Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another clutch question / problem (Read 111 times)
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Another clutch question / problem
05/10/10 at 08:22:29

G'morning folks..
I recently acquired a well used 86 with 17k+ miles. It ran really well, sounded good, shifted good, etc... When I got it home, I immediately started tearing it down. I wanted to check the cam chain, adjust valves, carb jets, cone filter, all the usual stuff.
Anyways, ordered a new cam chain & guides. Everything went together fairly smoothly. I also massaged the intake & exhaust ports as well as just generally checked things out & cleaned it up.
Once everything was together, she started up and ran beautifully. Sounded good, no knocks, no noises... Basically I couldn't be happier. I let it run for several minutes while I adjusted the carb & let the new header wrap burn in & watched for leaks, etc..
Sorry I'm rambling, here's the fun part... I get the bike completely back together & I'm satisfied that it's ready for a test run. I jump on, pull the clutch, put it in 1st gear, let out on the clutch and NOTHING. WHAT??? I try it again... NOTHING! Dang, the clutch didn't change, so what could have happened?? I did notice that while the bike is in gear and I pull the clutch, I can feel it wanting to go. Yeah, like the clutch is barely trying to engage. I let out on the clutch and it stops, no more wanting to go. It's like backwards or something. I'm stumped. I am gonna pull the side cover tonight and see what I can see, but I really am stabbing at the dark here. I did several searches and the best thing I can come up with is that I put the oil pump gear on backwards. I think that's worth checking, but with that, many others have reported oil starvation failures not clutch engagement problems. I also checked the oil level window and could see the oil sloshing around so I assume it's pumping, although I guess it could just be getting splashed around by the clutch spinning, etc... It's a good thing I used plenty of assembly lube on the cam and soaked the new chain before I assembled it. I also filled the "bath tubs" with oil before I put the rocker inspection covers on. I ran the engine for a total of about 20-30 minutes before I realized I had a problem with the clutch but I think I'm still OK even if the oil pump wasn't pumping, if that's even the problem.
So any takers?? As of now I'm clueless! Thanks!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another clutch question / problem
Reply #1 - 05/10/10 at 09:04:19

Having a clutch problem after is not an uncommon problem.
I think the bevel spring is the issue, it's hard to get it properly aligned.
or you forgot to insert the clutch rod.
take apart, shift it around some and put it back together.
check for operation before you get all together by putting in gear and operate the clutch.
you can save your oil by tipping the bike over, I use a jack stand under the shock mount.  Easier to work on too.

And while you're in there, check the oil drive gear, should align with the other gear.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #2 - 05/10/10 at 09:22:43

Thanks for the quick reply!
This bevel spring you speak of... Are you talking about the small torsion spring on the clutch arm assy? Other than that, and the 4 clutch springs, I don't recall any other springs. (maybe that's the prob!! LoL)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/10/10 at 11:29:20

There another, might be called wave spring, it's big washer like spring, sits next to the last plate.
there's a little step for it to sit in, and the orientation is important too.

WWW   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #4 - 05/10/10 at 11:59:48

Ahhhh, I gotcha... Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely check that tonight when I open her up again.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #5 - 05/10/10 at 17:29:55

Man I ain't seeing anything wrong or missing... I'm fixin to put it back together, cross my fingers, put it gear, spin the crank & see if it engages... All while holding my mouth right of course...
Oh and thanks for the tip on using the jack stand under the shock mount! Works awesome & I only lost about 3 drops of oil...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/10/10 at 18:08:01

my recommendation would be to pull the pack then put it back in.
you know it's not right now so can't hurt to try again.

WWW   IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #7 - 05/10/10 at 22:04:34

Hey thanks for the help bro!
I got it straightened out earlier & man do I feel like a dum-bass now. I'm almost too embarrassed to even admit what I had done, but here goes... During the initial re-assembly of the clutch I wanted to put in some EBC springs (or equivalent) but running low on cash and already being over budget, I decided to shim the springs instead. Well, the shims I used were putting the spring plate in a slight bind as they weren't seating properly. This caused the spring plate to stick out an extra 2mm. Not good. Who'da thunk 2mm would be enough to completely disable the bike? hehe
So, short story long... I pulled the shims, buttoned her back up, adjusted the clutch & laid a nice black mark on my shop floor to celebrate the moment... LoL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/10/10 at 22:08:07

YEEEEHA! but watch them wheelies, then to blow out the forks.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged