Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Guilty verdict for Ohio cop. (Read 210 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Guilty verdict for Ohio cop.
05/15/10 at 23:21:12

Guilty verdict for Ohio cop who shot unarmed motorcyclist in back.

Thanks to a jury in Ottawa Hills, Ohio, former police officer Thomas White is facing up to 11 years behind bars: plenty of time to think about the unarmed motorist he paralyzed with an unprovoked bullet more than one year ago.

After just six hours of deliberation, the jury found White guilty of felonious assault with a gun specification, according to WTOL CBS 11 in Toledo. Sentencing is scheduled for later in June.

Days earlier during the trial, a police dashboard video was played in court, depicting officer White pulling over two motorcyclists, one of them his unwitting victim, 24-year-old Michael McCloskey.

McCloskey and his companion sped away from an intersection as the officer pulled in behind them, leading White to believe the men were running from him. Though both men pulled over almost immediately, McCloskey apparently did not hear the officer's commands to put his hands up, instead turning slightly to face White while still atop his motorcycle.

Instead of repeating himself, White fired a round into his victim's back.

During opening statements, Assistant County Prosecutor J. Christopher Anderson said that the state intended to prove that Officer White 'was not justified' in the shooting and that 'excessive force was used,'" the Toledo Blade reported. Defense Attorney Jerry Phillips countered that the situation was 'tense and fluid' and that Officer White 'was doing his job.'"

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Guilty verdict for Ohio cop.
Reply #1 - 05/16/10 at 10:15:31

the next few years of his life are not going to be very enjoyable,especialy if his new cell mate is a huge black guy named tiny,  and the cop had busted him and sent him to prison a couple of years ago,revenge is sweet sayeth the lord.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #2 - 05/17/10 at 10:42:36

you know, i always try to give cops the benefit of the doubt, but more often than not, in experience, they do their best to prove me wrong. i never feel bad for trigger happy, power-tripping, meat heads with badges that get what they deserve. reading this story, i thought "good, its about time", but i looked into it and found a video. this is a news report that shows the officer's dash cam; it may be a little disturbing: http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0515/guilty-verdict-ohio-cop-shot-unarmed-motorcy...

I do admit that the riders were acting a little suspicious. they hammered on it from a stop and when the cop pulled them over, the one hopped a curb and nearly wrecked. when the victim stopped, he did exactly what i do in the same situation: put the bike in neutral and put my hands on my thighs. the cop jumps out of his car, starts to yell something that is incoherent over the siren, and as the biker is turning, he SHOOTS AN UNARMED MAN IN THE BACK. the cop didn't even get a full sentence out before he fires. the lawyers try to justify it by saying that as he turned, his arm pulled back like he was drawing a gun. but there was no gun. he did not make any quick or violent movements.

this is a tough case, but it all comes down to the fact that the cop overreacted (as they often do) and paralyzed a man for the rest of his life over a traffic stop. i'm glad that the jury found him guilty, but i think it should be attempted murder (he was shot above the waist after all). hopefully this will make cops realize that they are not impervious and must be held accountable for their actions. probably not though. they'll probably start cracking down on motorcyclists or something. but thats just, like, my opinion, man.

-G

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 05/17/10 at 11:15:54

groupus wrote on 05/17/10 at 10:42:36:
but i think it should be attempted murder (he was shot above the waist after all).
-G

I am not condoning what the officer did, but I thought I would just point out that police officers are trained to go for center mass. Even though I agree he over reacted, just thought I would point out that the area of the body he shot at was out of training/instinct.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #4 - 05/17/10 at 11:53:37

Watched the Clip..... SOB Cop was just to jumpy.....
could not even here him tell the guy any tjing untill the shots were fired.
String him up
dude on the bike can now sue the City for hiring that Trigger happy SOB

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #5 - 05/17/10 at 12:21:20

Having relatives in law enforcement I usually try to cut them some slack but that was just wrong and the cop deserves to be sentenced. When you accept the badge, you accept the responsibility!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 05/17/10 at 19:53:52

i agree that it is instinct to go for center of mass. thats where i always aim (on targets of course...), and i guess instincts and training paid off 'cause he hit him square in the spine. I think cops need to be trained better on how NOT to use deadly force. keep that thing in the holster as long as possible. they'd be less intimidating that way and less likely to provoke reciprocative violence than now when they come out yelling and hiding behind a gun.

$.02

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
NEHokiePokie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/29/14 at 21:00:34

I've always respected the badge and what it should at least stand for, but I've still never met a cop, especially a state trooper, even out of uniform, I can actually respect. I know it's old, but this just adds one more point to the cons column. Things like this keep happening and it's always because of a jittery or power/ego tripping cop that someone gets hurt over something so insignificant.
That's just, like, my opinion man

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/30/14 at 09:01:46

The dude abides.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 09/30/14 at 09:19:24

I know a lot of Cops and respect a lot of Cops.
But when a cop does not respect me, I don't respect them.

30 years ago, even it were 'Fonizi' & 'Cookie'.
( And, 'Barny", in Maybury)
and they were racing, and had highly modified bikes.
A Cop, wouldn't even have taken his/her, gun out of the holster.

So what has changed?
It it just more DFI's on the force, perhaps because of less, requirements?
Is it a reaction, (or being proactive), to more, DFI Criminals?
Is it that, some groups of people, are being told, they are, 'Special',
and have the, 'right', to, 'more rights', than another group?

Don't know.  However, 'do know', incidents like this, are becoming more, and more frequent.

« Last Edit: 09/30/14 at 18:14:00 by MnSpring »  

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/30/14 at 13:35:59

Not that this isn't current event (it's 3 years old)
But it is due some updating...

https://news.yahoo.com/sc-cop-indicted-shooting-shrouded-mystery-083958497.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/09/cop-asks-for-mans-license...

Guess what folks... we have some stupid people out there... some wear badges and carry guns.  When the 2 meet up, it ain't gonna be pretty.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/30/14 at 22:58:37

IQ of police lower than 20 years ago
Search that...it's not an accident. There is a reason.

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1048.html

The article says that the creative ones,130 and up,are the leaders..
Then note where District of Columbia comes in..
I used to read Readers Digest as a young boy.. I really enjoyed the Mensa test. I think it was in every one of them.. I didn't join,I thought it was a joke,literally,,I didn't know they really existed,and if they did,big whoop.. Now I wish I would have looked into it..
I once asked a Dr. To give me an IQ test.. I took it.. He had to get a different one. In order for them to be Able to get an evaluation,you hafta miss some. I scored a 138, and have done that several times,now that the Innerneck is here. There are free tests out there.. I think they're fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/01/14 at 04:43:50

I watched the full unedited version of the video which didn't have audio, but I can possibly see now why he got shot, especially if he wasn't following the officer's orders to raise his hands.  It was just after 2am in a sleepy area which makes it obvious as to why the policeman started following the two bikers. At one point the guy who got shot swerved quite abruptly making it appear that he may be intoxicated. Then the two bikers stopped at an intersection leaned in talked and abruptly took off from the stop, the cop threw his lights on to pull over and they sped away faster with the second biker hitting a curb or something and almost loosing control. That's the point where the biker who got shot was caught directly in front of the police car stopped.

I'm not saying justified, but seeing the entire footage and under the circumstances I can see and understand how it came to the outcome.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:52:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Guilty verdict for Ohio cop.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.