Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another Update on Paladin (Read 675 times)
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Another Update on Paladin
Reply #15 - 05/05/10 at 19:24:24

I hope this is just a tempoary setback. Sounds like he got quick treatment which is very good.  Our best thoughts and hope for a speedy recovery to you and your family.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Mrs._Paladin
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/05/10 at 21:47:31

Went and visited him today.  My daughter and I took over pictures for him too look through.  Of our cars, dogs and his beloved Thumper.  He perked up when he saw his thumper.  He couldn't pronounce what it was initially.  I handed him a pad of paper and he wrote down the names of our Jack Russell Terriers.  He couldn't pronounce them, but knew how to write them down.  Later on, he wrote "Thumper".  But he became agitated because he couldn't remember Suzuki Savage.  

Again he recognized our youngest daughter.  But he couldn't remember her name.  And he knew that calling her our oldest daughter's name was a mistake.

The speech therapist came by and did some exercises with him.  He recognized a dollar bill.  Couldn't pronounce it, but knew it was worth more than the quarter she held up.  Later on, I showed him a South Dakota state quarter and he looked at it and said the word "Southern".  He also knew that it was different from your run of the mill quarter.

When my brother-in-law came by, Mike first called him Doug.  But later, called him Dan, which is his name.  Dan visited him for half and hour and could see Mike making improvements.  It's just going to take time.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #17 - 05/05/10 at 22:20:40

Myself along with my Mom send you warm hugs and well wishes. Take each day and know it brings some improvements towards a complete recovery.
Mrs. P. take special care of yourself so you can do all that is necessary when Mr. P. returns home. Again all our best...Kim

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 05/06/10 at 01:01:44

Mrs._Paladin wrote on 05/05/10 at 21:47:31:
Went and visited him today.  My daughter and I took over pictures for him too look through.  Of our cars, dogs and his beloved Thumper.  He perked up when he saw his thumper.  He couldn't pronounce what it was initially.  I handed him a pad of paper and he wrote down the names of our Jack Russell Terriers.  He couldn't pronounce them, but knew how to write them down.  Later on, he wrote "Thumper".  But he became agitated because he couldn't remember Suzuki Savage.  

Again he recognized our youngest daughter.  But he couldn't remember her name.  And he knew that calling her our oldest daughter's name was a mistake.

The speech therapist came by and did some exercises with him.  He recognized a dollar bill.  Couldn't pronounce it, but knew it was worth more than the quarter she held up.  Later on, I showed him a South Dakota state quarter and he looked at it and said the word "Southern".  He also knew that it was different from your run of the mill quarter.

When my brother-in-law came by, Mike first called him Doug.  But later, called him Dan, which is his name.  Dan visited him for half and hour and could see Mike making improvements.  It's just going to take time.

It's alright, Mrs. Paladin (sorry I have to keep on calling you like this, it's the only name I know)

Ask Paladin if he remembers meeting a couple from Italy in July 2008, shortly after 4th jyuly, at Michael (Verslagen's) place.
That was my wife and I, and our 10-y.o. boy. He's 12 now.

We all had burgers, Paladin and Verslagen had a ride in the neighborhood swapping bikes, then we all went to the local racetrack to see Michael's brother race in the 1/4mile oval
(Or maybe Paladin had already left by then)

Whichever, we have a picture of my wife sitting astride Paladin's thumper, and another one of the three of us with the two bikes.
I had no bike,  had flown across from Italy to visit California, so I had a rental car (Dodge Durango)
I remember he showed me how to make a clamp-on stand for a cheap digital camera and record his rides.
If you (or Verslagen) can find that picture, see if he remembers anything, Verslagen to say the least.

If he can read, find his favorite boyhood novels, be it Tom Sawyer or Robin Hood or Treasure Island or whatever.
The language and vocabulary are easier than "grown-up" novels and the stories are actually more exciting to read.

Also, fish out all the nice pics from places he visited, that should help remember things.

His brain is alright, really, let's simply say that a few wires got crossed and now he has to -literally- learn to rewire everything.

It's like rehabilitation after major surgery, you start very slowly, and progress improves as it goes on.

Just don't worry, and most of all explain to him that it's just a bunch of brain cabling that got crosswired - with his job, he should understand the principle.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 05/06/10 at 03:48:12

I am praying for him, give him my best please

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #20 - 05/06/10 at 04:14:18

Sorry to hear about his setback. He is our thoughts and wishes for a good recovery.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #21 - 05/06/10 at 10:45:23

Best wishes for a quick "brain rewiring"!  

Progress can be slow, but it is progress.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #22 - 05/06/10 at 11:00:06

Positive energy heading ya'll's way from New Mexico. I really enjoyed meeting him a couple maybe three years ago when he did his cross country trip. I am sure that with the Honored Ones' help he will be fine.

I remember when I was pushed down a flight of concrete stairs in junior high and had amnesia. I know how frustrating it is to not remember how to pronounce things or remember names and such. But like others have said, his synapses are just misfiring at the moment and with patience they will start working properly again. Just take it slow and don't let him get discouraged or try to force it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Reply #23 - 05/11/10 at 07:01:01

Our prayers and thoughts are with your family. We pray that Paladin will have a full recovery.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/11/10 at 13:01:12

best wishes to you both

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 05/11/10 at 17:21:39

God Bless you all
Walk in give a kiss a hug An tell him you love him. Love heals more than you know.
Than give him your laptop and get on this site. Things that are old hat are good for the mind
Love to you all
Viper

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #26 - 05/12/10 at 17:27:19

Any new news?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #27 - 05/12/10 at 19:55:30

Speech therapy after stroke can be a long, frustrating at times, road.
Have they done and brain imaging to determine a locus/focal point of the stroke?  Sounds like the motor area is fine, if his speech is not slurred.  Just the word finding  perhaps?  All our love and best wishes from the Noreast part of the land.

IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #28 - 05/13/10 at 04:48:57

We will keep you in our thoughts and ask the man for your recovery.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
Mrs._Paladin
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/16/10 at 23:44:10

Sorry I haven't been around sooner.  Between multiple appointments and well meaning relatives dropping in, it's been hard to keep up.  Paladin is home now.  We've already had a consultation with a Speech Pathologist.  She was impressed with how much progress he had made since she visited him in the hospital.  

The clot went up his internal carotid artery and damaged the left side of his brain.  The Temporal Lobe and the Parietal Lobe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arteries_beneath_brain_Gray_closer.jpg

He has what's called, "Wernicke's Aphasia:

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/aphasia.asp

and also something called Apraxia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apraxia

He will be going to see the Speech Pathologist twice a week.  She's given me some work sheets to do some exercises with him at home.  He has no trouble reading things, but he has trouble speaking words.  And it's difficult for him to understand simple verbal commands.  We're working on that.  It's going to be awhile.  He's aware that it will take months.  Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers.  We both really appreciate it.  We'll get through this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 15:55:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Another Update on Paladin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.