Windshield (Read 168 times)
stevemillerster
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spencer In
Windshield
05/28/10 at 19:55:58

I am considering getting a windshield for my o5 s40, I would like something that is tall enough to actually block some of the wind on my face, and don't want to spend a fortune, any ideas?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Windshield
Reply #1 - 05/28/10 at 20:20:18

I had a Road hrome windshield on my s40. about $100 and easy to install. did the job and didn't look too bad either.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/28/10 at 21:01:59

I made the big mistake of selecting a sheild in the nice warm weather last year. It was small and looked good too, and did the job in nice weather. But in the colder weather, it doesn't do anything. So, this winter I'll be buying again,......this time it will be for cold weather riding. I'm even thinking somewhat of a Faring type winsheild this time. Their around $200

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ATLjan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/29/10 at 03:38:21

I bought my bike with a Suzuki windshield on it but I wanted more coverage and installed a plexifairing.  6k later I like it a lot...  especially the fact that it provides protection for my hands.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #4 - 05/29/10 at 03:42:50

I got a National Cycle PlexiStar II off eBay for $50 that I have been very happy with.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 05/29/10 at 07:44:46

I installed a Memphis Shades "Slim" this last winter and am pleased with it. I got it off ebay for $.99 plus $20 shipping and that didn't include the mounting kit (another $35 off ebay w/shipping) for a total of $55.99. (Brand new retail is $274 for the setup as per the MemphisShades website.)

The 15" slim doesn't cover too much and works good in the warm weather, but if I were the type to ride in cold weather all I have to do is switch shields and still use the same mounting kit. (the shields are on ebay all the time, be careful though it's hard to catch a mounting kit for less than about $75)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 05/29/10 at 08:53:03

Weather whether wind.

City ride, naked except in winter

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N2530?
Freeway the Flyscreen keeps wind in the face -- but holds some of the wind force to trying pushing the bike off.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/StreetShield.shtml
Touring and city winter -- pushes just back just the face and keeps the icy fingers under the collar.  

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml
If cold touring or freezing city winter -- which I do not need if -- would keep wind against head (instead of just the face) and wind against handing.

----

I run three windscreens depending on whether/weather and would have the fourth if I needed more protection.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/29/10 at 09:17:54

I've always used a full size windshield and I just added lowers to it,It make it nice and relaxed not have the wind trying to knock you off the bike.Rifle  windshield and lowers.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 05/30/10 at 16:37:58

This is about the best pic I can find of my windshield.  Its a SlipStreamer SpitFire.  I wouldn't recommend it if you are very tall.  I like it, but I'm only 5'2.  The top of it is almost at eye level.  Sometimes I look over it, sometimes I look through it.  It did install easy, and it was a huge help during colder weather.  Just thought I'd comment in case you had looked at these.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/30/10 at 17:03:41

Fleabay, and be patient

1st thing to do is figure out how big you need it.

take a friend with a level eye not the one who couldn't hang a picture in a barn.
sit on your bike, about as upright as you can
place a yard stick on top of the head light and measure to your eye height.
subtract an inch for clearance around the light, that's how tall your windshield should be.
when mounted, you should be able to look over it to see the road.
when you mount it, several things will come into play, how high it sits at what angle to the ground.  These will affect how the wind hits you at various speeds.
generally, you got to avoid the wind coming off the top of the windshield hitting you in the face or the top of the helmet, this will cause head bobble at high speed.
personally, I use the national fly screen.  the turbulence hits you in the chest and provides a nice breeze into the helmet.  No head bobble.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/30/10 at 18:35:43

You want to look OVER a bike windshield, never through it. Inclement weather, night time and/or the within a couple of hours of install and riding haze really foul up your vision. And oncoming headlights or streetlights just amplify the problem.

If you buy a bar mount windshield, install it as close to straight up as you can get it without compromising the cheesy (ultra fragile) stock plastic headlight bucket. Shields were designed to run 90 degrees to the ground.

If you buy a fork mount shield, run it angled as far forward as the mounting slots will allow. If you don't it is quite common for the wind over the top to try and rip your helmet off.

Can't find the right one in a catalog? No worries, go to your "friendly" neighborhood HD shop and buy one for a Sportster. As long as you get one that mounts to the bars, you'd think it was tailor made for the Savage. Peel off the decal, mount it up, adjust to suit and away you go. Pricey, but they do tend to have a better anti-scratch coating than most of the aftermarket models. Just don't mention it is for a metric, watching full grown brand whores cry is nauseating.

And if you run apehanger bars, don't run a windshield.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.