Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I can't stop... (Read 401 times)
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

I can't stop...
05/15/10 at 09:18:35

... with the modifications. It's a sickness, really  Cheesy

I'm picking up a set of shocks this afternoon, off of craigslist. They're 12" and should keep me from bottoming out. At 200 lbs, I have to put the stock shocks on the stiffest setting or the custom fender bangs the frame when I exit a driveway or hit any kind of bump at speed. It's more annoying than anything, but thirty bucks for a new set? I'll go ahead and drop the scratch on 'em.

I also ordered a shorty muffler off eBay last night... it's 12" as well. I shouldn't have to re-jet; what I'm running right now is pretty much an open pipe already. But I do have extras if I need to (it's just a PITA I'd rather not mess with  Tongue )

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Re: I can't stop...
Reply #1 - 05/15/10 at 13:48:58

I hear ya bro!
Everything I touch gets fixed... Whether it needs it or not!!

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/15/10 at 15:04:06

I have a sign I made for my garage that says "If it ain't broke, we can fix that for ya"  Grin

I got those shocks on, I'm still a little amazed at how much difference 1.5" is...

I may cut a coil off the springs. Or not. Depends on how froggy I'm feeling later.  Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/15/10 at 15:25:04

My wife told me 1 1/2 inches more would make a lot of difference

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/22/10 at 19:40:11

My neighbors are probably not going to like me much, coming home at 2am with this set up...

Cheesy

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 05/22/10 at 19:57:40

Any baffle in there?  I like the look of your bike a lot.  What's the leather thing bolted to the left handlebar switch?

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/22/10 at 20:07:40

jef.savage wrote on 05/22/10 at 19:57:40:
Any baffle in there?  I like the look of your bike a lot.  What's the leather thing bolted to the left handlebar switch?  

There is something in there that resembles a baffle. It needs to be repacked, even though it's brand new. I might do the lollipop baffle mod on it.

That leather thing is the light I made for my speedometer.

I made a video about it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Look what I made...
Reply #7 - 05/24/10 at 09:58:04

The baffle for the shorty I installed was pretty much garbage, so I made my own...

I cut slots along each side- two per side, a little more than halfway- and inserted some flat half-round pieces. Welded them in, ground it smooth, drilled the holes all the way around, inserted and fired it up.

Sounds... good.  Cool

I ordered some re-pack material, but I'm kind of happy with the sound as it is. I'll try some out when it gets here in a couple of days. It's supposed to rain all week, so I won't get to road test it all until Friday. I did re-jet the carb, so I need some time to fine tune it before I commit to the commute anyways...

IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #8 - 05/24/10 at 10:11:50

I think that's the same muffler i bought.  Any pics of it installed without the header wrap.  I'm curious how to mount it.  I may  hit you up for the baffle mod too if it is too loud.

Thanks

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/24/10 at 10:27:00

I was having a hard time finding a coupling that would work in a halfway decent way, so I went all in and welded it on  Cheesy  I did use a piece of pipe about 4 inches in length to move the muff back and kick it out at a reasonable angle. But the exhaust coupling I found just wouldn't work with the clamps in a way that made me happy. Besides, the clamps looked butt ugly.

I have zero intentions of ever going back to a stock configuration with this bike, so I figured "what the he11..."  Tongue

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/28/10 at 10:43:25

Finally got to take the bike out for a test run after finishing the new baffles for the muff...

Other than installing the Stage I kit I got off eBay, I didn't have to do any tuning. It sounds a little brassier but about a half-step lower in the tone than what I had on there. It's not much louder at all, really. In fact, at about 65mph, I can't hear anything but the wind and the engine itself. The really good thing is that rolling easy in second through my neighborhood, the noise just seems to vanish as well. Considering what time I get home, that's a very good thing. The power band is smooth all the way through to 67 (as fast I went on this run.)

Overall, I'm very pleased with myself.  Smiley

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

I think I'm just about finished with the mods...
Reply #11 - 06/07/10 at 09:11:51

Cheesy

I do have another rear fender I'm working on- shorter but still mounted to the swing arm.

And I want to do the mini-battery mod, open the frame up by getting rid of that battery box.

I used stainless steel paint on the tank and fender...

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #12 - 06/07/10 at 09:29:33

Looks good man!
I actually wish my rear fender was a couple inches longer, like yours is now. I only ride in good weather, but sometimes you get caught in those pop-up storms! I think the extra couple inches would help out with the skunk effect...
Does your frame bottom out on your swingarm mounted fender? Mine does sometimes... Just part of the ride...  Wink

IP Logged
Horatio Hawkshaw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/07/10 at 09:45:46

earlytimz wrote on 06/07/10 at 09:29:33:
Looks good man!

Thanks!

I actually wish my rear fender was a couple inches longer, like yours is now. I only ride in good weather, but sometimes you get caught in those pop-up storms! I think the extra couple inches would help out with the skunk effect...

I do like the length when it comes to that, but the days I'm riding to work, I take the cage if there's 30% or more chance of rain. I don't mind getting wet on the way home, but having to sit in wet blue jeans for 10 hours? No thanks!

Does your frame bottom out on your swingarm mounted fender? Mine does sometimes... Just part of the ride...  Wink

Yep, part of the ride  Cool

IP Logged
Scott_H

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Escondido, CA
Reply #14 - 06/07/10 at 13:20:56

Looks fantastic!  

Any pics of the front and rear seat mounting?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 22:42:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I can't stop...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.