Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think my Mech. might be trying to fleece me (Read 224 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I think my Mech. might be trying to fleece me
05/08/10 at 21:43:04

My head needed valve work.
I took the head in 3 weeks ago. He said he was busy and it would take about 2 weeks. I called after 2 weeks and he said...1 more week. Alright...im agitated but it isnt the end of the world.
So He finally got around to my head. Called me on my cell while I was at work and told me via voicemail that my intake valves were bad aswell as my exhaust (my exhaust valves were definatly bad, and as such I had all the necessary parts for replacement. Guides, oil seals, springs, the valves themselves etc).
What gets me 1st off, is this - Before taking the head to him I filled the chamber with gas to watch for leaks. Exhaust side...oh yea. Nothing wrong on the intake side so far as I could tell. Upon visual inspection through the intake port the intake valves looked shiny and new. I dont have a spring compressor so I couldnt get a look at the seating edge of the valves but if the valves werent leaking with gas in the chamber, and the stems looked brand spanking new and shiny, how likely is it that something is actually wrong with them?
I specifically told him (3 weeks ago) that I think the intake valves are fine and he didnt need to look at them but I was concerned my exhaust valve guides might need replacing. Is it necessary to completely disassemble both sets of valves to replace one  pair of guides? The head only needs to be heated to boiling for guide replacement and thats well under the temps that all those parts endure during operation. If I told him "exhaust only" could the inatke valves etc not be left intact while the head is heated for exhaust valve guide replacement?
I get the feeling he's #1 buying himself time while I (theoretically) order new intake valves. #2 that he's doubling his labor costs at this point since I told him not to screw with the intake valves in the first place.
He was highly recommended otherwise I wouldnt have driven 30 miles clear across the city but...Basically Im not happy at all with the way this has progressed.
Am I just being too picky and antsy to get back on the road or does any of this strike anyone as...questionable?
Whether Im picky or not I sure as hell am not going back to him. Too darn slow if nothing else.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: I think my Mech. might be trying to fleece me
Reply #1 - 05/08/10 at 22:33:45

If you can't disassemble the valves yourself, then you are kinda at their mercy. There was no way for you to know that the intake valve guides were indeed in good shape. But at the same time he should not have touched the intakes if you told him not too. Best to have a talk w/ him, get the straight talk, if you can.

Me,....I have had really bad experiences w/ machine shops, like boring cylinders crooked, boring cylinders too big, and trying to slip a sleeve in hoping I wouldn't see it etc etc, so I really do feel for you !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/09/10 at 00:07:12

I thought Id go cheapo and get a "universal overhead valve spring compressor" from harbor freight and entirely disassemble the valves before taking it to him to save on labor. So so so close. And for $15. The valve area is just a wee bit too cramped to get it in correctly from any angle. I thought very very hard about how I was going to adapt the compressor to make it fit but I couldnt, in my mind, figure a way that wouldnt have cost more than the tool itself. And Im not about to go great lengths to modify and adapt a HF tool. If the moding costs more than the tool F it. I really dont want to spend $80 on a valve spring compressor Im only going to use once every....what...8...10 years? But I might just as well have done so. I wish I could bore my own. I havent the skills (although I do start school for diesel tech in late august) nor the equipment. I basically just figured Id take it to a highly recommended indy shop and have it done quickly and done well. So much for quickly....we'll see about well. I told him to save all the old parts. I bet he forgot. Angry

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 05/09/10 at 05:41:44

I believe there are Federal rules that REQUIRE him to return your old parts, if you ask for them. It was one of those much-detested Government rules designed to keep repairmen from reinstalling old parts and billing you for new ones. I don't know for sure, but if he can't find the old parts I think you don't have to pay for the new ones. I have no idea how he proves the old parts are actually yours instead of from his junk box.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/09/10 at 06:13:53

Most of the motorcycle dealers around here are good,They are in business to make money,They have a lot of overhead,I know motorcycle mechanics that have worked for the same shops for 20-30 years so they pretty much know what their doing.They are not public servants  that have to fix what some one screwed up on their motorcycle for nothing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 05/09/10 at 16:17:19

Could be he pulled the intakes and saw that the face of the valve was worn way past spects or would be too thin when resurfaced if he cut them. Just a guess, I've had some good and bad machine shop experiences. Luck with it

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/09/10 at 17:06:30

Invest in a valve spring compresser of have you fleas stolen.

Phelonis

Phelonius
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/10/10 at 08:07:01

well...i did get a compressor. It just wasnt the right one.

I couldve had my friend do all this at his school but he wouldve taken "longer" (just as long at this point). I figured Id pay for the convenience of quick. Oh well.

Whats all this about fleas?

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/10/10 at 10:27:51

BurnPgh wrote on 05/10/10 at 08:07:01:
well...i did get a compressor. It just wasnt the right one.

I couldve had my friend do all this at his school but he wouldve taken "longer" (just as long at this point). I figured Id pay for the convenience of quick. Oh well.

Whats all this about fleas?

You said he was trying to fleas you.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:32:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think my Mech. might be trying to fleece me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.