Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Advice from VM owners needed-tuning-UFO (Read 414 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Advice from VM owners needed-tuning-UFO
05/17/10 at 10:50:39

I just got my head and cylinder back from valve work and a rebore and slapped on my VM and Im getting nowhere with tuning. I have the UFO from Lancer with the pilot jet soldered shut. Im having a whole lot of trouble with the idle and mid-range so closely tied together. No matter what setting I have the needle at when I come off idle I get a hesitation. No matter what needle setting Im at idle speed is not affected by the air screw. Raising the slide at all makes for an extremely high idle. I was able to minimize the hesitation but not eliminate it with the needle at the middle setting and the air screw 1 turn out. I took it out for a couple mile ride which wouldve been longer but it died on me suddenly and I had to push it home. Im about to just take it somewhere and pay to have it tuned. I waited a month to get my head and cylinder back and I just want F&^%king ride.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Advice from VM owners needed-tuning-UFO
Reply #1 - 05/17/10 at 19:28:56

Been there !

The first thing that came to mind is the float level ?   I've found more fuel in the bowl makes for rich running and vice versa.   There is more that just  "Right or Wrong"  in adjusting the fuel level in the carb.   Its like a high fuel level with a small jet do the same thing as incressing a jet size.  

Good luck with it    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/17/10 at 19:40:48

with the main jet too or just in the midrange(or in this case idle/midrange)? Do you have a UFO installed? Was your float height the underlying issue?  If so did what did you end up setting it at?

edit - My first question was dumb after thinking it over.

« Last Edit: 05/17/10 at 22:01:09 by BurnPgh »  
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/18/10 at 10:29:15

Update - Raised float level. Still idles well. Still, if I increase throttle very slowly it will rev up. Still hesitates/stutters right off of idle if im anything but very slow and steady with the throttle. Does not hesitate/stutter with the choke on. Im upping the main jet to see what happens.
Any advice or ideas welcome.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 05/18/10 at 10:39:43

The way I saw it the pilot jet with the UFO should be in the area of 15 to 20. That will richen idle and off idle,without choke.
Clive W

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/18/10 at 19:03:23

Lancer told me it was unnecessary and that the UFO increased air velocity to the point that fuel would be drawn up through the needle valve even at idle. To that end he soldered the pilot jet shut.

After some more screwing around - At 0 turns out on the air screw with the slide raised slightly, the needle on the lowest clip, and a 195 main jet I was able to reduce the hesitation/stutter to almost nothing...almost. Any messing from that point with the air screw, slide height or needle height bring the hesitation back with a vengence.

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/19/10 at 04:39:15

0 turns and a big main are definately not the "correct" settings. You should never have to change the main to fix a low speed setting.

Here's the best tuning advice I've been able to find: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,lower_rpm...
Good luck. Cool

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/19/10 at 10:44:15

you shouldnt except that the pilot jet has been soldered shut and idle fuel is drawn up from the bowl through the needle jet and the fuel has to go through the main jet which is right under the needle jet before it goes anywhere else.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/19/10 at 11:32:22

took a ride. Died on me. Now I have no spark. I get the feeling Im not going to get this to work before the end of summer. Where is Lancer? He's usually all over this kind of thing.

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/19/10 at 12:25:05

BurnPgh wrote on 05/19/10 at 10:44:15:
you shouldnt except that the pilot jet has been soldered shut and idle fuel is drawn up from the bowl through the needle jet and the fuel has to go through the main jet which is right under the needle jet before it goes anywhere else.

The pilot fuel jet is soldered shut not the pilot air jet??? If that is indeed the case I can't see how you're ever going to get it running good. There is no way the main fuel circuit is going to be able to accurately provide a low speed mix. That's the whole point of the pilot circuit. If it's just the air jet that closed that's a different story and there's just some tweeking that needs done.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/19/10 at 13:00:50

It ran "well" except for the stumble right off idle. If I yanked back on the throttle hard it would stumble for second and then continue revving as normal. At this point its irrelevent because my ignition coil seems to have died on me mid ride. Im getting power in the two line up to the coil but no spark. Which might have been the cause of the stumble in the first place.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 05/19/10 at 14:23:25

That "stumble" right off idle when the throttle is yanked suddenly open is precisely the reason accelerator pumps were invented. The sudden throttle opening reduces air velocity because of the suddenly larger air opening. The reduced velocity reduces the suction that pulls fuel up through the jet, so the mix goes very lean until air velocity increases. CV carbs pretty much eliminate the difficulty, because they control the air velocity. Accelerator pumps squirt an extra shot of fuel into the air stream to overcome the momentary leanness. Lacking either of those, you will have to learn not to yank open the throttle at low engine speeds.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/19/10 at 18:29:52

I understand now why its happening. Theres just no way to tune it out totally? I was able to minimize it to almost nothing but theres no way to be totally rid of it? Just a feature of the type of carb then?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 05/20/10 at 12:19:21

I'm not sure I'd call it a "feature." More of a "characteristic." To add to the sport, the problem is more pronounced when a larger bore carburetor is used. So, when one installs a big-bore carburetor to get that wonderful top-end power, and a mechanically operated slide for that wonderful responsiveness, one also installs an off-idle stumble.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 05/20/10 at 12:30:41

I had a 1973 Suzuki 550 with the VM carbs and a 1975 750 Suzuki with the CV carbs,To me the CV carb was a big improvement to throttle response at all speeds.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice from VM owners needed-tuning-UFO

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.