Leaking Gas Cap (Read 657 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Leaking Gas Cap
Reply #15 - 05/11/10 at 16:14:23

I stay on my bike while filling it up and keep it vertical. I've never had an issue with a leaky gas cap either.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 05/11/10 at 17:00:06

I have never stayed on my bike to fill up,Alway put it on the kick stand,Never had a gas cap leak or burped the tank,Which is new to me I never heard of it til I got here.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 05/11/10 at 17:29:02

Personally, I think it is unwise to sit on the bike while refuelling. You are sitting on a machine with a hot engine and exhaust. It is easy to overfill the tank, or spill a little fuel when removing the nozzle. Spilled fuel can easily run down the tank to your crotch, where at the very least it will be uncomfortable. Anyone who uses a Zippo lighter and has had the fuel run out onto their leg can relate. At worst there is the slight possibility of fire. There is a fair chance you will need to get off the bike to go use the restroom, anyway. And all hazards aside, I usually find it feels good to get off the bike and stretch.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Re: Leaking Gas Cap - Update!
Reply #18 - 05/14/10 at 04:32:47

Hey, everybody -

I just thought I'd give you an update on my gas cap issue. Suzuki chewed my dealer out pretty well ... apparently the dealer never contacted Suzuki at all about the gas cap issue. To make nice-nice with me <g> Suzuki sent a brand new gas tank and cap to my dealer. I dropped the bike off after work on Wednesday and picked it up after work on Thursday. (1 day instead of 12!!) Well, now the bike looks practically mint! Suzuki did forget the nice Boulevard stickers that go on the sides of the tank, but they're now on the way too.

So ... those of you with leaky gas caps might want to contact Suzuki directly. I did have an extended warranty on my bike but you never know, they might just replace your tank & cap for free too. BTW, when I had to sign the warranty paperwork, I saw the price of the gas tank - $544 !!!! Holy moley - I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it!!!

Here's the website: http://www.suzukicycles.com/

From the website: "Should you have a situation that you believe requires American Suzuki's immediate assistance you may call Customer Service at 714-572-1490. Customer service representatives are available from 8:30AM to 5 PM PST."  and I spoke to Cecil. BTW, DON'T tell him I sent you - LOL!!

~Michelle

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 05/14/10 at 04:51:58

That was nice I don't think that happens very often.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Re: Leaking Gas Cap - Update!
Reply #20 - 05/14/10 at 05:39:18

I think I lucked out for two reasons:

First, Suzuki was never contacted by my dealer about the gas cap and it was NOT ordered from them. (I think it was an after-market cap.) That meant the dealer lied to me about the cap coming from Suzuki in California and used them as an excuse for it taking so long to arrive. Suzuki was not pleased about being bypassed for the cap.

Second, Suzuki was NOT happy about an upset and irate customer who, 12 days after it was dropped off with the leaky cap issue, now had a bike with a mis-matched tank and a cap that still leaked!

If YOU were Suzuki, would you want one of your licensed dealers giving such poor customer service and repairs?

Now that I've thought about it, I think the dealer took that long because they were waiting for the paint job to cure on the tank. It didn't cure - after my first short ride after picking it up, the tank had scratches and pock marks in the paint. (Let me just say that after 4500 miles and eight months of riding, the original tank was still mint.) So ... I'm pretty sure they had it painted over the original paint, rather than stripping it down to the metal.

The good news is that it's supposed to be nice tomorrow and I'll be taking my Thumper out for a nice long ride.  Woo- hoooooo!!!

Cool

~Michelle

IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Reply #21 - 05/14/10 at 05:44:58

Hi, Bill67 -

Well, my bike is a 2007, so I think that's pretty new, isn't it?

The dealer took off the tank because they damaged it when they were trying to remove the cap. Yes, the cap had the arrow facing forward ! I don't really know what happened to make it not come off - it was fine when I filled the bike up the night before! They ended up drilling the cap out, and apparently damaged the tank when they did so.

Luckily all is well now and my bike looks great!

~Michelle

bill67 wrote on 05/06/10 at 15:03:15:
I don't believe its that common to newer bikes,I've had a lot of bikes and never had a single one leak,Maybe some older bikes that have been left outside were they go through the cold and hot weather could leak,My bikes have always been kept in a garage.But you really must have a bad dealer,Why would they take off the gas tank because the gas caps leaks.The gasket is on the cap only.Do you have the arrow facing forward when you put the cap on.

IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Reply #22 - 05/14/10 at 06:01:49

Charon wrote on 05/11/10 at 17:29:02:
Personally, I think it is unwise to sit on the bike while refuelling. You are sitting on a machine with a hot engine and exhaust. It is easy to overfill the tank, or spill a little fuel when removing the nozzle. Spilled fuel can easily run down the tank to your crotch, where at the very least it will be uncomfortable. Anyone who uses a Zippo lighter and has had the fuel run out onto their leg can relate. At worst there is the slight possibility of fire. There is a fair chance you will need to get off the bike to go use the restroom, anyway. And all hazards aside, I usually find it feels good to get off the bike and stretch.

I agree, Charon. I always have my bike on the stand when I fuel up. Two weekends ago I witnessed a Yamaha Roadstar Silverado 1700 bursting into flames just 10' from the gas pumps where it had just been gassed up. Yamahas apparently have carb float issues and that's why the owners manual says to shut off the fuel valve whenever the bike is not running. (We don't have that problem OR an off valve with our Thumpers!)

This Yamaha had been shut off and was sitting for at least 10 minutes before being gassed up and rolled away from the pumps.  I wasn't back on it until it was away from the pumps so the next guy could gas up. (I was on a 175 mile run with about 100 other bikes - it was a beautiful day!) It was probably another 10 or 15 minutes before I got back on it and the rider attempted to start it. (I would have been on my own bike if it wasn't still in the shop with the gas cap mess....)

Let me just say that it was pretty scary - I hopped off the back of that bike pretty darn fast when someone yelled FIRE right next to me!! Luckily there was a volunteer fireman standing outside the Stewart's store who ran in, got a fire extinguisher and put the bike out. The only damage was to the air filter box, a bit of wiring (not destroyed) and a bit of melting over the carb. That claim is going in to Yamaha as we speak.

BTW, after the firetruck hosed the chemicals off the bike (3 trucks and 2 police cars responded!!!), it started right up and we continued the last leg of the ride! The funniest thing about it was the identical Yamaha next to us at the pumps. He was afraid to start his bike. When we all got moving again, he was right in front of us ... and kept looking down to make sure he wasn't on fire. We laughed ourselves silly the last 20 miles of the ride. LOL!!

Anyway ... it would seem I have an affinity for gas tanks and fire .... lucky me!!

~Michelle

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #23 - 05/14/10 at 13:22:00

I'm glad it worked out for you.  Some folks put a lot of effort into removing those tank badges for a cleaner look.  Maybe just get them from the dealer and hang onto them in case you decide you miss them.

IP Logged
rjackb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/14/12 at 18:50:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/07/10 at 03:07:22:
I took my cap apart & cut & installed a shim to put under the rubber to make it sealo better. Its a bit of a hassle , gotta push down to twist the key, but it doesnt leak like it did.

Can you describe this a bit more? I just replaced the gasket on my '07 but it still leaks if I fill it up to the neck. I was trying to think of a way to make the gasket thicker and you seem to have found one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/15/12 at 06:06:55

I did that about 5 or 6 years ago,, All I remember for sure is taking the guts out of the cap & getting that rubber gasket in my hand & cutting a piece of plastic to put under it,
It made it fit tighter, for sure,
Something to look at is the top of the filler opening, where the gasket is supposed to seal,I took a sanding block & smoothed mine up a bit, it wasnt as even of a surface as I thot it needed to be,
Remember to push down on the cap so the key isnt trying to drag the locking pins in as they drag against the tank,
& test the cap to make sure its all working before ya slap it on, I cant even put mine on w/o turnin the key,, I might Could, but I dont like forcing things.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rjackb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 07/15/12 at 18:53:39

Thanks. I'll try adding some depth to the gasket somehow. I'll also try smoothing out the lip of the filler hole since it does appear to be a bit irregular. Mind if I ask how you kept your sanding from entering the gas tank?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 07/15/12 at 22:09:56

I cant remember, but if I was gonna do it today, I guess Id run the gas low & stuff a rag in thereso it would catch & hold the stuff,, not just crammed in there, so It came out with the crud in it, minimize it by running the sanding block from the holoe out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #28 - 07/16/12 at 10:27:17

What I did was: drain the tank and stuffed an oily rag in it, then masked off the opening (there is enough of a lip there to get the tape to stick), then sanded it with emery cloth on a sanding block, then wet sanded with two more grades of sandpaper. I vacuumed the residual grit off the tape, pulled the tape, and then the rag. The purpose of the rag was to catch any crap that might have got buy the tape.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rjackb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 07/16/12 at 18:20:53

I actually was thinking of the "stuff a rag or something in there" approach so thanks for validating that. I'm mechanically oriented so I don't think it will be a problem. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:57:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking Gas Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.