Send Topic Print
exhaust port (Read 2609 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: exhaust port
Reply #30 - 06/09/10 at 04:10:28

Earlytimz how must does that gain you in power and gas mileage?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #31 - 06/09/10 at 05:19:10

Good info.

I just want to add one more thing.  Don't think of opening the exhaust port as a RACE mod, it is an EFFICIENCY mod.
It is as if you took off your header pipe and found a big rock stuck inside, which you would naturally remove becasuse it is interfering with the exhaust getting out and would certainly cause a decrease in efficiency; or power.  Remove the rock and the engine works better and makes the power it was really designed to do before all of those rocks were thrown in by "gov't b'crats" at the EPA.
Rocks in the carb, rocks in the exhaust ports & header, rocks in the muffler...etc.
When I did the first mods on my Savage I removed those rocks and  cleaned everything up a bit; the result was that power went up to 42-45 hp at the rear wheel.   A stock LS650 makes about 25 hp at the rear wheel.
I had more power AND torque everywhere... from idle to a maxed out redline of 6500 rpm and it still wanted to do more.

Everything I did to my engine was to increase efficiency, until this last rebuilt...this time I went beyond that, but point is that there are fairly easy things that can be done which enable to engine to work easier and will yield more usable torque with which to play or to use when passing that big truck on an uphill highway or mountain road.

You will really like the result.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #32 - 06/09/10 at 06:39:17

Hey Bill, I can't really put a number on it. I don't have a dyno or any fancy test equipment. It's just a matter of letting your engine work easier. I like the way Lancer described it with the big rock stuck in the way. You can also look at it like trying to blow through a coffee stir vs. a big straw. Your lungs are gonna force the same amount of air through both, but which one is faster & takes less force? Which exhaust port is gonna let your engine rev faster, with less resistance?

LANCER wrote on 06/09/10 at 05:19:10:
I had more power AND torque everywhere... from idle to a maxed out redline of 6500 rpm and it still wanted to do more.

-And I bet it revved to the 6500 redline a lot quicker too!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 06/09/10 at 08:01:46

It will help the high end and get less mpg.And kill the low end power.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #34 - 06/09/10 at 08:11:29

Okay, I'll bite...I'm thinking this might be fun. If I take the header off and use a dremmel to take the lip off the exhaust what do I need to look out for?
I've never come anywhere close to modding an engine like this and my wrenching skills are basic at best (but everyone else calls me a "mechanic"...not even close!)

"It will help the high end and get less mpg.And kill the low end power."
Bill, I'm wondering...how do you qualify that statement? Have you tried it?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 06/09/10 at 08:17:24

Do it and you will know too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #36 - 06/09/10 at 08:23:20

Does that mean you've done it???
I'm a mile high here, I'm thinking I could use whatever extra air I can get but I don't want to lose out on the low end torque.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 06/09/10 at 08:27:14

I had a snowmobile professional ported it killed the low end, A little bit of help on the high end, I never did it again and wouldn't.It also killed the gas mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 06/09/10 at 08:42:20

Bill,

Was that snowmobile engine by any chance a two stroke engine?  
And jest for grins what sort of two stroke oil did you use in it, BTW ....

Grin   Grin   Grin  

I knew you picked up on Klotz from inside the two stroke world from somewheres in your past.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 06/09/10 at 08:46:48

Your right on both counts.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #40 - 06/09/10 at 08:47:35

Your snowmobile was probably a 2-stroke. 2-stroke engines use a finely tuned exhaust and are much more sensitive to mods... Plus they have no bottom end to start with, they are high revving engines. Think "Power Band"

We used to port the crap out of 2-stroke banshee & blaster heads. Did it help the bottom end?? Hell no, but when you open that sucker up and hit the power band you know you've done something good!

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #41 - 06/09/10 at 08:48:22

OldFeller beat me to it...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 06/09/10 at 08:57:45

My young fellow 4 cycle motorcycles rev higher than 2 cycle,I've had 3, 2 cycle motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #43 - 06/09/10 at 09:04:53

3 cycle?? or 3 cylinder?

EDIT: I re-read your post. I think you're saying you've had three, 2 stroke motorcycles... I see that now.

I'm gonna have to disagree that a 4 stroke engine is higher revving. 2 strokers only have 1/2 the revolutions to make a complete cycle. They rev twice as fast.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #44 - 06/09/10 at 09:40:06

Too much of anything can cause a problem... Porting, jetting, intake air, unbaffled pipe... whatever....
But, from the look of that exhaust port, with that shelf obstruction across the top of the port,... I doubt it's possible to get too much flow out of there...
I softened mine up a little, years ago,... with little effect, but I think I'll go back in and do a proper job soon...
I don't touch intake ports,... roughness in there is supposed to be beneficial... (that's what I've been told,..and I always do what I'm told  Huh)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:35:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust port

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.