Grinding when shifting (Read 365 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Re: Grinding when shifting
Reply #15 - 06/01/10 at 12:51:22

i'm no expert but here's my opinion: the way a motorcycle transmission works is different from a car's. motorcycles are "constant mesh", meaning that all gears are spinning at the same time. instead of the gears sliding to engage, a set of "dogs" on a plate slide into holes on the gear to engage that gear to the output shaft.

image taken from http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/shifting.html

so basically, the gears don't grind, the dogs do. your dogs could be worn out, in which case you should give them some water and a treat and a nap  Grin
or your holes could be elongated/beveled, and if that's the case, you should see a doctor  Shocked

honestly, this is probably worst case scenario, but unlikely. worth considering though and would explain the grinding sound. also if you clutch doesn't completely disengage, it would explain the grinding between 1 & 2. it will try to go into neutral between them. if the idle/engine speed is too high, it would be hard to shift out of neutral from a stop (high engine speed can't match low road speed), as the little dogs would skip over the holes too fast to engage.

lots to consider. GOOD LUCK!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
brianjkirk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/01/10 at 17:43:47

I had the same issue on my recently purchased 2003 with about 7000 miles.  It would grind whenever shifting from first->second, usually settling in neutral, so I'd have to shift twice.  During inspection, the shop said they adjusted the linkage rod.  It's a bit better now, but not nearly as easy to shift as my old Honda.  Shifting between other gears is not a problem.  I'm thinking to adjust the shifting link further, maybe another spline.

2003 savage - all stock for now
  IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 06/01/10 at 19:12:58

Ok, I've adjusted one spline tonight which "seems" to make it shift better.  I didn't have too much time before it got dark and can hopefully ride a bit more tomorrow.  The issue now is that the height of the shift lever is almost too high, I have to use the top of my foot, almost up to the ankle in order to shift.  Is there a way to lower the shift lever again without changing the spline adjustment I just made?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/01/10 at 19:20:23

yep, on the link the connects the arm to the lever
loosen both nuts, one's left handed, one regular
then twist the rod and the lever will come down
if it goes up you went the wrong way.

WWW   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #19 - 06/01/10 at 22:37:54

Sounds like my bike.  I have s40 2007.

Mine don't like to shift out of N when stopped.  My instructor told me that it is normal.

When shifting to first moving to fast, going into first gear makes sound like gears hitting.  I thought that was normal... I try to match my ground speed to gear speed before shifting.  Only seem to make that sound if I am going much faster than where ground speed and gear speed is not matching.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 06/01/10 at 22:53:26

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 06/01/10 at 22:37:54:
Mine don't like to shift out of N when stopped.  My instructor told me that it is normal.

If that's normal then your instructor either rode a lot of mal adjusted bikes or was tryin' to ease your nerves.

Been on several savages, all of them went into N w/o any special effort.
And only one needed to be adjusted to do that cause it was wrecked.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 06/02/10 at 06:33:04

How much can you move the clutch lever before its starting to actually disengage the clutch?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/03/10 at 11:03:36

verslagen1 wrote on 06/01/10 at 19:20:23:
yep, on the link the connects the arm to the lever
loosen both nuts, one's left handed, one regular
then twist the rod and the lever will come down
if it goes up you went the wrong way.

Found the time to try this this morning, but no luck even getting the nuts loosened up.  Tried turning both ways, didn't want to crank on it and strip them.  Do you know what size they are?  Clymer doesn't say but I thought it looks like 10mm?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/03/10 at 11:16:54

you're gonna need to get down there to see which way the threads go.
yeah, 10mm I think.

WWW   IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 06/08/10 at 12:36:05

Well, I think the problem is fixed.  Been out riding a couple times, shifting is much smoother and no grinding noise.  Still having a bit of a problem shifting from neutral to first without rolling bike forward a few inches, but things are working much smoother now.  Best part, for me at least, is just knowing that it wasn't my newbie shifting that was causing the problem  Cheesy  Next question is this:  Is there any way to adjust the reach distance for the clutch lever?  My hands are small and it is quite a reach for me.  If there isn't an adjustment, is there a different lever type or shape that I can find somewhere?  I've seen some adjustable levers on bikes before, but can't seem to find there anywhere now that I want a pair....

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 06/08/10 at 16:23:45

The problem is that the clutch lever travel is needed for the clutch to engage/disengage properly. There isn't much to adjust. The free play at the knubby end of the lever should be about 1/2" or between 10mm and 15mm.

IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/09/10 at 11:04:02

Thanks Verslagen  and everyone else for their help.  Feels like a completely different bike now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:53:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grinding when shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.