Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
JB Weld (Read 154 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
JB Weld
05/24/10 at 17:30:49

Anyone have experience with JB Weld?  Is it strong enough for motorcycle work?

Thanks in advance.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: JB Weld
Reply #1 - 05/24/10 at 18:03:11

I think it depends on what you are doing with it.

I once fixed a hole in my ATV's exhaust, put a piece of screen in the hole, JB welded it up and it is still holding a couple of years later.

Someone tried it up in the head, maybe to repair the cam guides, I can't remember.  That didn't work.

So, I don't know.  It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/24/10 at 18:27:31

I used it to fix a broken plastic gas tank on a B&S lawn mower that fell off a pickup, and it was and still is like new.

You can fill a hole, and drill it, and tap it, but anymore than a snug wrenching, it will pull out.

Like was said, depends.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 05/24/10 at 18:37:26

I'm using it for the front pulley. Third and last pulley. The shaft got worn a bit much before I discovered it. No matter how much I torqued that sucker down it would not stay tight. Anyhoo, after I replaced the seal behind a new pulley, I used the JB weld. It's been 8,000 + miles and it's still holding.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #4 - 05/24/10 at 18:46:31

I've got it in several places on my bike. I'm also the goofy bastard that used it in the head.  Shocked I had grooves in the camshaft bearing surfaces, I used it to smooth out the surfaces. I got 1000 miles on it, but the combination of friction and oil pretty much wiped it out. I'd say it had more to do with the friction part. Use it to patch holes, repair threads (fill, drill and tap, or smooth out dents and dings, but I wouldn't recommend it for any friction points. Leave that for professional welding rods.

It does handle heat well, but does not conduct electricity so don't use it to repair any electrical connections. Found that out the hard way on a ground connection.. Angry as my wife says, should have read the directions!!

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/24/10 at 19:12:38

The Camaro radiator, 36.564457,-118.127934 (Tuttle Creek Campground.)
JB Weld held the seam, had about two years be for the rust.
Wendy was in the Radio Advertisement and her Husband.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/24/10 at 19:43:08

JB Weld epoxy has temperature limitations and can be easily removed with a propane soldering torch.  It just turns into a chunky dust after a minute or so.  Also, repeated heating and cooling eventually cause it to lose its bond and come apart. Never use it on anything your life depends on.  The rule of thumb for any over the counter epoxy is don't trust the bond for more than a year.  It may well last longer than that, but often doesn't for a whole variety of reasons from incorrect mixing of proportions, to variances in temperatures and vibrations the epoxy repair may be subjected to.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #7 - 05/24/10 at 21:33:54

Thanks for the advices.  I really appreciate it.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #8 - 05/25/10 at 02:58:56

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/24/10 at 17:30:49:
Anyone have experience with JB Weld?  Is it strong enough for motorcycle work?

Thanks in advance.

Curious, what did you want to fix with it?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 05/25/10 at 07:35:11

a good friend of mine has a chopper that the rubber tank mounts weren't big enough and the tank cracked, so he drained the tank and worked jb in there and hasn't had a problem ever since!

i just use radiator hose clamps  Shocked

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/25/10 at 09:22:59

When I was a mechanic at Western Company I repaired a seal surface in a frac pump. We needed one more pump on a job & that seal had leaked on the last job & that high pressure water washed the steel out enough that a new seal wouldnt hold water at zero pressure. I told the boss I could make it seal, but had no idea if it would last rfor the job, but it did it, pumping at pressures suficient to pump sand & crap into a formation & fracture it to allow the oil to migrate to the wellbore more quickly. Naturally, they pulled the fluid end & shipped it off for repair after the job, so how long it would have lasted wasnt ever known.
Some places tho, JB weld is a total bust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 13:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › JB Weld

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.