Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
removing existing muffler clamp bolt-NEED help (Read 275 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
removing existing muffler clamp bolt-NEED help
04/30/10 at 20:46:34

I am trying to remove the existing stock muffler.  I didnt remove the header pipe.

I got the two nuts holding the rear muffler bolts removed.  The bolt looks like it stuck or part of the muffler...

I am trying to remove the bolt on the clamp (between the header pipe and muffler).  the heat shield is still on, as I can't get to the screws (two on the rear part of the heat shield attached to the muffler.

The heat shield gives very little room to use a wrench on the clamp's bolt.  what can I use on such a tight space?

Does this sound typical?  I have 2007 S40.  

Thanks for your help.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: removing existing muffler clamp bolt-NEED help
Reply #1 - 05/01/10 at 02:43:59

remove the heat shield & get some room to work with

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 05/01/10 at 03:09:25

Did you have to remove the exhaust from the bike?   I can't get to the screws on the heat shield without removing the whole exhaust from the bike.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 05/01/10 at 05:23:02

Tiefighterpilot wrote on 05/01/10 at 03:09:25:
Did you have to remove the exhaust from the bike?   I can't get to the screws on the heat shield without removing the whole exhaust from the bike.

I didn't remove the header and was able to get the heat shield off.  Wish I could remember exactly how, sorry.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/01/10 at 08:31:37

You'll want the exhaust off to work on it.

You can see from the link that once you have the header and muff off, access to the heat shield clamp and two screws the heat shield will come off.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2000-suzuki-motorcycle-ls650py-savage-muffler/o/m63...

WWW   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #5 - 05/01/10 at 10:29:04

Thanks everyone!

Is replacing header gasket required or only if damaged?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/01/10 at 11:24:24

only if damaged, but if ordering would be worth to have a spare on hand.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 05/01/10 at 11:42:51

When I put my Dyna muff on mine, I removed the heat shield when I took off the stock muffler without any problem. When I put the new muff on, I had trouble getting it lined up as many other had, but someone suggested loosening the header bolts and you can rotate the header pipe slightly for a better angle. After doing that I was able to line things up better for a solid fit. I did find out on the first ride after doing that adjustment that I hadn't tightened down the header bolts enough and she was a popping and banging quite a bit. The next day I tightened them up more and it solved the problem.
Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #8 - 08/05/11 at 18:08:07

Is there a trick to take the moffler off while leaving the header pipe on?  I was trying to avoid that for the sake of not messing up the gasket and the seal.  However I cannot seem to get at the muffler clamp bolt.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/05/11 at 20:10:59

It's very hard to get the heat shield off without taking the whole exhaust off. I just did it this week. Just take the whole thing off, MUCH easier. Putting the header pipe back on is a no-brainer. Just make sure it's positioned right before tightening it back down.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/06/11 at 05:17:23

Jerking & banging on the header while the whole thing is held up by those 2 puny little bolts just doesnt seem like a grand idea to me. If the muffler isnt stuck hard, okay,, but I wouldnt be getting too rough with it while its mounted. Maybe its no big deal,, IDK, but I feel like its not a great idea. Anyone else have an opinion on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 08/06/11 at 06:51:30

I would take the whole thing off too. Chances are you will loosen up the head gasket, or worse, bend the bolts, reefing on the muffler to get it off with the header still on. Also, for the sake of two more bolts, you can stand up to work on it, rather than farting around on the floor getting into wierd contortions trying to get at things. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 08/06/11 at 07:44:33

mmosel wrote on 08/05/11 at 20:10:59:
It's very hard to get the heat shield off without taking the whole exhaust off. I just did it this week. Just take the whole thing off, MUCH easier. Putting the header pipe back on is a no-brainer. Just make sure it's positioned right before tightening it back down.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/11 at 05:17:23:
Jerking & banging on the header while the whole thing is held up by those 2 puny little bolts just doesnt seem like a grand idea to me. If the muffler isnt stuck hard, okay,, but I wouldnt be getting too rough with it while its mounted. Maybe its no big deal,, IDK, but I feel like its not a great idea. Anyone else have an opinion on it?

arteacher wrote on 08/06/11 at 06:51:30:
I would take the whole thing off too. Chances are you will loosen up the head gasket, or worse, bend the bolts, reefing on the muffler to get it off with the header still on. Also, for the sake of two more bolts, you can stand up to work on it, rather than farting around on the floor getting into wierd contortions trying to get at things. Grin

These guys know of what they speak.  Take it off.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #13 - 08/06/11 at 07:44:49

Very good and valid points, gents.  I will follow your advise.

Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #14 - 08/06/11 at 12:02:09

Well that was super easy that way.  Thanks, I took the whole thing off and then easily loosended the clamp and slid it right off, with a little wd40 help.  

I did not notice a gasket at the header that was loose or fell out.  I assume its just stuck to the motor still.  Will that be ok as long as it is in place? Or do I need to remove it and replace it?

Also I noticed when I bolted the header back up that it was further away from the heat shield than before and pointed in toward the bike more.  So I loosened it back up and lined it up how it was then tightened it back down.  Was that the right thing to do?

I am ordering a drag pipe baffle with fiberglass wrap and getting an 18" piece of 1.75" tail pipe from autozone to put on there now!!!  I also am going to rejet the carb too (because I know that advice was coming).

I am so excited to have turned my own wrench on the bike.  I don't usually do this and I am happy that I did.  It was easy and I feel slightly accomplished(lol).

Do I dare attempt the rejet the carb on my own or will I take it to my local chopper shop for that?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:18:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing existing muffler clamp bolt-NEED help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.