NEWB!!! (Read 371 times)
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
NEWB!!!
05/04/10 at 01:39:09

Hi guys, im a newb on here and to owning a bike! I just bought my first motorcycle on thursday. Its an 86 savage. I dont even know how to ride yet, so its going to be a fun adventure! but after taking it for a spin around my cul de sac, i decided i want to clean the carb, replace the spark plug, and change the oil. Just so i can have the peace of mind that its all fresh in there. So far Ive found great guides on the carb and oil change in the tech section but havent found something for the spark plug, any help on that would be great! But the main reason im posting is because after starting the bike up and getting the fuel running through theres a gas leak at the bottom! i dont know what the hose is called but its leaking and when i squeeze it, it leaks faster. Any thoughts on how to stop this??? this seems to be the only issue with the bike

heres the bike

And heres the valve thats leaking (i know ive got a lot of cleaning to do!)

thanks for any help

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: NEWB!!!
Reply #1 - 05/04/10 at 01:47:40

From the position, it is likely to be a dump tube.  

If it is clear plastic it is the battery dump tube and is supposed to be open at all times.  

If it it black it is supposed to have a plug in the end of it and it traces back to the air box (you pop the plug out at every oil change to let the oily ooze drain out of the air box).

Which tube is it?   Where does it go to?  And is it really gasoline leaking from it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 05/04/10 at 05:53:09

When you start the bike, vacuum opens the petcock valve to let gas flow to the carb. So, it seems that the float valve in the carb is not shutting off properly, and the carb is over filling and leaking out the vent tubes.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #3 - 05/04/10 at 11:17:03

Its defintely not from the battery because i charged up the battery and adjusted the tube myself. Its not clear, its definately black, and definately is Gas, but i dont know where it leads to. BUT, i may have found the problem:

Its leaking through a little tear at the tip of the tube. How do I plug that up??

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/04/10 at 11:34:02

The airbox has a resevour blown out oil and gas spit out by the carb.
That tube is how to drain it.  Yours is different then ours, we have a plug.  The ealy bikes has this type of plug.  They must've changed to the plug it sounds like your leaks too much.

check your oil level regularly while you're having this issue.  As if the gas is getting into the oil, it's bad news.  and you should drain the oil and replace asap.

Park going up an incline will help keep the gas out of the engine.

Check your vac line for gas too.  This would indicate the diaphragm in the petcock is leaking and you would need to repair it.

sparkplug, take and blow out the sparkplug hole with compressed air before removing it.  Otherwise all the gravel that's collected up there will fall in.

During your carb clean, check the float level, check the condition of the float valve.

WWW   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #5 - 05/04/10 at 13:45:03

verslagen1 wrote on 05/04/10 at 11:34:02:
The airbox has a resevour blown out oil and gas spit out by the carb.
That tube is how to drain it.  Yours is different then ours, we have a plug.  The ealy bikes has this type of plug.  They must've changed to the plug it sounds like your leaks too much.

check your oil level regularly while you're having this issue.  As if the gas is getting into the oil, it's bad news.  and you should drain the oil and replace asap.

Park going up an incline will help keep the gas out of the engine.

Check your vac line for gas too.  This would indicate the diaphragm in the petcock is leaking and you would need to repair it.

sparkplug, take and blow out the sparkplug hole with compressed air before removing it.  Otherwise all the gravel that's collected up there will fall in.

During your carb clean, check the float level, check the condition of the float valve.

whoa, sounds overwhelming! so its not in driveable condition right now? And say i go through all those things and clean and fix and drain, that hole at the end of that valve is still gonna be there, is there not supposed to be any fuel in that tube at all???

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/04/10 at 14:03:20

Edgar wrote on 05/04/10 at 13:45:03:
whoa, sounds overwhelming! so its not in driveable condition right now? And say i go through all those things and clean and fix and drain, that hole at the end of that valve is still gonna be there, is there not supposed to be any fuel in that tube at all???

Don't panic.
Driveable, yes with caution.
Parkable, yes with caution.

fuel will spit out the carb on ocassion, you'll have reduced fuel mileage.  But driveable.  park with the nose up will prevent gas from dripping into the engine.  put a brick under the front wheel if you have to.

WWW   IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #7 - 05/04/10 at 20:54:49

Congrats on the new bike.  There is alot of good info on here.  I purchased an 87 about a month ago and began making a "bobber" out of it.  Good luck with learning to ride and with the bike.

Mike

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #8 - 05/04/10 at 22:48:01

mikelhsr1982 wrote on 05/04/10 at 20:54:49:
Congrats on the new bike.  There is alot of good info on here.  I purchased an 87 about a month ago and began making a "bobber" out of it.  Good luck with learning to ride and with the bike.

Mike

yea ive already found a ton of things on here. and Im glad i posted my issue because i would have never conceived all the possible problems that could stem from noticing this leak. My intentions when i bought the bike were to bobb it too! do you have a link to the progress of what you've done to your bike?

And thank you verslagen1 ill get on all thse things soon, what oil from autozone/kragen/pep boys do you guys reccamend? and can i get a sparkplug for these at one of those stores? thanks again!

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/05/10 at 02:12:46

Welcome to the Savage world Edgar.

I kind of hate to pile on but the tank valve could also be a source for the problem.  As mentioned already, when the engine starts the vacuum created opens the valve to let fuel down from the tank.  The tank valve has 3 positions   ON  RESERVE  PRIME

If the little vacuum diaphram inside the valve breaks down, it can let fuel drain from the tank through the vacuum line to the carb when the bike is just sitting.  That fuel will collect in the carb and can go out the carb vent tubes or  overflow to the air box which shows up where you found it.

A good fix for this is the Raptor valve to replace the stock tank valve.
There is a discussion of it in this section now, and you can find more info on it in the tech section

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/05/10 at 04:08:16

Edgar every bike has some issues, and the older they are, the more they seem to pop up. The Savage has fewer poblems than most, they are easier and cheaper to fix, and the people here have lots of practical experience fixing them.
Have fun and safe riding!

IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #11 - 05/05/10 at 06:01:23

Edgar wrote on 05/04/10 at 22:48:01:

Mike

yea ive already found a ton of things on here. and Im glad i posted my issue because i would have never conceived all the possible problems that could stem from noticing this leak. My intentions when i bought the bike were to bobb it too! do you have a link to the progress of what you've done to your bike?

And thank you verslagen1 ill get on all thse things soon, what oil from autozone/kragen/pep boys do you guys reccamend? and can i get a sparkplug for these at one of those stores? thanks again!

Ill post the one decent pic I have this far.  But I did the bobber basics so far, ditched the rear fender, turn signals, air box to accommodate a cone filter, and the buckhorn bars that were on it.  When the tins get finished Ill be sure to post it on here.  All the pic reflects is the painted frame and engine and the first idea of paint scheme.  

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/mikelhsr/IMAG0019-1.jpg

Enjoy

babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 05/05/10 at 06:23:58

mikelhsr1982 wrote on 05/05/10 at 06:01:23:
Edgar wrote on 05/04/10 at 22:48:01:

Mike

Ill post the one decent pic I have this far.  But I did the bobber basics so far, ditched the rear fender, turn signals, air box to accommodate a cone filter, and the buckhorn bars that were on it.  When the tins get finished Ill be sure to post it on here.  All the pic reflects is the painted frame and engine and the first idea of paint scheme.  

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/mikelhsr/IMAG0019-1.jpg

Enjoy

Just a tip for my new fellow WV buddy...  If you use the Insert Image icon or put [ img ] your link  [ /img ]  (except remove the spaces before and after the brackets), and put your link between them, the picture will show within your post instead of having to click the link.
Wink

like this:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #13 - 05/05/10 at 08:32:16

Thanks for the info, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get something on there, lol.

Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #14 - 05/05/10 at 10:17:52

So the bottom line is that there shouldnt be any fuel in that line??? Because that hole is still gonna be there. And it only leaks when the bike is on

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEWB!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.