87 cant get it started (Read 61 times)
aphico
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

87 cant get it started
05/26/10 at 19:18:06

hello all,  

I bought an 87 from a guy for 200.00,  it's missing  the starter, and solenoid and the shifter foot peg is missing and the right mirror is broken.  Everything else is there and it's in really good shape,  Put it this way,  i waxed it already   I charged the battery, and bolted the solenoid wires together,  tried to catch it in gear,  but no luck.  I would like to get the motor running,  just to see if it taps or raps, smokes or anything before putting any money into it.  It felt like it was locked up, but when i take the plug out,  it rolled and sounded like it had compression.  I'm brand new to this bike,  and have read that there is a compression release?  have no idea where it is,  i've also read that there are safety's at the kick stand, and clutch?    

I would appreciate any advice/tips/tricks to get this thing going temporarily until i can get a starter and solenoid  I put both battery wires together, and both solenoid wires together.  the battery took a good charge and stayed at 12.9 all night.   It seems it won't roll, even on a pretty steep hill in high gear?   so again any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 87 cant get it started
Reply #1 - 05/26/10 at 19:32:48

You can push start, but it's tough getting it over the 1st rev.
which is what the decomp solenoid does when you push the start button.
if you push the start button do you hear a click right under the tank?
if so (hope you don't have the starter lead dangling against the case or frame), you can use that to make it easier.

push it up to speed, throw it in 2nd if that works for you.
push the button and the decomp will activate for 1/2 second.
immediately let out the clutch, you may have to play with timing to get it right.

btw, with the starter out it's going to throw oil.  maybe drop a tin can in there and wedge it in with something.

One bad thing about the early bikes is the starter.  the starter works thru a one way clutch.  on shut down many times it will stop on compression and turn backwards.  the later bikes have a torque limiter to prevent the starter from being driven backwards and broken out of the case.  to prevent it, on shut down i'd let out the clutch and stop rotation.

WWW   IP Logged
aphico
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/26/10 at 20:26:07

I put the rubber boot over the end of the starter wire and taped it.

When i get it rolling and let the clutch out, the rear wheel just slides.  I probably got it going, 25 mph or so,  tried 2nd, third and fourth it just wont turn the motor.  I'll try hitting the start button while letting out the clutch,  tomorrow.  Pushing this thing is getting frustrating.  

I have the two smaller solenoid wires jumped together,  not sure if thats right or not  and no there's no click when i hit the start button.  When i took the plug out,  it was brand new, never fired. that kinda worries me,  but this bike only has 5k on it.  doesn't seem like alot for an 87.  

thanx for the oil heads up,  would have missed that one,  i'll block the opening with something.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/26/10 at 20:52:24

If the decomp isn't working...

put the bike in 4th and back it up till you feel it come against the compression stroke.  Then when you go forward it should have enough umph to get thru it.

WWW   IP Logged
aphico
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/27/10 at 06:15:14

alright,  I tried rolling it back to the comp stroke,  and i got it going about 20mph, and same thing,  it's like its locked up.  it wont roll forward in any gear.   I'm figuring either really great compression or something is way wrong?  when i took the plug out,  it moved pretty good.  Is there a way to manually release the compression?  batter dropped voltage now to 12.02

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/27/10 at 07:13:28

the decomp lever is on the forward left side on top of engine.

you might have to wire a wrench to it to move it by hand.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 cant get it started

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.