Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Straight pipe??? (Read 237 times)
MulletViper

Professional
Rivethead

Straight pipe???
05/25/10 at 16:11:58

Im looking to put a straight pipe, or at least different muffler, on my 2005 s40. Does anyone know if this could cause engine or valve damage? Should I get a straight pipe or something with baffles? Do I need to keep some back pressure since its only a single cylinder engine? Or am I thinking about this wayyy too much?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Straight pipe???
Reply #1 - 05/25/10 at 17:21:46

It'll be way loud, and backfire, and run like crap...  and it will burn your valves unless you re-jet way richer...
You will also loose all your torque...

...but,.. that being said, some people have done it, and some even like it...  Go figure... Grin...

Most folks here go to a Harley Sportser muffler...  Tech section has details...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/26/10 at 07:19:42

I am running a home made straight pipe.
Without a baffle it will wake the dead...I set off car alarms
There is a lot of back pressure on this big jug (I blew out three home made baffles of different designs)
The correct baffle makes the bike run much better but it is still very loud. Low end grunt was improved by a pipe that just passes the rear brake arm.
JB

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #3 - 05/26/10 at 09:03:48

I'm running a straight pipe with a 2"X10" harley baffle in mine now. I re-jetted my carb. It is running great but it took awhile to get the carb adjusted.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/26/10 at 11:34:48

AN UNBAFFLED STRAIGHT PIPE WILL COST YOU POWER AND MAKES JETTING/TUNING THE CARB VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE

A STRAIGHT PIPE WITH A GOOD BAFFLE WILL MAKE IT LIVABLE AND AT LEAST ALLOW A REASONABLE JETTING/TUNING OF THE CARB IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

A GOOD FLOWING BAFFLED MUFFLER WILL WORK BETTER, PRODUCE MORE POWER AND IS EASIER TO JET/TUNE.
AS MENTIONED, THE HD MUFFLERS FROM SPORTSTERS AND DYNA'S WORK VERY WELL FOR A STOCK ENGINE WITH STOCK HEADER.
THEY ARE CHEAP AND EASY TO GET, PRETTY EASY TO MOUNT AND TUNING IS RELATIVELY EASY.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST GO-ROUND WITH CHANGING THE MUFFLER AND CARB TUNING EXERCISE THEN MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF AND GO FOR THE HD MUFFLER.  IT IS CHEAP TO DO AND AN EASY JET/TUNING EXERCISE FOR A FIRST TIMER.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/26/10 at 13:38:20

LANCER wrote on 05/26/10 at 11:34:48:
AN UNBAFFLED STRAIGHT PIPE WILL COST YOU POWER AND MAKES JETTING/TUNING THE CARB VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE

A STRAIGHT PIPE WITH A GOOD BAFFLE WILL MAKE IT LIVABLE AND AT LEAST ALLOW A REASONABLE JETTING/TUNING OF THE CARB IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

A GOOD FLOWING BAFFLED MUFFLER WILL WORK BETTER, PRODUCE MORE POWER AND IS EASIER TO JET/TUNE.
AS MENTIONED, THE HD MUFFLERS FROM SPORTSTERS AND DYNA'S WORK VERY WELL FOR A STOCK ENGINE WITH STOCK HEADER.
THEY ARE CHEAP AND EASY TO GET, PRETTY EASY TO MOUNT AND TUNING IS RELATIVELY EASY.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST GO-ROUND WITH CHANGING THE MUFFLER AND CARB TUNING EXERCISE THEN MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF AND GO FOR THE HD MUFFLER.  IT IS CHEAP TO DO AND AN EASY JET/TUNING EXERCISE FOR A FIRST TIMER.

What he said...and there is no way to 'blow out' a baffle if its bolted in. I made one for my friends bike. its kinda open to giver her the sound she wants, missing just a little power off the line, but when I re-jetted it (thanks LANCER) its now running very well....

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/26/10 at 21:07:42

[quote author=55595E585559440103300 link=1274829120/0#5 date=1274906300]LANCER wrote on 05/26/10 at 11:34:48:
What he said...and there is no way to 'blow out' a baffle if its bolted in. I made one for my friends bike. its kinda open to giver her the sound she wants, missing just a little power off the line, but when I re-jetted it (thanks LANCER) its now running very well....

Oh, you can blow out a baffle all right. I blew out baffle, bolts and all...three times!
It turns out that I was no better a welder than I was an engineer Smiley

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/26/10 at 22:40:25

Grin

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 05/27/10 at 07:42:15

How would you guys classify this pipe?
Double walled pipe with one big tab for a baffle then a bunch of little ones scattered down the rest of the pipe.
I have a sound file of it if someone could tell me how to upload it????

« Last Edit: 05/27/10 at 09:25:24 by Bubba »  

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #9 - 05/27/10 at 15:50:58

I'm running a Hard Chrome Drag Pipe I got from Lancer, had to re-jet the carb to use the pipe.  The pipe has a "flow-thru" baffle that I think I'm gonna have to replace soon.  Pipe is LOUD, but gets kinda quiet when I'm running about 60 mph.   I would follow Lancer's recommendations and run a Harley take off to get your feet wet first.  Then go for a long drag pipe   I ran a Dyna take off for a while, it was a bit quieter than the Hard Chrome, and I had already re-jetted for that pipe, so getting the Hard Chrome tuned in was easy for me.   I didnt like how the Dyna looked on the bike thou.  I like this a lot better.  Unless I can find a Rinehart Racing canister on the cheap on Ebay.   Wink Wink  See below picture of my bike with the Hard Chrome pipe.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:21:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight pipe???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.