Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Grinding when shifting (Read 365 times)
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Grinding when shifting
05/31/10 at 19:47:45

Here's the problem:  If I try to shift either down to first gear or up to second gear from neutral when bike is moving, I hear and feel a grinding noise, like the gears are grinding.  Also, when stopped, I have an occasional problem shifting down in to first gear to take off.  Does this sound more like a gear problem or clutch problem?  By the way...it's not just me because I had someone else ride the bike today and it did the same thing for them and they have been riding for many years and lots of different bikes. Any thoughts or ideas of what the problem might be?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Grinding when shifting
Reply #1 - 05/31/10 at 19:52:56

Its a deal at $200. Get it running and its a steal of a deal!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/31/10 at 20:05:27

Mine does the same since 9,000 miles. Mine is a '06 with 12,000 miles on it.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/31/10 at 20:05:59

I never shift into nuetral while moving so I cant say as far as shifting out of nuetral while moving but as far as the hard shift when stopped...sometimes I get a nice clunk shifting down to first from neutral. You can try a few things...let the bike roll forward a few inches as you shift into first, squeeze the clutch 2 or 3 times before you shift, or blip the thorttle just a bit before you shift.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/31/10 at 20:17:51

How is your clutch free play at the lever? I'd guess excessive. Start by tightening up your clutch cable a bit. My 98 was the same way until the factory cable quit stretching.

And if you are running a 10W40 oil, switch to 15W40. And don't run Actevo bike oil in any grade, that thin garbage will destroy your clutch.

My 98 doesn't shift worth a darn if I screw up and run anything lighter than 15W40, and prefers 20W50.

I see the language nanny is still enabled... Lips Sealed

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/31/10 at 20:26:44

BurnPgh wrote on 05/31/10 at 20:05:59:
I never shift into nuetral while moving so I cant say as far as shifting out of nuetral while moving but as far as the hard shift when stopped...sometimes I get a nice clunk shifting down to first from neutral. You can try a few things...let the bike roll forward a few inches as you shift into first, squeeze the clutch 2 or 3 times before you shift, or blip the thorttle just a bit before you shift.

Wish I could just shift it into first when stopped consistently.  My problem is not being able to shift it into first when stopped, at least not consistently.  When it does shift, there is the nice clunck sound, but sometimes it simply won't shift without rolling the bike.

IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/31/10 at 20:27:46

WD wrote on 05/31/10 at 20:17:51:
How is your clutch free play at the lever? I'd guess excessive. Start by tightening up your clutch cable a bit. My 98 was the same way until the factory cable quit stretching.

And if you are running a 10W40 oil, switch to 15W40. And don't run Actevo bike oil in any grade, that thin garbage will destroy your clutch.

My 98 doesn't shift worth a darn if I screw up and run anything lighter than 15W40, and prefers 20W50.

I see the language nanny is still enabled... Lips Sealed

Freeplay is quite the opposite, virtually none.  Tonight I adjusted it so there is some play, took it for a ride and nothing changed.  

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/31/10 at 20:36:30

Likely, the cause, is that the shift linkage at the engine is off a spline or two, but I dont know if moving it clockwise or counter clockwise is correct. And its a PITA to move it just one or two splines. Then again, not correctly adjusting it puts more stress on the linkage rod and a few members have had theirs suddenly break.
Thinking more about it...shifting from neutral while moving...the gears are synchronized (IIRC) to aid in smooth shifting from gear to gear. Being in neutral you arent in any gear at all really. It might just be that you need to be more careful about matching engine rpms with road speed when you shift.

edit -  there should be 3-5mm of free play between the clutch lever and the lever housing

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/31/10 at 20:42:40

PBLover wrote on 05/31/10 at 20:26:44:
BurnPgh wrote on 05/31/10 at 20:05:59:

Wish I could just shift it into first when stopped consistently.  My problem is not being able to shift it into first when stopped, at least not consistently.  When it does shift, there is the nice clunck sound, but sometimes it simply won't shift without rolling the bike.

If its that bad move the shifter linkage a couple splines. Is it only shifting into first or is shifting down in general difficult? Mark where you're at now so you know how far you've gone after you adjust. Im going to geuss counterclockwise is correct. Verslagen knows for sure. Maybe he'll chime in.

IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/31/10 at 20:47:27

[/quote]Is it only shifting into first or is shifting down in general difficult? Mark where you're at now so you know how far you've gone after you adjust. Im going to geuss counterclockwise is correct. Verslagen knows for sure. Maybe he'll chime in. [/quote]

It's when shifting down in to first or back up in to second from neutral.  Shifting up and down from or in to 3,4,5 smooth as can be.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/31/10 at 21:16:58

If you are sitting in neutral w/ clutch pulled in, the tranny stops spinning. Let the clutch out to the first part of the friction zone, pull it back & gentloy step on the shifter. You should probably be in first at that stop,....aimed at a safe "OUT", wAtching the mirrors..ready to get outta the way..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/31/10 at 22:41:36

You can try one spline on the shifter, if you are having trouble shifting up go down one spline and vice versa.

But I think you are having a clutch issue.
check the marks on the case for starters
digger may chime in I think he's adjusted his or OF
with bike off, in gear and clutch in... is it hard to push around?
then you need to put in the longer clutch rod.

what's happening is the clutch never completely disengages, so your tranny is always loaded.  best work around till you get it fixed is always shift while moving.  apply pressure to the shifter, don't stomp on it, that'll bend the dogs.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 05/31/10 at 22:59:27

Bike tranny's are different than cars,...  They don't like to shift when not rolling...
It's normal...
If it won't go into gear at a stop,... release the clutch and pull it in again... then it will work easy... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PBLover

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/01/10 at 12:00:43

verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/10 at 22:41:36:
You can try one spline on the shifter, if you are having trouble shifting up go down one spline and vice versa.

But I think you are having a clutch issue.
check the marks on the case for starters
digger may chime in I think he's adjusted his or OF
with bike off, in gear and clutch in... is it hard to push around?
then you need to put in the longer clutch rod.

what's happening is the clutch never completely disengages, so your tranny is always loaded.  best work around till you get it fixed is always shift while moving.  apply pressure to the shifter, don't stomp on it, that'll bend the dogs.

I will try adjusting one spline on shifter this afternoon after work.  Also, you asked is it hard to push around...yes, it can be almost impossible even with the clutch pulled in.  To answer Serowbot, I've tried many many times to double clutch at stops with no luck.  Bike has to be rolled forward or backward before it will shift down in to first.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/01/10 at 12:02:59

PBLover wrote on 06/01/10 at 12:00:43:
Also, you asked is it hard to push around...yes, it can be almost impossible even with the clutch pulled in.   

I think your answer will be clutch rod.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:23:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Grinding when shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.