Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
noob asks a question about waving (Read 1017 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: noob asks a question about waving
Reply #30 - 05/11/10 at 10:26:32

You said it, my sista Angie!   Smiley

I work with a rider, and 2 other "owners".  They both rode to work one beautiful day last week for the first time this season.  The other rider and I have been riding for 2 months now.  I didn't ride that day, and the other rider was teasing me, said I should be ashamed, cause those 2 owners rode and I didn't.  I said I would be ashamed to have one in the garage and never take it out.  I certainly wasn't ashamed to leave it at home one day when I needed my car!!  

This also reminds me... we have owned several Jeep Wranglers and always waved to other Wrangler drivers too.  Never had another vehicle where that happened.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 05/11/10 at 11:10:23

Angie do you live never the Mississippi river,That was my wifes favorite place to ride,We have ridden both sides from St.Louis to way Up in Minnesota.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #32 - 05/11/10 at 22:53:34

I wave when safe to do so to anyone on bike if i make eye contact.  Many riders in SF wave.

I wear two piece textile... dont seem to bother the leather or denim folks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #33 - 05/12/10 at 03:12:04

My previous post was meant as totally tongue-in-cheek BTW ... it's not even an original, but something I found that was floating around on the web a few years back ... thought it was funny ... Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #34 - 05/12/10 at 04:42:07

PerrydaSavage wrote on 05/12/10 at 03:12:04:
My previous post was meant as totally tongue-in-cheek BTW ... it's not even an original, but something I found that was floating around on the web a few years back ... thought it was funny ... Grin

I kinda figured that too; my reply was loaded with an appropriate amount of wize-azzerry as well. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #35 - 05/12/10 at 06:57:25

Pretty much every one around here does something to acknowledge a fellow biker. Fingers or piece sign while riding, a nod while at a light. Keeps things fun I guess, I always wave unless BUSY of course.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
RAVAGE-SAVAGE
YaBB Newbies

"Twist a
Thumper
Trottle"

KY.
Reply #36 - 03/06/13 at 17:05:05

I wave at all that I see..arm down at 45° open hand like a ride by low five. If you raise your arm up to wave and the wind catches your arm, you'll learn why you keep your arm low. Wink

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #37 - 03/06/13 at 18:28:29

mick wrote on 05/11/10 at 07:17:43:
what with 300 or more lookers and 23 people responding to this silly post I sure hope you all know how and why we wave.
wave if you feel like it, don't wave if you don't.
that about cover it.?

Hey Sir Mick! Welcome Back!  

Oh, whoops this thread is 3 years old Smiley

I'll say a prayer for mick anyhow Smiley Smiley Grin Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #38 - 06/07/13 at 19:32:55

Waving really does reflect the entire community of us traveling on two wheels. Many in cages also own bikes or did in past lives. My son and I were doubled up on our Boulevard last night--he's ten. We pulled off the two-lane highway at one point so dad could indulge his nicotine habit and stretch our legs. A man in a pick-up truck pulling out of a side road slowed down and asked if we were ok or just resting. Talk about awesome. Many years ago I was out on my little early eighties 250 single Yamaha Exciter at night and got completely turned around on some old country roads. I pulled over for a smoke and the next big touring bike coming my way, I flashed my lights at him. An older guy and his wife on a big old Goldwing stopped, smiled, chatted and gladly pointed me in the right direction. You just can't put a price on such decency.
And on waving, I do find it hard to wave sometimes when clutching either up or down. But in terms of feeling comfortable enough for the hand to leave the handles to wave, I find this less of an issue...I just splay my fingers on my left hand down and out a bit...no problems there. Most do wave back. Only sneers I get while on my Boulevard are from Harley riders...but even seldom then. Most people of two wheels I like to think, respect others on two wheels. It really is an incredible article of faith to get up on two wheels. To move at good speed on a vehicle that needs a prop to keep it upright at a stop is living with faith, intention and purpose.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #39 - 06/17/13 at 16:10:01

I usually wave, However I do notice that I recieve a lot more waves than my boyfriend does, I think Its kinda funny that the guys on bikes will go out of their way to try to get a wave out of me. I have seen a couple near misses since then so I do my best to keep my ff helmet on at all times for the safety of the poser hd guys that dont really know how to ride!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #40 - 06/17/13 at 17:32:11

Dang, sounds a lot like HD envy. Huh

HD guys around here ride more often in rain or shine, and farther than most.

I was at the Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki shop Saturday. there were around seven riders there. Went down the road to the HD shop and there were around seventy five riders there. I have been riding since 1958 and have never needed to knock other brand riders, but thats just me. Shocked

The HD riders wave more than most. Its the sport bike riders who don't wave.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #41 - 06/18/13 at 03:34:24

well around here, most of the hd riders have brand new leather, not a wrinkle everything they own says hd and they ride like crap! they dont know how to ride and its like a trophy to the ones around my area, some of them know how to ride and I respect them. the posers dont belong on two wheels they scare me. As far as i am concerned two wheels are all that matters.

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #42 - 06/18/13 at 08:03:21

And their bikes are always shiny all over cause they only ride to the lake or local pub on weekends, and be sure to park right in front and idle for 15 mins before you leave.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #43 - 06/18/13 at 08:15:11

Roll Eyes

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!