbie side of posts and if there is bad information, mis-information, whatever... I would hate to see someone do something because they were mis-guided.  That's all.  But I guess if you are gonna mess with something like this, ya best know a little of what you are doin'!!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #72 - 06/09/10 at 12:23:48

"Two-strokes produce far more power than four-strokes, but in motocross, peak horsepower is a secondary consideration – it’s not so much about how much power gets to the ground, but in the way in which it gets there. A two-stroke’s power explodes over a short period, whereas the four’s is more linear and results in a far wider power-band. Torque is everything, and four-strokes have it in abundance.

The benefits of having usable power across a wider spectrum are many. For starters, on a four-stroke you don’t have to spend as much time changing gears, and therefore you spend less time with the throttle partially disengaged. The linear power also encourages the rear tyre to grip instead of spin, and its predictability makes it an ideal choice for the lesser-skilled rider."

So,.. it's more about the width of the powerband...
2 strokes make what they make in a narrow rpm band... That's why 4 strokes are considered torqueir...  (torqueir?)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #73 - 06/09/10 at 12:34:12

Ha Ha... Torqueir... Different strokes for different folks!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #74 - 06/09/10 at 12:37:11

I'm not talking about moto cross or race bikes,I'm talking about street bikes.I had a suzuki 550 and 750 2 cycles,They don't have the narrow powerband of a race bike.At 50 mph a Suzuki 750 2 cycle would stay even with a 750 Honda by 60mph it was running away from the Honda,And the Honda was turning more rpm.I would have to say the Suzuki had more torque this was all in high gear roll ons.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 11:02:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.