Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seat mod to Solo (Read 378 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Seat mod to Solo
05/23/10 at 12:00:19

Anyone have experience in bobbing the S40 Seat?  The one piece seat for two folks converted to solo?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Seat mod to Solo
Reply #1 - 05/23/10 at 13:09:28

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1239947885/
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1253068678/19#19
....  Find it.....
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214523580
Back I got the stock saddle, the big fit me fine at 5"9" but wife looked like a toy with her 6"2" 36" inseam.

My first try to the the springer seat the saddle was just a stock bar with the stock saddle bolts, a 4" tall front mount.  Stupid high for me, but looked the saddle felt just fine!

All you need to do is figure what your butt should be at, then then were the seat is at.

WWW   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 05/23/10 at 16:55:22

Wow that seems like like of fabrications of parts to make it work (solo seat).... since I only have simple hand tools.

I guess I will have to really consider the BlueCollarBobber option, since I have not seen any Solo seat and mounting bracket that fits the savage.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #3 - 05/23/10 at 18:45:34

I bought some 1/8" x 3/4" x 24" bar steel in Lowes.  Had with a hack saw, drilled some holes, bent the bar to hole the stock mounts.  Did the weld, but could to the front mount bar with bolted in stead.  I had make as to what I was doing, but it worked for me.

Some of things that I was thinking of included using a steel tractor seat or a horse western saddle.

As long as you do not change the stock saddle back while trying things you can keep see what works until it does.

------

I have a $0.99 gas tank that I'm working it into 2" taller.  May or may not -- but it's FUN.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #4 - 05/23/10 at 19:09:13

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/23/10 at 16:55:22:
Wow that seems like like of fabrications of parts to make it work (solo seat).... since I only have simple hand tools.

I guess I will have to really consider the BlueCollarBobber option, since I have not seen any Solo seat and mounting bracket that fits the savage.

I'm gonna go with a solo spring seat myself since I'm gonna bob my bike. You should avoid the BCB setup man, unless u have the money of course. The seat kit alone is $325! There are plenty of pluses with it tho, I mean the quality is great and it's custom engineered for a perfect fit. I wanted it too because I also lack the tools a know how, but I'm gonna attempt it on my own rather than paying $325. Their slogan should be "blue collar bobbers at white collar prices". Maybe I'm cheap I don't know....

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #5 - 05/23/10 at 19:12:48

I have to agree... BCB sure is expensive.  It would be great if we can share what we are planning and what challenges we run into.  

Edgar wrote on 05/23/10 at 19:09:13:
Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/23/10 at 16:55:22:

I'm gonna go with a solo spring seat myself since I'm gonna bob my bike. You should avoid the BCB setup man, unless u have the money of course. The seat kit alone is $325! There are plenty of pluses with it tho, I mean the quality is great and it's custom engineered for a perfect fit. I wanted it too because I also lack the tools a know how, but I'm gonna attempt it on my own rather than paying $325. Their slogan should be "blue collar bobbers at white collar prices". Maybe I'm cheap I don't know....

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 05/23/10 at 19:39:54

I just found this.  It's not for Savage, but it gave me some pointers.

http://www.spiritchopshop.com/mod%20webpages/OldSchoolSoloSeatMod.htm

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #7 - 05/23/10 at 19:40:49

Well I have a few plans running around my head, but until I physically have the seat it's hard to know if any of them will work out. But some plans involve sheet metal, some just the frame itself others a combination of both. It's tricky until the end of the month when I order my seat.

Does anyone know if jb weld is strong/reliable enough to securly hold down the seat while I'm riding??? If it is it's gonna be my best friend!

Do you have anything in mind for the seat?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #8 - 05/23/10 at 19:49:14

I was thinking one of these seats... very comfortable looking.

I need to figure out how it is mounted...

Also considering using High impact ABS plastic to create the bracket to hide the wires.

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #9 - 05/23/10 at 20:05:22

I was gonna get the $40 ones from eBay! I'm trying to keep all bobbing mods under $600 total. That way the total Cost of my bike is $1,300. Were u keeping the stock fender?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #10 - 05/23/10 at 21:01:01

I was planning on using the front fender, but I prob won't.  I just took off the front fender to see if it would fit in rear.  The rear tire is too wide... which means I would have to cut the sides off the front fender to make it work, like here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274490832

I am really considering cutting my stock seat to remove pillion section.  Oh course I would have to DIY the seat by pulling the cover and stapling it tight.  Positive side of this that I can use the stock mounting and bolts.  

This still means I have to get a new fender... which I will look in ebay.
Only reservation about this whole project is the cost... keeps going up, when I add the painting cost, lic bracket, stop lights.

I will do the stock seat mod and see how it comes out.  It is is good and I keep it, then I will just get a fender off ebay and do it.  If the seat is all jacked up, I will go BCB.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #11 - 05/23/10 at 21:14:56

http://www.jirehcycles.com/Jireh2010catalog.pdf

The ULTIMAŽ SADDLES "HIGH NOON" 13" *leather* about $50.  $3 for 3" spring, $4 for 5" spring.  (I used Lowes for Ny-lock nuts.)

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #12 - 05/23/10 at 21:20:03

I'm interested in seeing the result, keep us updated. Have up thought of maybe taking your bike to a local metal fab shop and gettng a quote on something they can fab up? That's my option if I can't get mine done alone, and still may come out cheaper than BCB

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #13 - 05/23/10 at 21:21:46

I think u can use the single seat from a savage pretty easy.  I am interested in an s40 seat.  If anyone wants to trade seats or sell me their s40 seat.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #14 - 05/23/10 at 21:23:07

Wow thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:32:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat mod to Solo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.