Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread (Read 692 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread
05/10/10 at 12:32:51

Yeah, sorry about that chief, an oil question (or asking for opinion, actually).

I currently run Mobil 1 synthetic.

Looking to change over to Rotella, but want to stay synthetic.
Has anyone out there tried the Rotella T6?   Research and rumor says it should work just fine for the LS650, but I would like to hear from one of us that is actually using it.

Anyone?  
(Yes OF, I know you use it, and feel free to chime in on how well it is working for you)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread
Reply #1 - 05/10/10 at 13:07:38

No, I'd rather hear from the other users.   I am known as a promoter of the stuff, so let's let the impartial opinions of other users be heard for or against it instead.

Besides, the only one QUALIFIED to have an opinion is the one man who has actually used all these oils ....

Let him who has the only rock toss it into the ring

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/10/10 at 13:15:27

I don't like it !

Not only do I like Castrol synthetic better, its all I've ever used Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/10/10 at 13:16:20

If you want to go better than Mobil 1 you would have to go to Klotz,Its not cheap but you get what you pay for,You will have more power, better gas mpg,And a cooler running engine.The first syn oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #4 - 05/10/10 at 13:24:14

Are there any scientifically ran studies with the various syn motorcycle oils?  Anyone know of a link they could point to somewhere on the web with something like that?  

Otherwise, to me, it's all opinion.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/10/10 at 13:29:35

Amsoil show test of oils,But for some reason they never show Klotz.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #6 - 05/10/10 at 13:57:17

yer the castrol website has lots of information  Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/10/10 at 14:01:18

bill67 wrote on 05/10/10 at 13:29:35:
 ...But for some reason they never show Klotz.

Honestly though,... could you pick a worse name for a lubricant than "Klotz"?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #8 - 05/10/10 at 14:03:03

Serowbot wrote on 05/10/10 at 14:01:18:
bill67 wrote on 05/10/10 at 13:29:35:
 ...But for some reason they never show Klotz.

Honestly though,... could you pick a worse name for a lubricant than "Klotz"?... Huh...

lol yer what do you really not want an oil to do    clot  Grin

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/10/10 at 14:56:49

Klotz was not the first synthetic 4 stroke oil, Mobil 1 predates it by decades.   So do several others.

Klotz was the first synthetic two stroke oil -- and it was the best two stroke oil (the low smoke was especially a nice feature) and I both used it and liked it in a Yamaha RD 400 for years.  

I liked Klotz 2 stroke oil ...  but I would not pay the $12 plus dollars a quart for Klotz for a 4 stroke motorcycle engine.

The reason nobody tests or knows anything about Klotz in the 4 stroke world is that it didn't exist for 4 strokes until a couple of years ago and even now it is considered a "racing only" oil.

All the claims Klotz makes for their Super Techniplate Technology were developed and proven in two stroke engines ... nobody knows what exactly it supposedly does for a 4 stroke engine anyway as the old two stroke claims all had to do with making a good gas mixture and burning cleanly and then leaving a misting post combustion residue in the jug that lubed cylinder walls well.  

How Klotz super techniplate technology helps a 4 stroke Savage engine (unless you got a skeeter fogger like one of us here does) is completely beyond me.

Mobil 1 was originally made exclusively as a group 1 ester based oil made from natural gas but some information about them beginning to use some super refined dino base oils (the new legal definition of synthetic allows this) in order to be able to price compete against all the other newer group 3 synthetic oil brands.  

So it goes -- economics declare that group 3 is the new reigning "synthetic oil".

Mobil 1 also isn't a single additive formula any more -- the additives used vary according to the weight base and the intended use.   Plus Mobil will change the stuff internally with no prior warning to their user base.  (and they catch hell about it too)

If you use Mobil 1, use the motorcycle version of it.

T6 Synthetic Rotella is JASO tested and rated for bike use (sez so right on the jug) so the standard T6 blue jug stuff is good for your Savage.

Which is "better"?    I can't say.   No hard data exists as no one will run synthetics in a bike long enough to really use them up, much less push them to the failure point.  

So any proper weight range synthetic will work as well as any other since you will always change it too early anyway.

No, I can't say which is better.  That's Bill's turf anyway - all them unsubstantiated claims of Zero wear and all.

I can say which synthetic oil is cheaper and does a good job of keeping your engine degunked and your clutch and gearbox operating well.

But lots of others here in motorcycle land say the same thing so I don't need to.

=========================================

Tappets.  Cam chains.  Cam lobes.  16000 to 1800 PPM of ZDDP is needed.   Read your bottles as darn few modern oils have this much ZDDP in them now-a-days.

Use a ZDDP Booster product like this one to maximize the service life of your wear components.

=========================================

All I can add to the discussion is the wicker endorsement which doesn't mean much to most of you since you never break 5,000 rpm ever.

Rotella Syn spins it up good and shows very little wear and damage in very abusive situations.   It can withstand any heat a spun up Savage can generate and not break down.

And I do change my oil twice a year now, even if it isn't really necessary.  
I am simply chicken that way, sorry.

« Last Edit: 05/11/10 at 06:01:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/10/10 at 15:13:15

You might of guessed, OF was referring to me, the only guy that's used several of the oils in question.

Rot dino
Rot syn
Mobil1 syn
Motul dino

All of the above have left the insides of my little friend as clean as a whistle with no clutch issues, and no extra bits of shiny dust in the filter.

But I do have an issue with Cal summer heat and a wicker wrist that'll burn off a half qt. of oil a week no matter which one I've used.

Now I have a case of Klotz 20w50 that I'll put to the test as soon as my summer habit resumes.

As far as engine wear goes, only one person tears his engine down on a regular basis... I think it was max (key words if you wanted to search, sidecar tug, northwest, backup engine)

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 05/10/10 at 15:14:43

You don't need any booster with Zero Wear Klotz oil.Theres a lot of oil that have the jaso ratings.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 05/10/10 at 15:29:34

Shell only put the JASO rating on Rotella at the request of all the folks like me who got tired of all the useless oil wars.

In a Savage these are the absolute minimum requirements:

Use OIL in your bike (keep it above the minimum in the sight glass at all times).  

Change it frequently enough
(that used peanut oil from Hardees needs changing more frequently than Mobil 1 for obvious reasons).  

Keep your idle speed over 1,000 rpms

===============================

If you got you a 650cc skeeter fogger, consider using Klotz oil -- it combusts cleanly and leaves a post-combustion mist residue in the jug that will lubricate your cylinder walls ... that is the super techniplate technology in action  !!!

Hooorah !!

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 05/10/10 at 15:38:54

You sure wouldn't want your cylinder walls lubricated,Then you would never have a reason to tear your engine apart.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 05/10/10 at 15:51:39

quote:
In a Savage these are the absolute minimum requirements:
Use OIL in your bike (keep it above the minimum in the sight glass at all times).  
Change it frequently enough
-----------------------------------------------------
No truer words ever spoke......in this thread anyway.

Its hard to believe, but some of these posters really sound serious about believing that one oil really is better than the other. I like to read and just LOL, but really, I do have another life !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:00:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warning Will Robinson.. Oil Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.