Odd clutch problem (Read 114 times)
Kenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Odd clutch problem
05/12/10 at 14:06:18

Here's a strange one for you folks to ponder:

Brilliantly, I dropped my bike and myself onto the pavement. Bike came down on the left side. It was in first gear and running. Handlebars were turned to the left. I was going very slow.

The fall snapped the clutch lever (on the handlebar) in half. I picked myself and the bike up, put it in nuetral and fired it up without a problem. I put it in 1st and let off the clutch, only to feel ZERO acceleration. I adjusted the clutch cable appropriately and got a slight improvement. The clutch continued to slip in a major way, but I could run the bike up to about 30 on a flat surface. (I had to get home). With the bike off, I can freewheel it with very little resistance in any gear.

A shop told me I need all 11 plates replaced... hmm...

What do you folks think? Why would the fall have caused a sudden clutch issue??

Thanks for any input.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Odd clutch problem
Reply #1 - 05/12/10 at 14:21:26

Read this  ....  replace your clutch lever and adjust your cable at both ends as per Clymers and the adjustment marks on the gearcase wall.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838

Replace the clutch rod with a slightly longer one only if needed (this longer rod only costs $4.00)

Your clutch cable may have been stretched a bit by the snapping off action of the clutch lever.

If you get conned into replacing your clutch, I want all the old parts as they are NOT WORN OUT.

PM me if you get snookered into replacing the clutch.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/12/10 at 16:39:46

could be an issue with the cable too.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/13/10 at 04:14:19

Its possible the ride without a completely engaged clutch may have hurt the clutch plates, but why the clutch started slipping when it got dropped is the first ? to answer, IMO. The fall would have caused the cable to stretch, not get shorter, so the adjustment shouldnt have been a problem, unless you stretched the cable ( Not likely) so far you couldnt disengage the clutch.

Have a look at where the clutch actuator goes thru cover. See how thats lined up.

Make sure youve got free play in the clutch lever. Need to be able to swing it a bit before the cable gets tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/13/10 at 06:42:43

Thanks for the responses! I've talked it over with two LONG, LONG time riders I know. Neither of them could understand what the drop could have possibly done inside the clutch casing. It makes zero sense.

Anyway, I've deferred to the shop and should have the bike back soon. Being my first shop experience, I'm extremley skeptical. I don't trust them on any level, but in this case, I'm too confused.

We'll see if they get the thing up and running. Thanks, again! I love this forum. Been reading as a guest for a while. This is actually my first bike. I've had it since Feb and already worked through some issues like carb cleaning and K&N cone air filter install, and a few others thanks to you folks. Keep it up!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/13/10 at 07:09:03

remember to ask for the old parts, not only is OF interested in them, but when it comes to internal parts, it's the only way to verify work was performed.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:51:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Odd clutch problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.