Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First 200 mile day! (Read 77 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
First 200 mile day!
05/16/10 at 07:29:47

Did 200 miles yesterday, Rochester to Buffalo and back.

Learned a couple things.

• I get about 10 mpg better on long trips than my daily commute.
  • Weather that's warm enough to commute in is too cold for long trips (aka I don't own the proper gear).
  • That many miles makes you a bit sore. I almost feel like I'm hungover. Probably after affects from the cold and dehydration.

I took a back road (rt 20) instead of the interstate (rt 90). Although the interstate is efficient, I've never really appreciated how boring (almost sterile) it is. Took 30-40 minutes longer to get there, but on a warmer day it'll be worth it.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Re: First 200 mile day!
Reply #1 - 05/16/10 at 07:40:24

I know what you mean about the highway. Unless I'm REALLY in a hurry I take back roads everywhere, both on my bike and in the car/truck. So much more relaxing. Drives my wife nuts, though!! She's a Point A to Point B type of driver. Plus, there's the added bonus of seeing stuff for sale on the side of the road - like I need anything else, or so she claims!! On a different note, I just did a seat mod with a seat from an older Yamaha, not sure what model. Hoping that makes those longer rides more pleasurable.

merhlin

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: First 200 mile day!
Reply #2 - 05/16/10 at 08:04:23

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."- Charles Kuralt

I admit to using the Interstates when I want to get somewhere in reasonable time. I also find it easy to locate fuel, food (even if it is fast food) and places to stay. But I don't particularly enjoy the drive, largely because of the truck traffic. I try to avoid Interstates on motorcycles, because usually I prefer to travel more slowly. Out in western Nebraska fuel stops can be widely spaced on the surface highway systems, so some planning is in order.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First 200 mile day!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.