Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread (Read 692 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread
Reply #45 - 05/11/10 at 11:14:39

Jab, so do I, I want every mile out if. My point is - service it regularly, change the oil once a year or so, change the filter, do regular checks, adhere to common sense, don't over rev when cold and such, bla bla bla - and we will get all those miles. With modern oils it would be really hard not to. Specially some stuff they sell in US.. Geez...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 05/11/10 at 17:02:49

Since engine death lives somewhere below the lower edge of the sight glass I for one cannot understand folks not filling their bikes up to the upper edge of the sight glass window when they fill up after an oil change.   They actually only put it half way up the window ...

This is a reality check for all you guys choosing to live too close to the edge of oil pressure loss due to not having enough oil in the crankcase == you can actually go to the tippy top of the glass and slightly beyond without hurting anything.

Your reality check is this.   Get someone to sit on your bike while you look at the sight glass and then tell them to start 'er up.  You watch while your oil level drops WAY BELOW THE WINDOW as all the oil goes into circulation in the head and gearbox.  It drops an entire widow width's worth and more when you start it.  

THERE IS LOTS OF ROOM IN THAT CRANKCASE BELOW THE SPLASH SHELF THAT SHIELDS THE ROTATING CRANK WHEELS FROM THE OIL SUPPLY.

Me, I fill mine up so the oil just peeps over the bottom of the window when on the sidestand, that way I can easily visually check the oil every time I simply look at that side of the bike.

Plus I have me a little extra oil reserve should I NOT see any oil in the window as I approach -- I jest put her upright and low and behold the oil level will be somewhere in the good zone and I now have my extra time to get some more oil in there with zero chance of any low oil damage.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 05/11/10 at 21:29:01

Towards the top line, I get a lot of oil in the airbox.
So I tend to keep it halfway or lower.

Now OF, you tease with info about what those high mileage lazy boys can do to test oil.

What can cheap @$$ b'tard do to test his oil in a manner that we all can understand?

My intentions where merely to check oil consumption.  Which I have a real problem with.  Here it is, threatening to break 80° and I'm burning oil like a Texan.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 05/12/10 at 02:01:41

Since you consume a quarter quart a month you don't ever need to change your synthetic oil -- you are "replacing" it on a rotating basis.

If you were a cheap bastard you'd go ahead and put that furnace oil filtration unit on your bike down where the airbox/charcoal canister would go with the exit going up to the tap point you jest put in your head cover.

Your bypass filtration oil flow would be a parallel path to your head bearings, would be cool well filtered oil that got used in a critical area a NO NET PRESSURE/VOLUME LOSS TO YOUR MAIN OILING SYSTEM WHATSOEVER.  

The filtered flow volume would be enough to keep your oil charge particulate level down way below what Savages generally keep, so your oil would last longer and the bike would too.

Then just replace the Klotz as it gets oozed/burned/sucked out of your bike and don't worry about changing anything but your two oil filters about once every year or so.   The Klotz would burn gracefully (pretty much soot & smoke free) especially if it really is the same stuff they sell as two stroke oil.

Then, after 5-10 years you could put enough miles on your oil (which would be quietly replaced multiple times on a reasonable schedule by simple useage) to make the claim to have "put 100,000 miles on a single crankcase load of Klotz".

That would make Bill all happy ....  

.... you could become a testimonial on the Klotz web page too.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 05/12/10 at 03:51:00

And mix some SeaFoam in that Klotz... man, that thing could fly you to Mars and back easily...  Wink

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #50 - 05/12/10 at 04:41:25

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/11/10 at 17:02:49:

Since engine death lives somewhere below the lower edge of the sight glass I for one cannot understand folks not filling their bikes up to the upper edge of the sight glass window when they fill up after an oil change.   They actually only put it half way up the window ...

This is a reality check for all you guys choosing to live too close to the edge of oil pressure loss due to not having enough oil in the crankcase == you can actually go to the tippy top of the glass and slightly beyond without hurting anything.

Your reality check is this.   Get someone to sit on your bike while you look at the sight glass and then tell them to start 'er up.  You watch while your oil level drops WAY BELOW THE WINDOW as all the oil goes into circulation in the head and gearbox.  It drops an entire widow width's worth and more when you start it.  

THERE IS LOTS OF ROOM IN THAT CRANKCASE BELOW THE SPLASH SHELF THAT SHIELDS THE ROTATING CRANK WHEELS FROM THE OIL SUPPLY.

Me, I fill mine up so the oil just peeps over the bottom of the window when on the sidestand, that way I can easily visually check the oil every time I simply look at that side of the bike.

Plus I have me a little extra oil reserve should I NOT see any oil in the window as I approach -- I jest put her upright and low and behold the oil level will be somewhere in the good zone and I now have my extra time to get some more oil in there with zero chance of any low oil damage.

Wouldn't more oil take longer to come up to temperature?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #51 - 05/12/10 at 04:55:28

verslagen1 wrote on 05/11/10 at 21:29:01:
Towards the top line, I get a lot of oil in the airbox.
So I tend to keep it halfway or lower.

Now OF, you tease with info about what those high mileage lazy boys can do to test oil.

What can cheap @$$ b'tard do to test his oil in a manner that we all can understand?

My intentions where merely to check oil consumption.  Which I have a real problem with.  Here it is, threatening to break 80° and I'm burning oil like a Texan.

Seems to me your not getting a good a ring to cylinder wall contact,Put some Sea Foam in the oil to free the rings,Then use a good motorcycle oil a little heavier than you have been using,That should help with the blow by you have been getting.I would say Klotz oil but I know no one here likes to spend money.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #52 - 05/12/10 at 07:22:07

knew I forgot mention something... case of klotz 20w50 on hand for the summer run.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #53 - 05/12/10 at 09:10:26

Started with Castrol Act-evo for the first oil change in my Savage. When I could no longer find it at my local, I went through several different oils, from cheap suzi dino oil to Mobile 1. The roughest shifting came from the Suzuki dino, the smoothest with the Castrol. My bike leaked like a sieve with Mobile 1. Not the Mobil 1's fault though, it just exposed issues that were already there.

I'm back to the Castrol Act-Evo. I order it online by the gallon. Less leaking and smooth shifting/running. Whatever works for you. Just get rid of the dirty oil/filter on a regular basis.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:08:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.