Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another Noob Question-White Spacer (Read 347 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Another Noob Question-White Spacer
Reply #15 - 05/21/10 at 22:33:22

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/21/10 at 08:52:35:
I am having major popping and low end throttle response after upgrading to HD muffler.

Be sure that you don't have any exhaust leaks first and your idle is set high enough. After swapping my muffler to a HD, I found I had a small leak and the joint between the header and the muffler. After a beer so I could make a shim it was better, but at that point I had read more about being able to rotate the header slightly to change the angle. After I did that it was popping like crazy so I knew I had a head to header leak. Once I got that tightened down right my popping almost entirely dissappeared without a re-jet of any kind!

I may still need to re-jet but that's after I do the other roll-on tests and such to determine what is truly needed in my application since each one seems to be different.

Good luck, and let us know what combination works for you!  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #16 - 05/22/10 at 00:24:16

you mean change the idle (thumbscrew on left side of carb?

EJID wrote on 05/21/10 at 22:33:22:
Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/21/10 at 08:52:35:
I am having major popping and low end throttle response after upgrading to HD muffler.

Be sure that you don't have any exhaust leaks first and your idle is set high enough. After swapping my muffler to a HD, I found I had a small leak and the joint between the header and the muffler. After a beer so I could make a shim it was better, but at that point I had read more about being able to rotate the header slightly to change the angle. After I did that it was popping like crazy so I knew I had a head to header leak. Once I got that tightened down right my popping almost entirely dissappeared without a re-jet of any kind!

I may still need to re-jet but that's after I do the other roll-on tests and such to determine what is truly needed in my application since each one seems to be different.

Good luck, and let us know what combination works for you!  Cool

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #17 - 05/22/10 at 00:45:37

Most of my popping on decel was eliminated by increasing the idle slightly (the thumbscrew) after I was sure that there were no more exhaust leaks (even the smallest leak causes some popping)  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 05/22/10 at 07:39:05

Bubba wrote on 05/21/10 at 13:05:22:
I got to my spacer by just removing the seat. I had access to the 4 screws on the top of the carb right there. Replace those screws (for real) the heads strip really easily. Also once you pull the diaphram out be super duper careful when you start on the little bity screws down in there (that's how you get to the spacer). On mine one came out and the other stripped right away. I managed to get it off after my panic attack but replaced it with some little PC hard drive screws that (miracles of miracles) happened to fit.
Remember go slow with carb mods. If you really want to ride then ride and wait for a crummy day to do it.

THAT IS A GREAT BIT OF INFO DUDE !  BEING ABLE TO REPLACE THOSE LITTLE SUCKERS WITH SOME HIGHER QUALITY SCREWS THAT MOST OF US PROBABLY HAVE LAYING AROUND SOMEWHERE IS REALLY GOOD NEWS !  
GOLD STAR FOR YOU TODAY !!!!!!  Wink    Smiley

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #19 - 05/22/10 at 21:23:18

That is one spot where you don't get 1/2 azzed w/ a screwdriver. If you don't have one that fits, you better not even think about it. And even if you do, you better have some body weight to add to it all too. If I remember right, it isn't the best place to use an impact driver either Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 05/23/10 at 07:47:54

I do use a small impact driver for these tiny screws and the long slim phillips head that comes with the driver is a perfect fit for the screws.
I set the slide on the top of a vise with the jaws just sligthly open for the needle to go down through, then while holding the slide firmly with my little and ring fingers, and holding the driver with thumb, fore and middle fingers I gently but firmly tap the driver.  The screw usually come loose on the 1st or 2nd strike.

I got the little impact driver at the Harbor Freight store for less than $10

7 Piece Reversible Impact Driver Set
Item # 93481

(1) .
Only:$5.99

The larger but shorter phillips head works well for the top cover screws and float bowl screws.  The driver saves time and a lot of FRUSTRATION when dealing with the "less than top quality" stock screws.

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #21 - 05/23/10 at 12:46:18

I learned a little trick for putting the two little screws back in. The spring makes replacing the screws almost a 2 man job, but if you open the vise a little and pull down on the needle. Then when the spring is compressed tighten the vise so the the spring stays depressed. You can then use 2 hands to replace the screws. Make sure the vise jaws are protected with something soft to protect the needle.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 05/23/10 at 13:22:14

From Lancer's pic, that looks like a smaller driver then the standard one I have, which takes a "too heavy" strike to use on carbs.
I really didn't know they made one that small.

Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:13:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Noob Question-White Spacer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.