Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Losing power at high speeds... (Read 219 times)
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Losing power at high speeds...
05/17/10 at 17:05:15

So, I was just driving out to work, pulling about 65-70mph (which was kind of tough since I'm a bigger guy). The bike was warmed up and fresh full of gas. A few minutes (5? 6?) into the ride, the engine kind of made a backfire sound and acted like it wasn't getting any gas to it (engine still sounded ok, but revved down). About a second later, it kicked back in (almost like it shifted into gear, but no additional sounds), and kept going. It did that two or three more times, so I backed it down to about 55 and it ran alright the rest of the way (another 6? 7? minutes) without any problems. I stopped at a gas station and checked it over--didn't see anything wrong. It started right back up and moved the last minute or two to work at about 30 mph.

I'm hoping the problem was just that the bike don't take too kindly to my kind running her too hard. But does it sound like it might be something else?

I've got a way home that doesn't take me over 55 mph, but I'm still worried about when I leave here and afterward. Any ideas of what I should be expecting? What should I watch out for in the future?

Thanks all!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Losing power at high speeds...
Reply #1 - 05/17/10 at 17:08:36

The carb slide could be sticky or not sliding easy.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/17/10 at 17:40:49

Next which your petcock to prime and see if it continues.

you can replace the vac line too.

WWW   IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/17/10 at 18:08:50

That sounds like the issue that I posted yesterday ... I just picked up some seafoam and I hope it fixes what ails her.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 05/17/10 at 18:33:46

I had that happen to me after the bike sat for months after my surgery, and through a couple of blizzards. I dumped some gumout carb cleaner in the gas, and it worked. And I was all ready to take the carb apart. Runs fine now. Guess I got lucky Cool

FSO
  IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/17/10 at 18:40:26

Yeah, mine has been running around well for the last month or so (since I bought it). I brought it in to get checked out and serviced within the last couple days (picked it up two days ago) and it's been running fine since then. In fact, that is the first problem I've had with it--and, coincidentally, the first time that I ran it at 65mph+ for any amount of time (more than just a few seconds).

I saw on one of the last posts that the vacuum carbs don't pull well under heavy loads and intense conditions (sorry, I haven't been around long enough to know how to paste the post for reference)--could this be an example of that?

I'll hope it is on the ride home, and if I have troubles I'll run it on prime since a few have suggested that here on other threads...

If it runs alright when it's not up that high, do I just assume that I've found the bike's limit for my size?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/10 at 19:10:01

I dont think you've got any worries as far as overtaxing the bike. I dont know how "big" you are but you'd have to be really really big to over tax it at 65mph. You might not get much faster than that, or you might accerate slowly but it wouldnt do what you describe. Sounds like a carb or petcock issue. I vote vacuum line between the petcock and carb. Its cheapest and easiest to address.

IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/17/10 at 20:20:03

I'm like 240 pounds (110 kilos).

I rode it home at 55-60 and it was rockin along just fine (about fifteen minutes at that speed, another 15 minutes at 45 mph or so). No problems at all. Would the vacuum line be fine at those speeds for that time but act funny at 65 for 5 minutes? Would anything else?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/17/10 at 20:37:18

When I got mine I decided to make my first ride a turnpike ride to see how much more power it had than my previous bike (a honda rebel 250 that I was not comfortable with on the turnpike). I rode about a half hour to a friends place. About 5 miles away from home on my way back the bike stuttered popped and died. I limped home a couple miles at a time waiting 5 minutes or so each time after it died before it would crank back up again. I got on here and read about the vac line. Took a look at it and it was BARELY scratched but i cut an inch off the petcock end and reattched it anyway and didnt have any problem afterward. A few months later I opted for the newly discovered raptor petcock to avoid it happening again.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 05/19/10 at 05:09:32

I have a vacuum gauge on my bike, and even at 65 it carries so little vacuum, I'm surprised the vacuum operated petcock stays open. At 80+, I don't see any vacuum on the gauge, (tho there must be a little bit) so I know that if it isn't starving for fuel, it is very close to it. And if you were to hold it at WOT for more than a few seconds, (not recommended unless you are jetted correctly) many bikes would starve for fuel.

I like the vacuum valve idea, but I don't believe its designed for hi performence WOT use.

At my age, if my bike starved for fuel at 80 mph, it would be a blessing ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 05/19/10 at 14:07:51

Manual petcock conversion, about 25 cents for the nyoln screw ..... unless you want pretty, then it's around $3.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 06/15/10 at 21:40:58

James,

Try these tests:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

If the petcock passes the tests, you may want to check for a gas cap that is not allowing air to vent into the tank.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #12 - 06/16/10 at 07:04:08

jamesmackelroy wrote on 05/17/10 at 20:20:03:
I'm like 240 pounds (110 kilos).

I rode it home at 55-60 and it was rockin along just fine (about fifteen minutes at that speed, another 15 minutes at 45 mph or so). No problems at all. Would the vacuum line be fine at those speeds for that time but act funny at 65 for 5 minutes? Would anything else?

Well,FWIW,I weigh about 280 pounds.My route to work includes 20 miles of interstate,which I run 70 to 75 mph on for almost the entire way.I say that to say this,I had the same issue as you until I converted the petcock to manual operation.Mine didn't have any leaks,but the rubber disc behind the plastic disc in the vacuum side that acts as a restrictor to damp the vacuum pulse had turned to goo.
Now,if I'm feeling weird enough I'm getting about 90-92 mph as top speed.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 06/16/10 at 07:33:18

On the interstate I was actually getting a false "out of gas" type stumble when going 75-80 mph, enough of a stumble to put me on reserve anyway.

Converted to a Raptor petcock -- so far no issues with the Raptor and it is very easy to fall back into the old "turn it off when you get off" manual petcock routine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:31:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Losing power at high speeds...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.