Send Topic Print
raptorizing (Read 170 times)
Sax Man
YaBB Newbies

Straight ahead and
strive for tone!

raptorizing
05/02/10 at 12:29:08

I really do like bobo383's petcock mod (very ingenious and easy) and had thought seriously about doing it.  But after reading the comments about easier tank removal I decided to order a raptor petcock.  

Well the petcock arrived and so I removed my stock part today.  In looking over the differences in the two units I noticed a couple of things.  Right away I noticed that the reserve feul amount with the raptor is less than the stock.  Don't really think it's that big a deal though once you get to know it.  However that 5 miles or so could be a big deal in certain circumstances.

After taking off the cover of the raptor I noticed the valve has two rubber parts.  One is a valve 'mating rubber' and the other is a simple 'O' ring (like the stock unit).  Since the 'mating rubber' is constantly bathed in fuel I was wondering what its longevity might be and if it is replaceable - any experiences out there?  With the stock unit there is no 'mating rubber', it's just the nylon (or Delrin?) seated against the aluminum.

I will install the raptor and mod the stock for a spare.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: raptorizing
Reply #1 - 05/03/10 at 03:21:27

I did the raptor thing about a year ago and have no problems of any kind.  I can't remember gaskets and stuff like that now, but no problems.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Sax Man
YaBB Newbies

Straight ahead and
strive for tone!

Reply #2 - 05/03/10 at 22:06:10

prechermike wrote on 05/03/10 at 03:21:27:
I did the raptor thing about a year ago and have no problems of any kind.  I can't remember gaskets and stuff like that now, but no problems.

That's good to know.  I always wonder about rubber parts that make a seal.  Very often these days the materials aren't what they used to be.  I think the nylon mated to the pot metal (I said aluminum before, but I believe it's actually more like pot metal) is a more reliable idea over the long haul.  I know I'm over thinking the whole thing but that's just me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/04/10 at 02:49:20

Ive heard about the raptor for a while. They even talk about it in church.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sax Man
YaBB Newbies

Straight ahead and
strive for tone!

Reply #4 - 05/04/10 at 05:38:30

Now that you mention it I DO feel a little different........Am I still here?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:33:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › raptorizing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.