Send Topic Print
Cheated death again (Read 523 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheated death again
05/05/10 at 10:48:54

Riding in ths industrial south end of Seattle yesterday when a large van ( about 10,000 pounds) came up from behind and the front fender hit my elbow driving my hand from the bar. Then it hit the end of the bar forcing the steering hard to the right. This caused the sidecar to leap high into the air as the west coast mirror and frame hit me from the middle of the back across the shoulder, slamming me down and off the bike. As I fell between the bike and the truck, for a hundredth of a second I saw the machine roaring away on two wheels with the sidecar high in the air as the front wheel of the truck hit my head a grazing blow. This rotated my body just enough that when the rear duallies hit, my head was only partially under the wheel. The slick surface of the helmet saved me as I felt the helmet squirt out from under the wheel like shooting a marble with your thumb.  I felt the rear wheels brush my back as the truck roared past.
The whiplash this caused stunned me and I just lay there concious but unable to move as traffic stopped and people gathered around. They were asking me questions but I couldn't understand them.  After about 5 minutes I was able to get up but was still groggy in shock.
The doctors are still studying the xrays of my neck and ribs so I don't know the full story yet.
When the bike roared away it fell back onto all three and as the throttle sprang shut it veered left and hit the truck as it stopped.
The fairing was torn off but other than that the bike damage was only superficial.
Now comes all the red tape, I guess that is better than being a red stain on the asphalt.

Phelonius Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Phelonius
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cheated death again
Reply #1 - 05/05/10 at 11:13:59

Phelonius, that is so... glad you're alive man. Did that A$$H0LE even stopped?????

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/05/10 at 11:32:27

phel, glad you're alive.
I hope to read in the news that the driver receives his just reward... a sidecar enema... 'can you see me now?'

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/05/10 at 11:33:27

HOLY COW!!!  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked Sounds like were millimeters from getting your ticket punched, but so glad it didn't come to that. Hopefully that other driver stopped and was ticketed to begin with. By the end of the hospital stay I hope he is charged with much more. Glad to hear you made it through, and hope that there is nothing significant that the doctors will find (or miss)!!!

Take care and be sure you take time to heal whatever wounds you do have.  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/05/10 at 11:34:49

Wow!,... it don't get any hairier than that!...

Get well,.. my best healing thoughts are with you.... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 05/05/10 at 11:54:59

What a harrowing description!  Glad you are here to tell it.  I'd love to hear that driver's excuse...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 05/05/10 at 12:44:38

glad you made it ok, I hope the SOB that hit you gets his just rewards.
heal fast ,and good luck to ya. Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 05/05/10 at 15:43:54

glad your ok! - how many of the 9 lives do you have left now?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/05/10 at 15:47:39

The driver stopped but he never even spoke to me.  I didn't even know which person he was until just before he left when the cop pointed him out. He was a kid. Probably 20 to no more than 25, driving some kind of commercial van about the size of a ford F600 or bigger.
There were people trying to help me until the cop arrived at which time they all evaporated.  Since I didn't actually see what had happened and the trucker apparantly didn't say much either, and no witnesses said anything, no ticket was given to either of us and the cop could assign no blame.  It will be interesting to see what kind of pizzing match the insurance companies have over this.

If I did not have diabetes, I would have spent last night in a bottle of Irish whisky
I took two oxycodones and slept fitfully,  Every time I started to dream , I would wake up. so I guess the dreams were'nt worth having.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 05/05/10 at 17:49:27

Wow, glad to hear you survived again! Shocked  I'm not too keen on driving around Portland during rush hours, I'd hate to try Seattle! Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/05/10 at 17:53:22

Ive seen ads in the Thrifty Nickel for witnesses after an accident. No idea if it ever helped, but maybe they all thot "Someone else will do it"?

Hard to call a man Lucky after such an ordeal, but crappity smack man..

Things could be better
Things could be worse
You could be ridin
In the back of a hearse.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 05/05/10 at 19:10:13

Glad you are OK!!!!!!!!!!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 05/05/10 at 19:18:18

You could not come any closer to meeting your maker than that!!!
Good to hear you are ok!!! If not charges are laid, I hope that at least the truck driver got a good talking to.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 05/05/10 at 20:01:39

Says something about wearing a helmet whether you like the intrusion on your individual liberty. AZ doesn't require helmets and my wifenI are in a minority when ATGATT even down to the shopping center in the housing area. You just never know when it i going to happen.

Heal quickly Phelonius, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #14 - 05/05/10 at 22:20:00

Wow.  Glad you are ok.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 19:42:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheated death again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.