Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread (Read 692 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread
Reply #30 - 05/11/10 at 05:15:54

Thats when you really need a high performance racing oil,Not some off the self wal mart oil.Like rotella.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 05/11/10 at 05:48:29

Careful Bill, you are starting to finger dribble again ....  

Watch out for that blood pressure spiking up again.  You know what the doctors say about us old men not getting too excited and all.

Calmmmmm   Calmmmmm

Let's say the mantra together --

Klotz is better,    Klotz is better,   Klotz is better,    Klotz is better

I give -- Klotz is King

Klotz is better in two strokes and four strokes.

Feel better now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 05/11/10 at 05:54:21

Thanks a lot Oldfellow,I want need my heart pill yet.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #33 - 05/11/10 at 06:37:41

Just to stir the pot - I keep seeing (from Bill) references to a "zero wear" oil. But I don't see any references to testing, such as under what conditions the test of "zero wear" was made. I don't see any references to whether any other oil was tested at the same time and under the same conditions for reference. I must assume the reference to "zero wear" came from the manufacturer's literature, which makes it suspect at best. After all, one doesn't have to look very far to find similar claims from Amsoil synthetic oil.

I have been to a number of fairs and expos, and there is usually someone selling some sort of super oil. They usually have some sort of test rig, where one can see for oneself how vastly superior the product is to any other oil. But I am left to wonder - if the product is so superior, why isn't it available from other sources? Why isn't it outselling all the other clearly inferior products? What isn't the salesman telling us?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #34 - 05/11/10 at 06:53:02

I kinda think that the Savage motor is stressed higher than most crotch rockets. Look at the motor designs: Crotch rockets have multiple cylinders with small pistons and short strokes. The load is spread to all cylinders so piston speeds and centrifugal forces are not that high. Means stress on the connecting rods and friction on cylinder walls and piston walls. On a Savage motor you have close to a 4" diameter piston and close to a 4" stroke. And as a single cylinder imagine those piston speeds at about 6,500 rpm and the stress on the rod. Also the friction on the walls with significant higher friction area considering the circumference of such a large piston/bore. And the fact it's just oil cooled. I think that a Savage motor stresses the oil way more than on other engine designs, thus depends more on a good oil therefore. I use LUCAS 20W-50 in summer, and Mobil 10w-40 in winter. I change it every 1,000 miles, since it looks really black to me when I look at it through the sight glass, and sure enough it looks pretty bad when I drain it. It may still be good, I just don't like how it looks.

Funny thing is that on this forum never anybody mentioned LUCAS oil. Is Oklahoma the only state they sell it? Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 05/11/10 at 07:30:32

Our cam actuation system is a high load antique design (bike hales back to 1987 after all) so yes there are high load points in our bike more so than newer roller tappet or the direct cam-to-valve-stem designs.

Our pistons do fail and do wear out -- but it takes over 30,000 miles to do it.

Letting it run out of oil kills more Savages than any other reason.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #36 - 05/11/10 at 08:02:57

Name a proven bad oil that is on the market today !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #37 - 05/11/10 at 08:13:41

I can't name a proven bad oil, because I wouldn't know any. There probably isn't any. I just like to stick with well known brands for whatever reason.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 05/11/10 at 08:21:46

Yesterday I ordered 10 quarts of klotz mx4 15-50 from rocky mountain atv-mc for $99.99 with shipping.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 05/11/10 at 08:59:20

Charon wrote on 05/11/10 at 06:37:41:
Just to stir the pot - I keep seeing (from Bill) references to a "zero wear" oil. But I don't see any references to testing, such as under what conditions the test of "zero wear" was made. I don't see any references to whether any other oil was tested at the same time and under the same conditions for reference. I must assume the reference to "zero wear" came from the manufacturer's literature, which makes it suspect at best. After all, one doesn't have to look very far to find similar claims from Amsoil synthetic oil.

I have been to a number of fairs and expos, and there is usually someone selling some sort of super oil. They usually have some sort of test rig, where one can see for oneself how vastly superior the product is to any other oil. But I am left to wonder - if the product is so superior, why isn't it available from other sources? Why isn't it outselling all the other clearly inferior products? What isn't the salesman telling us?

There was a program on PBS some years ago explaining the scam behind the miracle oil additives.  They showed one of the commercials where a sleeve bearing was placed on a machine that had a dulled, tool steel bit attached to a lever.  The tool steel bit could be forced against the rotating bearing by a man pulling down the lever, similar to a lathe using a bit to cut metal.

First they poured motor oil on the rotating sleeve bearing, and engaged the bit against it.  The bit began scoring the sleeve, with smoke dramatically coming off the bearing.  Then they put another sleeve bearing on the machine, and poured the miracle additive on it.  They repeated the demonstration, and this time, the bearing did not smoke and was barely scratched.  This was supposed to be visual proof that this additive would also protect your engine in the same way.  What the liars didn't tell you was that the miracle additive was concentrated with chlorinated parafins, which will eat away at metal surfaces with long time exposure.  Machine shops use oils like this all the time for cutting purposes, but they clean the finished part when they are done.  Letting this type oil sit in your engine sump allows it to eat away at some metals inside the engine.

Another class of miracle oil additves contain Teflon and or Molybdenum.  They claim that the Teflon adheres to internal engine surfaces and thus make them slipperier.  DuPont, the inventor of Teflon, went to court to try to stop these small companies from making that claim.  DuPont said that getting Teflon to adhere to metal surfaces was very difficult, and required the metal surface to be absolutely clean, and then required exacting temperature processes to get it to adhere.  They said under no circumstances would Teflon adhere to anything inside an engine.  They also said they would be concerned that the Teflon would clog the oil filter, since it would adhere to nothing in the engine.

As for Molybdenum, the same thing applies and it has an even better chance of clogging an oil filter.

The conclusion was that the oil you buy in the store is a careful blend of many additives, created by multi-million dollar labs by engineers who have been doing this for almost a century.  PBS said that oil has achieved state of the art development, meaning that there is no longer any mystery as to how to make it.  They said as long as you buy their top of the line product, there is little difference from one major oil brand to the next, assuming you are comparing the same types to each other....meaning gasoline car engine oil to gasoline car engine oil, motorcycle oil to motorcycle oil, and diesel engine oil to diesel engine oil.

As for zero wear, when Mobil One was first offered years ago to the general public, a magazine called "Road Test" commissioned a lab to test it.  They did this because the general public knew little about synthetic oil, even though the military and Aviation had been using it.  Until Mobil one was marketed, you didn't even see synthetics on the shelves of major auto supply stores.

The lab took 2 new V8 engines and disassembled them, measuring the internal parts with a micrometer.  The engines were reassembled, and one was filled with a top of the line conventional oil, and the other with Mobil One.  Both were run for 100,000 bench test miles.  The engine with the conventional oil had its oil and filter changed according to manufacturer's specs.  The Mobil One engine had no oil or filter change.  After 100 thou. bench miles, the engines were dismantled and the micrometer used again.  The conventional oil engine showed wear and dirt normal for a 100 thou mile engine.  The Mobil One engine parts measured within manufacturer's specs for a new engine, and showed very little dirt.  

This is not to say that Mobil One is best.  At the time of the test, there were few if any other synthetics offered for sale, and none in any of the major auto parts stores. Stores like WalMant were unheard of.  

As PBS concluded, oil manufacture is now state of the art.  Any top of the line synthetic should offer the same performance as did Mobil One.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 05/11/10 at 09:24:08

Yep, and I can go buy Rotella Syn in the big blue jug from my local Wally Mart for half that much money and run it for 100,000 miles.

And any of this proves what? -- that oil costs money?  
That not having oil in your engine costs a lot more?  
That them big diesel rigs must have really nice oil filtration systems built into them from the factory?

Smiley

If you want a bevy of 100,000 and 200,000 mile reports on Rotella products just punch that request into your browser.   You will find cars, RVs, trucks, CBRRs and Goldwings all reporting "all fine" after some astronomical mileages have been achieved.

And how exactly does that relate to your 10,000 mile per year Savage again?

Smiley

(only marginally)

remember, Klotz is King !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/11/10 at 09:25:48

ralfyguy wrote on 05/11/10 at 06:53:02:
I kinda think that the Savage motor is stressed higher than most crotch rockets. Look at the motor designs: Crotch rockets have multiple cylinders with small pistons and short strokes. The load is spread to all cylinders so piston speeds and centrifugal forces are not that high. Means stress on the connecting rods and friction on cylinder walls and piston walls. On a Savage motor you have close to a 4" diameter piston and close to a 4" stroke. And as a single cylinder imagine those piston speeds at about 6,500 rpm and the stress on the rod. Also the friction on the walls with significant higher friction area considering the circumference of such a large piston/bore. And the fact it's just oil cooled. I think that a Savage motor stresses the oil way more than on other engine designs, thus depends more on a good oil therefore. I use LUCAS 20W-50 in summer, and Mobil 10w-40 in winter. I change it every 1,000 miles, since it looks really black to me when I look at it through the sight glass, and sure enough it looks pretty bad when I drain it. It may still be good, I just don't like how it looks.

Funny thing is that on this forum never anybody mentioned LUCAS oil. Is Oklahoma the only state they sell it? Smiley

200 hp/Liter puts PLENTY of stress on EVERYTHING! The rotating assemblies are much lighter but they spin 2-3X faster than any Savage. That kind of power density comes w/ quite a bit of heat/stress. Couple that w/ the fact that most sportbikes are flogged mercilessly for their lifetime and 30,000+ miles is quite an accomplishment (I've seen some w/ much more than that). Just imagine how long a 130hp Savage would last. That's how much ol' thumper would have to put out to match the average sportbike.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #42 - 05/11/10 at 10:13:53

onelunger wrote on 05/11/10 at 09:25:48:
ralfyguy wrote on 05/11/10 at 06:53:02:

200 hp/Liter puts PLENTY of stress on EVERYTHING! The rotating assemblies are much lighter but they spin 2-3X faster than any Savage. That kind of power density comes w/ quite a bit of heat/stress. Couple that w/ the fact that most sportbikes are flogged mercilessly for their lifetime and 30,000+ miles is quite an accomplishment (I've seen some w/ much more than that). Just imagine how long a 130hp Savage would last. That's how much ol' thumper would have to put out to match the average sportbike.

Thats why i use castrol racing oil  which is supposed to go in super bikes. plently of stress protection there.

And yes Oldfeller it does have lots of zddp!

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 05/11/10 at 10:27:57

You would have to look really hard to find a "bad" oil nowadays. My last car, a toyota corolla 1.6 had a 15000km service interval. Reccomended oil - Castrol GTX 10W30. Less than $2 per quart. citroen I have now is even better - 30000km, but it uses some "special" french oil. Yeah, right, special... Total Quartz full syn 10W50. $25 per quart!! Knowing the engine I have hasn't changed in 15 years... Makes me think...
My point - oil wars are senseless. If clutch doesn't slip - use the fukka. Whatever you believe in. You will never meet milage on LS as you see on any car or truck.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #44 - 05/11/10 at 10:54:50

dasch wrote on 05/11/10 at 10:27:57:
You would have to look really hard to find a "bad" oil nowadays. My last car, a toyota corolla 1.6 had a 15000km service interval. Reccomended oil - Castrol GTX 10W30. Less than $2 per quart. citroen I have now is even better - 30000km, but it uses some "special" french oil. Yeah, right, special... Total Quartz full syn 10W50. $25 per quart!! Knowing the engine I have hasn't changed in 15 years... Makes me think...
My point - oil wars are senseless. If clutch doesn't slip - use the fukka. Whatever you believe in. You will never meet milage on LS as you see on any car or truck.

thats kinda the problem really. we know these arnt high mileage bikes and so we want to get every mile out of them as possible.

i will most likely sell my bike in a year and a half or so but i want to keep the wear to a minimum to keep power loss to a minimum as the miles increase.

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:55:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.