Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My HD Muffler install (on 2007 S40) (Read 183 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
My HD Muffler install (on 2007 S40)
05/15/10 at 20:51:04

Just chronicling what I did so it may help others...

First off, I would have normally took my bike to have the shop install store bought muffler (as I am not really mechancially inclined).  But thanks to this site and many members posting so much useful information, guidance, and encouragement I decided to take a leap in doing this myself.  Thanks for helping me take my first step into really owning a Savage.

Second, the install did not need an bent muffler adapter and there seem to be plenty of space between the break cable and the muffler.  So this should help in the on-going direct fit question.  I used HD muffler 65747-94. This muffler has a sliding bracket mount (not tab).  Paid $40 before shipping on ebay.

Here is what I did (which many of theme were worthless to total effort, and not needed):

Before I started I wanted to be sure I had all the parts and tools.

I had some tools but most were standard. so I ordered from Harbor Freight:

Full Metric tool set
Torque wrench (16lbs to 80lbs setting)-wondering if this thing really works
Adapter for torque wrench
caliper to measure the pipe diameter for fabricating the adapter

To install, I knew I needed some parts... not all of them were actually needed so it was waste of money:

Cheap Cycle Parts:
Muffler Clamp (did not need it for HD install-External diameter of HD pipe too small, but will need if installing the adapter to headerpipe-see below)
Muffler gasket (did not need it for HD install-Internal diameter too small, but will use when using a straight pipe adapter-see below)
Bolt for Clamp (did not need, as clamp was not used)
Header Gasket (to replace old gasket, which I actually used, but prob not needed)

Just incase I needed to seal the joints, I ordered from Amazon.com:
Permatex 80335 Muffler & Tailpipe Sealer (rated at 2000F degree)-seem to dry and harden well (smells bad when riding-for now). $2.

Also had an adapter fabricated by a muffler shop to compensate for the angle between the header pipe and muffler that was mentioned in several posts.  This seem to be the case with newer bikes.
The adapter was made with dimensions mentioned on this site (7" long and 7 degree bend (diameter was measured and fitted at muffler shop to ensure the pipes fit well).  However, I did not use this as space between the header pipe and muffler was too small to fit the bent adapter.  A straight 3" or 4" adapter would have been better.  This would have allowed for the muffler to be mounted to the frame using two screws, as in the stock.  (I ended us using only 1 screw for now...)

From local hardware store (just incase I needed to improvise):
2 generic stainless steel clamp to join the header, pipe, muffler if the Suzuki clamp did not fit (which was the case).  This is not good.  One of them actually broke while mounting.  I will need to use real motorcycle clamps.  Car clamps are too big.
2 Bolts to mount the muffler to bracket on frame (grade 8) strongest-made for automotive.  I only ended up using 1 (due to HD muffler being shorter)
8 stainless steel washers to add space between muffler and bracket to compensate for the smaller diameter of the muffler compared to stock.
This worked well.

From local store:
6pack of beer in can.  To drink and make a shim.  I used 1 full can folded in 3 layer and wrapped to fill the gap.  (used sealer to help sealer it up)  

So it sounds much deeper and little bit louder than having stock (with holes drilled, like Routy's muffler).  It backfires... Pa-pa-pop when cold, pop when warm.  Waiting for my jetkit so I can rejet.

In hindsight, I would have done many things differently.  I will be doing this to correct potential issues.

1.  Fabricate a straight pipe.  About 4 inches.  The space between the header pipe and muffler is only about 1/2"  rest will be used to overlap with adapter, header pipe, muffler.  This will allow the use of both mounting screws on the muffler bracket.
2. Use HD muffler clamp to join the HD muffler to the adapter pipe. I will need to buy one.
3. Use stock muffler clap to join the adapter to the headerpipe.
4. Get 7" heat shield to cover the ugly gap.

I will post pictures soon.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My HD Muffler install (on 2007 S40)
Reply #1 - 05/15/10 at 22:16:06

It may be, that no two people, doing the same job, will have exactly the same experience..., but... seeing someone tackle a new challenge is inspiring to all...
No one here knows everything, and we only grow by taking risks...
Thanks for trying new things and sharing...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #2 - 05/15/10 at 22:27:14

Tiefigher -

Just use two Harley clamps - about the best there is.  I use about a 4" inch adapter pipe when I put my drag pipe on.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #3 - 05/16/10 at 13:37:16

can you put up a link to an Ebay auction or something that shows the right Harley clamp?  I'd appreciate it.  A regular search for "Harley muffler clamp" comes up with many sizes.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #4 - 05/16/10 at 14:58:09

My muffler connection's external diameter is 1 7/8" so this is what I ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-MUFFLER-EXHAUST-CLAMPS-1-7-8-Harley-chopper-...

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #5 - 05/16/10 at 15:28:29

I'll be receiving that same exact muffler 65747-94 tomorrow!  I appreciate your well timed writeup and will let you know how it goes for myself.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 05/16/10 at 16:21:11

glad you can use the info.  I will be updating the post with "proper way to install" instr.

Don't forget to unmount the header pipe.  Makes everything so much easier.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #7 - 05/17/10 at 16:36:49

Got my mufflers, though the ebay description left out the small detail of one of the muffler's baffle being blown out.  The other one has some scratches on the bottom, but an intact baffle.  Both are very sooty compared to anything i've seen on my savage.  Huh  I'll have to wait for the rain to stop to give installation a try.

Is it feasible to replace the baffle in these things?

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My HD Muffler install (on 2007 S40)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.