Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Master Link (Read 118 times)
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Master Link
05/18/10 at 18:39:09

I'm wondering what the consensus is 'round here concerning using a master link (with the snap-in retainer) versus using a chain tool to join the chain together with a regular link.

I did the chain conversion a few years ago and never had an issue...

... until this morning when I moved the bike across the garage and I heard metal clinking on the concrete- the snap-in retaining clip popped off. (I think I've got maybe four hundred miles on this chain and it weren't an el cheapo.)

Either I was slacking when I put the chain back on the other day after changing my gear ratio or I've got a defective part... or pure chance just happened.

But all that is besides the point- I'm just wondering what everyone else does when they do the chain conversion.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Master Link
Reply #1 - 05/18/10 at 23:04:32

None with my Savage,.. but with past bikes, I always liked the convenience.. and no problems... I always carried a spare master, but never had one break...
They are directional, right?... was it facing the right way?... maybe just a bad seed...
Try it again with a new link...
best of luck...

You can also safety wire a master link,.. I never did,.. but the Savage is a torquey  bugger... not sure on the how,.. try google or wait for an expert to chime in...

Was originally leaving this post to a more experienced rider, but figured I'd pop in to give it a bump....
BUMP!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/19/10 at 04:30:57

Think on it a second -- master links are directional and he had it installed (mebbe lightly clipped or with the rounded side out).

When he backed up, he was going backwards and the clip could see removal forces if lightly clipped in place.

TECHNICAL STUFF FROM RACELAND

Master clips are approved but must be installed with the flat side of the stamping oriented out (maximum engagement force to the groove).   The blunt round end of the clip goes towards the direction of rotation and the open clip end trails the direction of rotation.

(this might explain most clips coming off -- there is a rounded side to any stamping and you want the flat side out when you put the master clip on -- tougher to get it on and also tougher to come off)

Next, you must apply either fine safety wire or RTV inside the clip to plate junction.   RTV is applied to a clean dry master link side plate & clip between the two pieces, allowed to cure completely and then the chain is lubed.  RTV works by not letting the clip move laterally due to vibration and since it can't move it can't disengage.  

Safety wire just retains the loose part after a failure but doesn't do as much as RTV does to keep it from coming loose in the first place.  Safety wire is falling out of favor with most tracks nowdays as RTV works better and is easier to deal with.

Most racers still use a master clip as breaking a riveted chain takes far too long during a pit stop and change speed is always king at race day.

Now -- go back to antique times -- special master links existed with extended posts with side holes for safety wiring.  Some would use a standard master link & side plate and replace the clip with a fancy figure 8 pattern of medium safety wire, but that was a fiddly pain to do correctly.

Dirt bike boys had the most issues with master links coming off, so they had the most/best tricks to keep them on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 05/19/10 at 04:35:04

I use to mess with high torque gear boxes and it does matter what direction you put the clip on (they are directional). You could have accidentally put it on backwards or it got tweaked when removed.  Most of the time they take a lot longer to wear out and the clip can look like its on correctly but not be.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/10 at 07:09:06

I had it on backwards. By the time I got to putting the chain back on after swapping out the front sprocket, I was in no good mood. I was having problems getting the chain length right, adjusting the rear tire position, yelling at the guy on the radio...  Cheesy

But it's alright now. (In fact, it's a gas  Wink )

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/19/10 at 22:12:30

We know its not necessary, but if you want a more positive way to connect a chain w/o hard linking it together, just hard link an offset (1/2) link to either end, then the chain will be joined w/ a single slide in pin w/ a cotter pin.

I have seen masterlinks that used cotter pins in stead of the usual snap on clip,.....which would also be quite fool proof.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:27:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Master Link

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.