4th gear is screwy! (Read 127 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
4th gear is screwy!
06/02/10 at 05:57:26

every now and then, not every time, when i shift into 4th, she'll won't engage all the way. she doesn't come out of gear, it's just like i didn't push hard enough...only with 4th, besides the "false neutral" with 5th lol

i run 10w40, since it's summer in wonderful south florida now(already HOT!!) should i run a thicker weight? like 20w? or 15? think that would solve the problem?

i assume it may be messed up a little tooth wise, i just make sure it shifts now before i dog it...

my friend with the vulcan rode mine, and was shocked! said it was so fun and handled awesome!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 4th gear is screwy!
Reply #1 - 06/02/10 at 06:29:03

Have you tried it w/o the clutch?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 06/03/10 at 07:38:41

no i haven't! is that ok to do? i roll off the throttle and just push up with my foot like i do for 5th right?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #3 - 06/03/10 at 10:34:06

It takes some practice but there is a "window" to shift in. Once you do it a few times it gets easy.
Downshifting is the same, but a lot harder to hit the "window". Normally it takes a quick blip on the throttle & catch it on the decel. You also need to match your speed to the gear you're downshifting into.
Up-shifting is easy... Takes a lot more practice to downshift without the clutch...

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/03/10 at 11:42:48

I find that putting a slight upward pressure on the shifter prior to rolling off the gas helps. Then when you engage the clutch lever the shift is positive and smooth...and quick. I seldom miss a shift.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 06/03/10 at 13:03:07

i'm not sure if it's me, or the gear itself...i rarely miss into second, so i don't think it's me...but i will try it out

looks like rain for the next week....gotta love florida

IP Logged
ghstrdr110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Demotte, IN
Reply #6 - 06/04/10 at 16:02:54

earlytimz wrote on 06/03/10 at 10:34:06:
It takes some practice but there is a "window" to shift in. Once you do it a few times it gets easy.
Downshifting is the same, but a lot harder to hit the "window". Normally it takes a quick blip on the throttle & catch it on the decel. You also need to match your speed to the gear you're downshifting into.
Up-shifting is easy... Takes a lot more practice to downshift without the clutch...

yeah i do that with my Freight liner 8 speed. tried on my bike but like u said downshifting is a little tricky til u get use to it. sometimes when i take off fast from a light, i miss 2nd and hit neutral  Embarrassed

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #7 - 06/04/10 at 18:19:35

Ha.. Yeah it happens to me too! I always just hope there's nobody watching and go on... LoL

If you drive a big truck, I bet you have plenty of experience shifting without the clutch... That's really common & it's the same technique on the bike, just different...  Cool

IP Logged
ghstrdr110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Demotte, IN
Reply #8 - 06/04/10 at 21:04:18

Yeah happened to me last night. went for a ride after i dropped kids off. Did it in front of a couple of Harley riders. They just laughed. Pretty cool about it, let me tag along. I think they were impressed that my Single kept up.

the only time i use the clutch in my truck is when stopped and when starting it up. Some the older trucks that i drive, you can't really "float" the gears very well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:32:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4th gear is screwy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.