Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slipper Clutch for a savage? (Read 93 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Slipper Clutch for a savage?
05/02/10 at 09:32:10

As some of you are talking about bigger pistons and higher compression, I am wondering about a slipper clutch for the Savage.
Engine braking on any big single with a high compression ratio should be substantial. Pushing your bike into a turn while downshifting a gear or two sounds risky on this big single, even before boosting compression.
Any thoughts or comments?

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Slipper Clutch for a savage?
Reply #1 - 05/02/10 at 09:39:36

Personally, I would think it would be easier to learn rev matching and throttle control than to try and come up w/ a slipper clutch for a Savage. How fast do you really think someone is going to dive into a corner w/ a "cruiser". Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/02/10 at 09:56:56

I can answer for the Dragon crowd, we don't want a slipper clutch.

We hold revs high in a lower gear while in the curvies and roll off throttle some to get selective mild engine braking action instead of going for the brakes.   We don't shift up and down as much as you would think, staying in 2nd or 3rd just about all the time.

We find engine braking (with high revs kept at all times) to be the best braking method by far for strong curve sections of mountain road.

The throttle becomes a speed rheostat controlling speed + & - while just having to juggle one control.

Believe me, you are busy enough dodging them out of lane Hurleys anyway ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/02/10 at 11:23:13

I think a slipper clutch would be a bad thing to do to this bike. Paying attention to when & how a D/S is made &, as noted, keeping the bike revved up thru a turn so that when its dime to dial on & run on out, its there & if, for some reason, easing off is called for, its there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/02/10 at 16:50:15

With its normal 8:1 compression, and driven at a reasonable pace I would agree that a slipper clutch is not needed. However, I was discussing a very large jug, a light rear end and a high compression ratio.
Think Lancer’s “Rex”
I rode a GL1000 that had a very large flywheel. While the engine braking was very impressive, even with four cylinders, you could break the rear wheel loose on a 600 lb bike without a lot of effort.  Coming into a turn hot and downshifting was sure to make your blood race.
I would be the first to agree that “all” riders should learn to downshift in a safe and effective manner. My interest is in what options might be out there that would make my bike just a little hotter and safer than the next guy.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/02/10 at 17:11:25

lthough I doubt Ill be able to anymore with a 180 wide sportbike tire.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Slipper Clutch for a savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.