Send Topic Print
Side Rail Removal (Read 137 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Side Rail Removal
05/09/10 at 07:16:16

I'm looking fora little guidance here.  I am going to get some pretty large saddlebags, so I need to move the turn signals back to the license plate mount.  I started looing at it yesterday, and though it would be cleaner to run the wires along with the brake/tail light wires that run under the seat and through a hole in the middle of the fender.  

I started then looking at how to get the wiring out to do so, and decided I would need to remove the side rails.  When I started to work on this, I found the obvious problems with hand/tool clearance under the fender.  I jacked it up, and started to pull off the shocks to see if the wheel would drop some and I realized I was not sure if the shocks were under tension/compression, and would I be able to get them back on if I removed them.  So I thought I would ask before I just yanked them off and had things flying around, or was unable to get back to a rideable bike.

The other question, of course, is will this do me any good?  Will jacking and shock removal get me additional clearance to get at the bolts that come from the inside of the fender?

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Side Rail Removal
Reply #1 - 05/09/10 at 08:20:16

yes jacking up the rear will releave the pressure on the shocks so you can remove them... if they are adjusted correctly.  They should have the same pretension adjustment, if not... now's the time.

and yes, it will be tight. but you will have room for wrenching.

WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 05/09/10 at 08:49:15

I did mine without jacking up or removing anything. It was tight and would have been easier if I had jacked it up but it was do-able.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/09/10 at 10:06:29

When the bikes jacked up,... they are not under any tension...
Unbolting and re-attaching is no problem... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 05/09/10 at 11:28:04

You don't need to jack it up to get at the side rail bolts under the fender. It's a bit tight but not hard at all to get a wrench on those bolts.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/10/10 at 04:25:06

I did exactly the same thing on a 2004. I came up from the turn signal bracket that I made (attached to the license plate bracket) and went up through the hole in the fender that the tail light wires exit. The hole in the fender has a large rubber grommet that is easy to remove and replace. You will need to remove it to fish the flasher wires through the hole. The grommet is split and wraps around the wires. You can push it back into place with a small standard screwdriver. On a scale of 1-10, it's about a (3).
JB

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:52:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side Rail Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.