Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just got an S40, need to call fire department... (Read 406 times)
grimjaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Just got an S40, need to call fire department...
05/10/10 at 21:55:17

... because I'm shooting flames from the exhaust on a regular basis.

I traded a Suzuki 2005 GZ250 for a low-mileage 2008 S40 that already had a Harley Davidson pipe on it. I'm not sure of the type yet, but I'm researching. I LOVE the sound of it, but I'm pretty certain it's running too rich. I know about the frequent backfires on deceleration with the S40, but I'm also shooting blue and sometimes yellow flames from the exhaust when it backfires. There's sometimes a blue puff right after I shut off the engine, and if I jet down the interstate for awhile and then turn into an offramp I'll have a nice Batmobile jet on the way off.

I've seen tons of carb-adjustment threads so I'm looking at those. I've tried removing the airbox and filter to see if I could change the mix a little without tearing into the carb yet. I occasionally get a little soot coming from the exhaust but not much.

I'd love to keep this pipe, but I'm willing to lose it if I can't get it working without the dragonbreathing. I'll have pics of the whole thing up in the next 24-48 hours if that helps. Any information is appreciated. I'm really loving the Suzuki so far. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Just got an S40, need to call fire department.
Reply #1 - 05/10/10 at 22:03:12

And your complaint is what?

Grin

What's happening is cause it jetted so lean it's missing and the gas is flowing into the muff where a little heat and some fresh air ignite it.

But check what jets you have 1st, if he swapped the muf, he shoulda did the jets.  most people don't want to get into it though.  Not hard, buy a jet set from lancer, get 4 allen socket head screws, drop the bowl, you may need to use a vice grip on the screws, I think they are locktited from the factory.  get yourself a mirror and a short flat bladed screwdriver and have at it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/10/10 at 22:18:20

...and,... location, location, location...
Jetting is entirely dependent on where you are and where you ride...
Humidity, temperature, and elevation...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
grimjaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/10 at 22:24:37

...and,... location, location, location...

Sorry, I'm in Arkansas and it's been mediumish humidity lately for us, 60-80F.

jm

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/10/10 at 23:28:27

Okay,... lets say,.. Arkansas, nearly flat, nearly sea level, (less than 2000ft)... with a slightly open muffler,... (open the airflow to match, if it hasn't been done already)... k/n filter, or oiled foam.
#152.5, or #155 main jet, #55 pilot... 2/3 to 1/2 thick needle jet spacer...
Unless you are radically different than that (see 6's, ie, #160+main/#60+pilot)... look for a leaky petcock (very common),... or stuck float, or stuck needle slide (fairly common)....

...or,... just learn to love flames.... (shoot!,.. some people would pay for those!).... big singles, are poppy, and sputtery,.... maybe a little flamey?...
Lets just say primitive,... Cool!... Wink...

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/11/10 at 04:17:22

my 2005 did the same thing when I changed to a sportster muffler but re-jetting fixed it almost completely. I still get a little backfire on decelleration but I kinda like that.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 05/11/10 at 07:05:20

I live in Oklahoma with the same climate as the OP. Mine does the same thing with the flames. I tried a #55 idle jet instead of #52.5 OEM and a #150 main jet instead of #145 OEM and the bike ran like crap. Way too rich at idle, with black smoke sometimes and occasional cut outs at WOT with black smoke. That was with a new Iridium plug. I tried to make some adjustments, but didn't help. The bike seemed to have less power at WOT. It has the OEM air filter, which was fairly new. The OEM muffler has the baffle removed. So I chnged it back to the original jets and just live with the bangs. BTW, I have no exhaust leaks.

IP Logged
grimjaw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/02/10 at 06:49:28

Finally managed to make a video of the flamethrower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NKZZlF18E

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/02/10 at 08:18:25

Sounds like you are running too good for it to be the petcock....
Gotta' be rich on the jetting... since you bought it with the Harley muffler, chances are the jetting is not stock...

Cool!... Flames!!.. Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/02/10 at 08:38:45

If Arkansas is nearly flat, that Ruskie spy chick aint got no tatas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 07/02/10 at 09:29:00

I'm not too impressed. Way back in 1960 I saw even more impressive flames jumping forth from the exhaust pipe on a Cushman Eagle. Another of my acquaintances removed all but the manifold from his 3-horse Cushman, brazed an old air horn bell onto a steel lawn chair leg (to get the ninety-degree bend) and stuck the resulting pipe into the Cushman's manifold. On deceleration it would throw basket-ball sized fireballs. It was loud enough you didn't really want to follow him very closely.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 07/02/10 at 09:30:21

I dunno, I'd say if at lower elevation ya need to go up on the jets one size but I'd do them one at a time.

I replaced my needle spacer first (2/3 size of stock), got better, then pilot jet (barely, just went with the same size but bleed holes) still better, then one size up on the main. I'm good now. 2 turns out on the airmix screw.
I'm a mile high so I didn't need to do much but I have a very similar sounding exhaust and a drop in K&N air filter.

You being at a lower elevation I'd try bumping each circuit up incrementally until ya get what you need. First try to see if the air screw has any effect before diving into the carb jets. Turn it CCW to richen, CW to lean it out.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/02/10 at 10:42:20

Mine looks the same way at night.

IP Logged
krsanky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/02/10 at 13:12:26

how can i make my bike shoot flames like that Smiley

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 07/02/10 at 16:30:44

First off, these carbs are Altitude Compensating. At a higher altitude there is a lower  baro pressure and consequently the needle and slide do not go up as high so the ratio of air/fuel (14 to 1) stays close to the same.  Caused by the pressure differential between the top and bottom of the carb diaphram. So I have been from sea-level to 5000 ft passes without any adjustments and it just runs great at any altitude.
We run these carbs on small aircrafts from sea-level to 15000 ft with NO adjustments. Strombergs, SU's and our Mikuni's do not need to be fiddled with.
Now a standard carb like the old Bings (and Holley's on your car) do need to be adjusted for altitude. See my setup is below and my exhaust does not have any blue-ing. It looks new.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:25:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got an S40, need to call fire department...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.