Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BEST TIRE (Read 487 times)
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Re: BEST TIRE
Reply #15 - 05/26/10 at 10:04:30

If you ride daily, thicker tread makes sense.
If it sits a lot the dry rot will get you.

Here is the thread I started when I was looking to replace old stock tires, has great feedback from members

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267116732/0

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 05/26/10 at 10:46:04

Yep, certainly is a good "I like it" thread.    No specifics on mileage or anything else mentioned anywhere.

=========

Metzler ME880 seems to be nice, but Toymaker for example wore one out inside 2-3 years seems like .... maybe he'll mention a mileage for us.

Who else has a total mileage wear out figure for an ME880?

I know ME880's get used here on the list (and they get replaced too).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #17 - 05/26/10 at 11:46:51

for me the price and mileage of a tire is second to the grip it provides in a verity of weather situations.

the metzeler seams to be a harder higher mileage tyre, so it stands to reason that the trade off for those miles is less grip.

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/26/10 at 12:56:41

jabman wrote on 05/26/10 at 11:46:51:
for me the price and mileage of a tire is second to the grip it provides in a verity of weather situations.

the metzeler seams to be a harder higher mileage tyre, so it stands to reason that the trade off for those miles is less grip.

jabman.
The Metzeler is a VERY good tire for handling, gripping the road, wet surfaces, whatever you want to call it.  I do mostly back roads, lots of twisties, hills, water crossings, riding in the rain, some dirt/gravel.  Almost never on the freeway.  And, I get good mileage.
The draw back.. expensive!  That's the trade off with Metzeler.

One of the problems with getting an objective view of "tire A handles better than tire B" is that when you put on a NEW tire, it may handle better than the OLD tire, simply because it is new.

My opinion comes from running Dunlop 404's (expired around 10k miles), then put on my first set of Metzelers.  Those really grabbed the road!!
HOWEVER, when I put on a replacement Metzeler in the front, it was not much of a change from the old tire.  Probably because I was use to the way they handled.

OF, I wore my rear Metzelers out inside a year (I would have to check my maint log to be sure how long it actually was).  I ride a lot.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #19 - 05/26/10 at 13:20:29

yes im sure the metzeler does grip ok, the main problem with grip seams to lie with the cheap Chinese tyres that i have used on previous bikes in the past until I got them changed, they are rock solid and literately always look 'new', i swapped them for a set of metzeler me33 if if remember right, which were very soft and wore alot by the time i sold the bike on. But have so much grip I could virtually lay the bike down in the corners. Like I can easily scrape pegs with my mt66's in the wet.

My bike came with bridgestone exedra tyres   the rear was worn flat out in the middle due to highway use so it cornered terribly, so i carnt really comment on that tyre.  Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #20 - 05/27/10 at 07:16:54

We will get more miles out of a tire that some one using the exact same tire on a heavier bike. The weight of the bike and how a person rides effects tire wear. The shop that I get my tires from told me that I should get about 14000-15000 miles out of a Metzler rear tire on the Savage/S40. I am halfway there so we will see. I like to push a little hard in the curves. I had Pirelli tires on my Suzuki Burgman and got 10000 miles out of both front and back tires. I switched to Metzler Feel Free tires when I replaced them. The scoot handles better with the Metzler tires (to me).

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 05/27/10 at 07:35:19

"OF...16K on the Metz, 1.something years" sez Toymaker

Metzler tires have very strong mileage recommendations

(average of 18,300 miles on the back of a Savage so far)

This is far superior to most tires, most crap out around 9,000 miles.

At the best prices mentioned,  a Metz yields 0.65 cents a mile which is superior value for a bike tire.

WARNING

<stop reading now -- everything else is pure evil and will rot your eyes out>

Comparing it to a darksider tire though tells a different story, the darksider will last even longer and will cost 1/2 as much as the Metzler.  In my case, my darksider tire cost 1/4 as much as a Metz and looks like it will outlast the Metzler by around 4-6 thousand miles.  This yields a cost per mile of 0.14 cents per mile which is significantly less than the very best bike tire.  Grip, handling and braking and all are good to me, but not your cup of tea I am sure.  

Go to the sink and wash the evil out of your eyes before any permanent damage is done to your oculars.  

I told you not to read it !!

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #22 - 05/27/10 at 08:21:17

pushin 9k on my metzs'

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 05/27/10 at 08:21:45

You got one of those metz on yours now OF Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #24 - 05/27/10 at 08:40:49

18,000 miles on my rear ME880.  It needs to be replaced soon.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 05/27/10 at 09:29:28

OF, I can't recall ever seeing any pics of your bike.  Are there any out here in ss.com-land?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 05/27/10 at 10:11:11

Baby Hog if you want Silver Surfer pics go here -- this is the source pool for all the pics in the tech section.

http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/11/ppuser/11721

There are more pics of my bike on the site than any other scooter,  by a factor of 10 at least.

Heck, there are more pics of Serenity's old engine that most members bikes.  

However, there are NO PICTURES OF ME, period, end of story --- anywhere ....   I instantly break the lenses of all cameras that try.  

Even my own dog is completely agast at having to look me straight in the mug.

To see pics of me, you have to go to the Dragon party and take them yourself.    hee hee hee

Grin   Grin

« Last Edit: 05/27/10 at 17:20:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #27 - 05/28/10 at 05:32:15

Oh yea, the Silver Surfer!  Thanks for the pics, it was your rear I was interested in seeing...  Tire, that is...  LOL  

You must be ugly if that cute lil doggie won't even look at ya!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 05/28/10 at 10:19:42

Yup, I am so ugly the cops won't even stay to give me a ticket.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #29 - 05/28/10 at 10:37:55

Avon Venom's seem to be pretty good tires.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › BEST TIRE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.