Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a solid bike. (Read 189 times)
Crash-V
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking for a solid bike.
05/27/10 at 09:29:51

Greetings everyone!
I have been looking to buy a simple and reliable motorcycle, and have narrowed it down to two; the s40 being one of them. I am looking for a bike that will go 25,000+ miles without having to mod anything and without having to add oil every time I fill up (a little exaggerated). I am drawn to the s40's simple and effective design, but have a few questions:

1) Does it use oil? I currently have a gs500 and the little thing uses no oil, no matter how hard you run it.

2) Will this bike require mods to get high mileage out of the motor or is the stock setup reliable?

My riding will mostly be 55-65, some in town, and an occasional interstate jaunt of 45-50 miles with a 75MPH speed limit.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Looking for a solid bike.
Reply #1 - 05/27/10 at 09:34:33

Under those conditions I say you found the perfect bike! Can't vouch for oil consumption, that depends on luck and maintenance history.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/27/10 at 09:57:38

I find that I get some oil use if I cruise at 75+mph for any length of time...  This is normal for a big thumper... otherwise I have zero consumption between 2k oil changes...
... and I have 24k miles with no major failures other than a petcock...
Neither me or my bike, like going faster than 70mph for more than short passing spurts...
I'm gonna' look into my camchain for wear soon, but no symptoms yet... some people have reported problems there much earlier, but I don't know why...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/27/10 at 10:35:16

as far as oil use goes... I am not a good example, at least not in the summer.  Winter time <80ish °F, it uses no oil.  Summer is totally different.  Burn off 1/2 a qt a week.  1/2 hour at 70mph twice daily will do that.

25k w/o mod's... no
timing can is an issue as the guides and chain wear, the tensioner falls apart and can be catastrophic.  See verslavy in the marketplace.

And most likely there will be comfort mods most want to do, seat, forward controlls, and handlebars.  You don't just get this bike and do an iron butt tomorrow.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/27/10 at 14:44:49

Curiosity, what is the other bike you are looking at?

Betcha one of us owns it as a second  bike (many of us have multiple bikes)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Crash-V
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/27/10 at 15:28:44

Kawasaki Versys.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 05/27/10 at 19:18:45

The Versys is a nice bike, little tall in the crotch for me but appealing on a whole lot of other points.

I wish they had a sit up style Versys with a nice low 28" seat height, but if wishes wuz fishes we'd all cast nets, huh?

The Versys beats the Savage on all performance criteria and the predecessor for Versys had a rep for durability as a race day bike.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/27/10 at 19:53:43

Sounds like my kind of bike... at least in name.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Crash-V
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/28/10 at 08:54:10

Thanks for the responses. I am STILL drawn to the simplicity of the S40 though  Wink Been doing some research on the cam chain problem and it does not seem like that hard of a fix. The price for the S40 is another selling point for me as well. In any case, is there a mod to help talk my wife into it  Grin

Thanks all!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/28/10 at 10:02:42

When I was looking for my bike I just kept telling my wife everything about all the research I was doing, searching on craigslist, how much better gasa milage I'd get going to work, how fun it would be to ride around town with her, how it would give me something to tinker with...finally she just said "you're going to get it anyway, just go ahead and buy it!" 2 weeks later I had my bike... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/28/10 at 11:46:01

Here's a tip concerning the wife...  I'm assuming she doesn't ride, so if you think, even at the most remote possibility, that she'd ever want to ride on her own, let her know that this is a great bike to learn on.  Its a "beginner's" bike for many, but soon becomes a passion that holds on.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/28/10 at 13:30:57

Try the "you'll look sexy in a leather vest" mod or the "this bike is like a love seat" mod  and "we'll be spending some quality time" mod.
Of course if those don't work you can always resort to "box of choclate" mod and the "bambi eyes" mod.

good luck in all your 'mods'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #12 - 05/28/10 at 18:42:53

Take her out for steak and lobster, but first have the waiter slip the Suzuki Savage brochure in the menu, when she opens it just say "ooops how did that get in there,must me an omen"
I would say "worked for me" but it didn't ,so I just got rid of the wife,
and boy did that ever save me mony.
Don't do it if you have kids.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 05/28/10 at 20:30:24

Kept the wife. Apparently the puppy dog eyes mod was effective.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:42:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for a solid bike.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.