Send Topic Print
DIY Painting (Read 244 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
DIY Painting
05/28/10 at 11:05:09

Anyone do their own painting?

I found a site that have pretty detailed instruction (not sure how good it is).

http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/cheap-motorcycle-painting.htm

I just need a rear fender painted, and having a hard time finding a body shop that won't charge me $300+ (and I need to bring in my own paint).

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: DIY Painting
Reply #1 - 05/28/10 at 11:20:46

Tie, their are several on here that have done their own painting. Try the tech section or possibly older posts in this catagory..

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 05/28/10 at 11:24:21

Thanks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #3 - 05/28/10 at 11:30:42

Yeah, I did that... Not exactly like he describes but really close. You can get a good looking paint job out of rattle cans that way. My only complaint is the paint is a little softer than real paint & is easier to scuff or ding even after it's completely cured.
I say go for it!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 05/28/10 at 11:32:55

Two that I can think of right away are John Boy and earlytimz.

I found this thread of JohnBoy's... check out the whole thing, including tank on page 2.  Lots of self-painting tips.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262901203/0

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/28/10 at 12:14:37

Painting a bike is pretty straight forward. The smaller pieces make it much easier to get a good looking job done than on a car. Just remember, they key to a good looking paint job is in the prep work. You will spend 10x as long sanding and cleaning as you will spend actually shooting paint.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/28/10 at 15:55:06

I have had pretty good success with Rustoleum spraypaint.
it is basic synthetic enamel and is pretty durable.

I think Hot Rod magazine did a feature where they painted a Ford Falcon with a roller and rustoleum.  The key is to wet sand every few coats to take out the runs and drips.
after that, sand with finer and finer sandpaper, then buffing and polishing it out.

the secret is the time you take

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 05/28/10 at 16:40:24

the article looks good only it doesn't detail paint.. although it's right that 80% is prep.. make sure to wear rubber gloves to keep your hand oil from getting into the paint job.. and scuff the paint up with something like a scotch brighte or fine grit sand paper.. also get rid of any imperfections in the surface such as chipped paint or small dents with bondo you need a perfectly smooth surface.. your paint will look like your surface.. cleaning with paint thinner or some kind of solvent that will not leave a residue is good idea and if doing outside wet down the ground to keep dust from kicking up into your paint.. also on a rattle can spray a little onto something else to get it started at first and dont' forget to shake well..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 05/28/10 at 18:31:28

buttgoat1 wrote on 05/28/10 at 15:55:06:

I think Hot Rod magazine did a feature where they painted a Ford Falcon with a roller and rustoleum.  The key is to wet sand every few coats to take out the runs and drips.
after that, sand with finer and finer sandpaper, then buffing and polishing it out.

Very true on the rustolium ,it always amazes me how well that stuff works, you will need to thin it out a bit to work with your spray gun.
My brother in law is a hot rod nut he always uses RED rustolium for the engine compartments,and under fenders and stuff, not quite had the balls to do an out side paintjob with it. we have a nice paint booth
and a huge compressor, but they all say it's all the work you do before you paint is what counts.And that article in hot rod magazine is true,guy painted his car with a bloody roller. he said it' was a 8 foot paint job, (looks good from 8 feet away)

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #9 - 05/29/10 at 13:07:03

i painted my bike... i am not done but here is a album to what i have done so far....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=174837&id=131714016710

by far one of the easiest paint jobs i have ever pulled off... i hand painted everything no guns..

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #10 - 05/29/10 at 15:32:15

very nice.  did you paint over with clear coat to protect it?

GrateFuLDad wrote on 05/29/10 at 13:07:03:
i painted my bike... i am not done but here is a album to what i have done so far....

by far one of the easiest paint jobs i have ever pulled off... i hand painted everything no guns..

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 05/29/10 at 15:52:02

Here's a quick summary of my rattle can paint job I did last July. Did the whole thing in one weekend and turned out pretty darned good  Cheesy Personally I think I will eventually repaint it in another 2-tone scheme, but this time I will do both colors gloss and be able to put a few coats of clear over the top for protection. As it is now, I don't have anything protecting the paint, but it has held up well for the amount of riding I have done. (the bike is stored inside a garage year round though)

Day 1
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1248572807

Day 2
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1248673805

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 05/29/10 at 17:33:04

mick wrote on 05/28/10 at 18:31:28:
buttgoat1 wrote on 05/28/10 at 15:55:06:

after that, sand with finer and finer sandpaper, then buffing and polishing it ou

Very true on the rustolium ,it always amazes me how well that stuff works, you will need to thin it out a bit to work with your spray gun.
My brother in law is a hot rod nut he always uses RED rustolium for the engine compartments,and under fenders and stuff, not quite had the balls to do an out side paintjob with it. we have a nice paint booth
and a huge compressor, but they all say it's all the work you do before you paint is what counts.And that article in hot rod magazine is true,guy painted his car with a bloody roller. he said it' was a 8 foot paint job, (looks good from 8 feet away)

Rust-Oleum has to be good paint we build them a house 30 years ago,Marge Ferguson was the owner of the company,I think they sold it out about 20 years ago.That was just outside of Richmond Illinois,Thats where I grew up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #13 - 05/29/10 at 19:29:48

GrateFuLDad wrote on 05/29/10 at 13:07:03:

Out-Fockin-Standing!!!              That is killer man!!!

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #14 - 05/30/10 at 01:28:07

that IS pretty friggin outstanding

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2