Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
old car coils on savage (Read 190 times)
lastchancevegas13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

old car coils on savage
05/24/10 at 18:57:38

hello everyone i am new here, i will post pics of my savage, maybe some pics of my other bikes too, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to junk the stock coil on my 1989 ls650 and put one of the 12volt canister type automotive coils, i just thnk it will look a bit cooler with it and a nice red wire, my tank sits off the frame so its all exposed
Thanks ryan

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: old car coils on savage
Reply #1 - 05/24/10 at 19:10:42

Look at the resistance numbers in the shop manual and compare them to the electronic ignition coil you want to use. If they are close should work OK, if not better stick with OE. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/24/10 at 20:35:21

The wrong spec coil might ruin your solid state electronics.   I once bought an after market Crane XR700 solid state ignition system for a car.  I bought an Accel Super Coil to go with it.  In a short time, the Crane unit malfunctioned.  I returned it for another,  It also malfunctioned in a short time.  I called the engineering department at Crane and explained the problem.  They told me that you must match the unit to a correct spec coil, and said that a coil with the correct saturation rate, ohms of resistance, and so forth was necessary to match the electronics of their unit. The Accel coil was wrong for the Crane system.  I replaced it with the correct coil, and the Crane system has worked great for many years.

The old breaker point ignition systems were not sensitive to things like coil saturation rates, so switching from one brand coil to the next would work as long as the ohms were right.  Your Savage has a sophisticated electronic solid state ignition system and for systems like this, coils must be matched to the system.  

Maybe you will get away with the switch.  Maybe you won't, or maybe it will work for awhile like my Crane system did, and then fry the solid state parts.  Problem is, it will be hard to find out the saturation rate specs for your substitute coil, and probably just as hard to find out what the Savage system's needs are in that area.  So why take the chance of ruining some expensive parts or breaking down while out on the road, just for looks?  You have a really well engineered motorcycle that is designed for reliability.  There are many other appearance mods you can make that will really stand the bike out and won't affect reliability.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/25/10 at 06:52:24

carflex comes in different colors and sizes you could sleeve the coil wire if looks are all youre after..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/25/10 at 11:10:23

I'm in with Gort. There's a difference in impedance and some other factors between coils for points and coils 4 elect. ignition. Not sure which and what, but I had a similar experience Gort did. On a f$$king Yugo!!! Imagine that.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 06/17/10 at 21:12:33

I did it on my '77 Yamaha XS750D.....three sets of points, three big car coils!

Worked fine, I guess, but the charging system had a hard time keeping the battery charged.  Seems those big coils used a lot of juice!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:21:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › old car coils on savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.