Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first bike "issue" (Read 115 times)
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My first bike "issue"
05/16/10 at 13:55:11

I have a 89' Savage and up until today I hadn't noticed any issues but while riding today I noticed that if I'm in 4th and going 100 clicks and open it right up it starts to sputter and surge in no regular pattern.  The bike is stock the only mod I've done really is remove the shiny bits and put the voltage rectifier in the airbox.  What I'd like to know is if this sounds like a clutch slipping or a carb issue?   I did recently change the oil but it was a conventional 20w50 castrol ... Any pointers or further investigative tips would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Re: My first bike "issue"
Reply #1 - 05/16/10 at 14:10:11

When is the last time you cleaned your carb? Sounds like buildup or something in your jets, believe it's the main jet that handles the 3/4 to full throttle supply.
I'd check for intake and exhaust leaks before you tear the carb apart even a minor one can cause issues when you go all out on the throttle.

Good luck

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/16/10 at 14:48:07

Chief Gunner wrote on 05/16/10 at 14:10:11:
When is the last time you cleaned your carb? Sounds like buildup or something in your jets, believe it's the main jet that handles the 3/4 to full throttle supply.
I'd check for intake and exhaust leaks before you tear the carb apart even a minor one can cause issues when you go all out on the throttle.

Good luck

I took the carb totally apart when I bought the bike around 5 months ago but still does sound like what you mention being the main jet only kicks in at 3/4 throttle and the bike runs perfectly any other time.  Looks like I'm going to be tearing her down in a couple days I also wanted to check my cam chain tensioner and adjust the valves.  thanks for the tips.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/16/10 at 14:54:18

not a clutch issue
either carb or petcock
check for gas in the vac line
replace the vac line, tight fitting or clamps
add an ounce of seafoam to the tank or clean carb.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/16/10 at 14:58:07

Before tearing into anything, try it with the petcock in prime position. It won't hurt to ride with it in prime, I leave mine there all the time.
If the carb leaks fuel with it in prime, you need a new needle & seat, possibly a float.
I've had 3 Savages & never had to replace anything but the needle & seat.
Vacuum operated petcocks don't work well under WOT or high load conditions. There is little to no vacuum to keep the petcock open & gas flowing under these conditions. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/16/10 at 15:12:19

Sorry I forgot to mention that this happens with the petcock on prime.
I'm going to try some seafoam or similar gas treatment to see if it might be a gunked up jet.  I don't think I've seen "seafoam" in the stores around here any other similar products?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 05/16/10 at 16:08:54

Auto stores and Walmart have Sea Foam in most places.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #7 - 05/16/10 at 20:27:18

jsarsfield, I am in New Zealand, not sure where you are as you haven't got a location in your profile.
But I looked myself and also got my local dealership to see if they could find any alternatives here, but almost no one had heard of it.

Someone could make a killing here if they imported it.
Most the N.Z motorcycle forums mention it, but not an alternative. Sad

I have bought some bog-standard fuel additive that 'supposedly' does similar, but I'm not holding out much faith in it.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #8 - 05/16/10 at 23:57:42

Quote:
jsarsfield, I am in New Zealand, not sure where you are as you haven't got a location in your profile.
But I looked myself and also got my local dealership to see if they could find any alternatives here, but almost no one had heard of it.

Someone could make a killing here if they imported it.
Most the N.Z motorcycle forums mention it, but not an alternative.

I have bought some bog-standard fuel additive that 'supposedly' does similar, but I'm not holding out much faith in it.

GM top engine cleaner (you can order it from any GM car dealership) is often suggested for these types of problems.  If your really desperate for seafoam although I'm not sure it'll be more effective than any other additive.. Additives can only do so much.. you can probably get it shipped to you off ebay.com or amazon.com  .  

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:12:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My first bike "issue"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.