Send Topic Print
Header Wrap (Read 280 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Header Wrap
05/15/10 at 22:27:07

Does header wrap help or hurt the bike?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Header Wrap
Reply #1 - 05/16/10 at 06:16:58

Or none of above? That is my guess. In theory - it increases temperature (hence the energy) of exhaust gasses and helps their evacuation. In our case, with double walled header - I think that doesn't hold water. But it looks good to some.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/16/10 at 07:07:32

smells bad when its curing, smokes and stinks in the rain, holds moisture which speeds up rusting. I plan to wrap my header evetually and Id suggest, if you decide to go that route, that you clean and paint the header with hi-temp paint before wrapping, and spray it with a high-temp silicon spray after its cured. That way you can beat the moisture/rust problem front and back and help keep the stink away in the rain.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 05/16/10 at 07:08:09

What I would expect it to do is keep the outer pipe a lot hotter, so the chrome can blue very quickly. I don't know what the next step for chrome is, after blue, but I expect you would find out whenever the header wrap comes off. Effect on performance is probably unmeasurable. Effect on appearance - well, they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 05/16/10 at 07:23:28

i plan on ripping out the inter pipe of the header and wrapping the pipe to hide the inevitable discolouration

any body done this?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 05/16/10 at 07:46:55

Without knowing the rest of your plans, I wonder whether it might not be better to just have another pipe made up instead? Then you could either wrap it, or paint it flat black as Kawasaki does with their KLR650. That would allow you to sell or reinstall the original pipe. It might also allow a little more latitude for positioning whatever silencer you plan to fit.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/16/10 at 08:15:36

jabman wrote on 05/16/10 at 07:23:28:
i plan on ripping out the inter pipe of the header and wrapping the pipe to hide the inevitable discolouration

any body done this?

yes, somebody did, believe JOG did it, but it's been along time since.

the pipe ends up being too big, 2"

WWW   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #7 - 05/16/10 at 09:51:37

If you wrap your header use a high temp sealing paint made for header wrap.  I leave my bike outside in the Oregon rain and have had no problems with the wrap color fading(common problem with black wrap).  Also, after about 2 weeks of riding the smell stopped.  It still steams when it is wet, but that just looks cool. Cool  I have not noticed any change in performance. I think our pipe is just too short for wrap to make any real difference.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 05/16/10 at 09:54:57

The wrap might make a difference if you were running a turbocharger, because there would be a little more heat entering the turbo. It might conceivably make it a little safer were you to brush against the hot pipe. Otherwise, it is just cosmetic.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #9 - 05/16/10 at 09:56:44

Performance wise, a pipe too small is better than a pipe too big. At least for torque... Only when running WFO all the time is bigger better.

I wrapped my header because it was already covered in rust. BurnPgh is right, it smokes a lot at first and smells terrible. I have seen some kinda paint or coating for it in different colors that may or may not help with it soaking up moisture... I dunno.

Wrapping definitely keeps you from getting those awesome, half dollar sized blisters on your calves. It can save your pants too!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 05/16/10 at 16:12:37

Without the wrap the air passing the exhaust would help cool the engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 05/16/10 at 17:04:02

i was gonna wrap mine soon; approximately how many feet does it take to do the Savage's header? i'd hate to buy 15' and run out or waste my money on 50' if its too much.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #12 - 05/16/10 at 17:16:20

I think mine took a bit less then 25'

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #13 - 05/16/10 at 20:00:59

wolfmrp wrote on 05/16/10 at 17:16:20:
I think mine took a bit less then 25'

Same here.. 2" wrap, lapping 1"

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #14 - 05/16/10 at 21:21:09

cool, i found this on fleabay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3-Series-Heat-Wrap-Exhaust-CAI-Cold-/26042...
10 meters (about 30 ft), 5 cm wide, would be perfect, and its only $20, compared to almost $50 for 50' at advance auto. the seller has a ton of these labeled for different cars, but they're all the same - i just chose bmw 3 series because i have an e30 Cheesy.
I've been putting off heat wrapping the exhaust because i like the shiny header but its getting a little rusty and i scuffed it up trying to clean melted shoelace off  Undecided. i'll rust treat it and heat paint it first, of course.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:32:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header Wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.