Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low cost source for iridium plugs? (Read 178 times)
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
low cost source for iridium plugs?
05/05/10 at 19:08:42

Has anyone ordered from this guy before?  

DPR8EIX-9 2202 NGK Iridium Spark plug for only 5.95 plus 1.95 shipping with the promise of combined shipping.  Sounds too good to be true?

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5195040

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: low cost source for iridium plugs?
Reply #1 - 05/05/10 at 20:30:37

that is not a bad price, a little less than normal retail for most mail order companies

check your local Advance Auto or Autozone, etc for the plugs though, the local Advance A here has them for about the same price and they are usually in stock, but if not they get them in a day or two and no shilpping cost

I use this plug in the Performance Carburetor Kits and it has done well for me

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/05/10 at 21:09:24

LANCER wrote on 05/05/10 at 20:30:37:

Hey Lancer, do you have any input on gapping these plugs for a Savage?

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 05/05/10 at 23:20:42

JohnBoy wrote on 05/05/10 at 21:09:24:
LANCER wrote on 05/05/10 at 20:30:37:

Hey Lancer, do you have any input on gapping these plugs for a Savage?

good question Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/06/10 at 03:40:54

0.035" I believe is the setting, and the plugs are ususally pretty darn close to that right out of the box.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 05/06/10 at 06:04:28

Copied from the MCNews forum in a discussion on iridium spark plugs.

"Iridium and Platinum tips on spark plugs do one thing, and one thing only. Wear longer. Period.

"Every time a spark is fired in the gap, it ionizes a small amount of surface metal. Rare metals simply lose less, enabling the gap to remain a consistant size for a longer period of time.

"They do not, and will not: Cure ills, get better gas mileage, run smoother, etc., or any of the other crapola in the sales brochures(where they don't tell you that the gains seen were compared to used up plugs).

"Multi-tip plugs are the same story, but they add multiple surfaces to spread the wear around.

"Do they work? Sure, but no "better" than any other plug...they just may do it for longer. Of course, fouling is the #1 reason plugs fail anyway, and it doesn't matter what kind of plug it is(for the most part) -so don't count on them outliving the bike either.

"Resistance wires or no? Depends on the coils and module/point setup. The secondary wire resistance actually works to let the spark build in voltage, then arc the gap, and bleed off some of that voltage after arc. Running solid core wires where one should have resistance core, will cook the plugs/coils/module/points. Maybe fast, maybe slow, but something will pay the price."

I realize that doesn't help with a low-cost source. But it might make you wonder whether the iridium plugs are worth the money in the first place.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 05/06/10 at 06:25:51

Its like does a bigger match start a bigger fire.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #7 - 05/06/10 at 08:22:58

yeah, i realize there is a debate about if they are worth it or not.  some people swear by them and some people swear at those who swear by them.  So for 10 bucks, i thought i might try for myself.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/06/10 at 08:29:01

Thats the best thing to do,Then you will know for yourself.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 05/06/10 at 17:31:31

I have an Iridium plug and my dad (tincanman) has a regular plug. I took mine out the other day after almost 5k on it and it looks like the day I put it in. Performance wise I honestly can't tell the difference, my bike is faster than Tincanman's but it always has been for some odd reason. Like a LOT faster, I can go over 100mph and gauged by my buddy on his Yamaha R1.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #10 - 05/06/10 at 18:02:09

Went by Advance Auto today and they got the plug for 6.99 plus tax, so just about the same is the online place.  I still have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up though.

IP Logged
earlytimz

Savage model 417

(4 speed, 17mm)

BG, KY
Reply #11 - 05/11/10 at 08:34:12

FWIW...
I changed the plugs in my silverado last year and went with platinums instead of the iridiums (like factory) even after my brother told me it would run like crap. In several places, I read that there's no difference in performance, yadda, yadda... Well, the truck ran ok but sounded awful! Knocking & pinging & carrying on. I replaced the plugs again with iridiums and problem solved! So I guess the expensive lesson I learned was that if your vehicle came from the factory with iridium plugs, you better continue to use iridium plugs! There is a difference... I just don't know if it makes a difference in the savage or not. Can't hurt, if nothing else you will never need to replace it again because of plug failure. My factory silverado iridium plugs had about 180k miles on them and honestly still looked good. I just wanted to change them "just in case"...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:57:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › low cost source for iridium plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.