Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Header Wrap (Read 426 times)
jarrod
YaBB Newbies

Spangdahlem Germany
Header Wrap
04/30/10 at 04:57:17

I am wanting to put a wrap on my header, but I am unsure how much I will need, also living in Germany I will have to order it off the internet. Anybody know approximatley how much it will take and which size would be better to use, 1 in or 2 in. Thanks

Mac

2003 Savage bone stock for now

Nobody lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Header Wrap
Reply #1 - 04/30/10 at 08:00:19

2in will probably be easier to wrap. 20 ft (about 7m) should be plenty but dont take my word for it.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #2 - 04/30/10 at 19:52:45

Your going to wrap it overlapping so take the width of the wrap and divid that by 2.  Then measure the length of your pipe that you want to wrap and the diameter of the pipe.  Divid the length of your pipe by the 1/2 width of the wrap this is roughly how many rings you will have.  now take this number and multiply it by the circumfrence of the pipe or the diameter times Pi.  This should be the length you need. get alittle more than you need to be sure.  

Example: 2 in wide wrap divided by 2 = 1 in rings.  the exhaust is say 3ft in length which means you'll need 36 rings.  now take 36 multiplied by exhaust diameter of 1.5in*3.14 and you have your length of 170 in in this example or 14 ft.  add a couple feet for wrapping around the ends and just in case you overlap more or waste some.  This would be exactly doubled if you bought 1 in tape.  

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/30/10 at 21:30:14

I used 1" I got from O'Reilly Auto Parts, don't know what they have in Germany. It comes prepackaged & it didn't take the full amount for the Savage. I sealed it with the high temp paint from the same company & secured it with SS tye wraps.
I've used both 1 & 2" before, the 1" is easier to wrap around the bends.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
jarrod
YaBB Newbies

Spangdahlem Germany
Reply #4 - 05/01/10 at 11:35:01

Cool, thanks for the help. Anybody have the blue collar bobber exhaust on thir bike? I am wanting to do a bobber and I like the design of their pipe, but the video I watched didn't do justice for the sound. I am curious if it really worth the $120 asking price?

IP Logged
marotajo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/01/10 at 18:24:19

I have a 95 Savage  - it was bone stock and the paint had faded to a rosy pink from sitting in the previous owners yard for God knows how long.  

The muffler was rusted and full of holes - it rattled and whistled like crazy.  The chrome on the head pipe was gone.

I bought a 18" piece of muffler pipe at the auto parts store and clamped it on the header and ran it around the block - once.  It was so loud, all the dogs in the neighborhood went wild and people came running from their homes - it was way too loud!

I cut 4 inches off the end of the pipe and fabricated it into a baffle and hammered it back into the end of the pipe.  I then stuffed the pipe with tightly rolled chicken wire with a double strip of 1 inch heat wrap woven through the middle of the baffle.

I painted the pipe with high heat silicone paint and it looked pretty good and sounded great.  I went ahead and wrapped the header and pipe with tape and sprayed it with another 3 coats of silicone.  

Total cost $55.00 with the muffler clamp.  Would have been twenty bucks if I didn't wrap it.

video here:
http://www.bikemovies.com/movie/011986/

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/01/10 at 20:22:34

marotajo wrote on 05/01/10 at 18:24:19:
I have a 95 Savage  - it was bone stock and the paint had faded to a rosy pink from sitting in the previous owners yard for God knows how long.  

The muffler was rusted and full of holes - it rattled and whistled like crazy.  The chrome on the head pipe was gone.

I bought a 18" piece of muffler pipe at the auto parts store and clamped it on the header and ran it around the block - once.  It was so loud, all the dogs in the neighborhood went wild and people came running from their homes - it was way too loud!

I cut 4 inches off the end of the pipe and fabricated it into a baffle and hammered it back into the end of the pipe.  I then stuffed the pipe with tightly rolled chicken wire with a double strip of 1 inch heat wrap woven through the middle of the baffle.

I painted the pipe with high heat silicone paint and it looked pretty good and sounded great.  I went ahead and wrapped the header and pipe with tape and sprayed it with another 3 coats of silicone.  

Total cost $55.00 with the muffler clamp.  Would have been twenty bucks if I didn't wrap it.

video here:
http://www.bikemovies.com/movie/011986/

Cool bike man I'm looking to do something similar with my exhaust if not just for sound but the weight of the stock is ridiculous.   I think your ride would look even better with some shorter than stock shocks the stance looks a little off but still nice job !!

IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #7 - 05/02/10 at 16:02:32

Anybody have the blue collar bobber exhaust on thir bike? I am wanting to do a bobber and I like the design of their pipe, but the video I watched didn't do justice for the sound. I am curious if it really worth the $120 asking price?

BCB's drag pipe is 27" long, has four baffles at mid-pipe, is nicely powder coated, and has the 'just right' bend to run parallel to the swing arm and affix to the Savage exhaust bracket.  Moving up one size in pilot and main jets -- in my case ('05 S40 with stock airbox and filter) pilot upgraded from 52.5 to 55 and main from 145 to 150 -- gives smooth roll-ons with no hesitation/surging, after fiddling with the pilot adjusting screw.

Exhaust sound is low and rumbly, louder obviously at higher revs, but not obnoxiously blatty.  You can live harmoniously with neighbors with this pipe.

A few tips for installing header wrap: 1) soak the roll in water for a few minutes before starting; 2) remove the header from the bike to do the job; 3) have a helper - four hands make it easier; 4) use a new header gasket when reinstalling.

Worth the price?  You bet!

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 05/03/10 at 09:53:29

I did mine a couple of years ago. Found a place online that sold 2" wrap in 25' lengths as opposed to the normal 50' lengths that you might see. Wrapped mine with a 1/4" overlap and had plenty left over. Enjoy the stinky smoke for the first few days!   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
jarrod
YaBB Newbies

Spangdahlem Germany
Reply #9 - 05/03/10 at 12:25:38

Awesome, thanks for all the help. Now I just need to tie up some loose ends on my new forward control extensions and then I can plan my bobber attack.

Stevene, is that the stock rear tire on your bike? it looks huge from that angle.

Mac

IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #10 - 05/03/10 at 13:17:22

jarrod wrote on 05/03/10 at 12:25:38:
Awesome, thanks for all the help. Now I just need to tie up some loose ends on my new forward control extensions and then I can plan my bobber attack.

Stevene, is that the stock rear tire on your bike? it looks huge from that angle.

Mac

Yep, stock size 140/80-15 by Dunlop.  Camera angle fattens it up.  If you go with the BCB rear fender kit you've got to stay stock due to close clearance with the fender bracket.  A clever and very solid mount, but tight.

stevene

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #11 - 05/03/10 at 18:26:11

Quote:

Mac

how did you do your forward controls?  I'm looking to get some forward controls, but every kit i found is way expencive(500) for a bracket and control extensions?.

Stevene-your bike looks great.  where'd you get that tail light?

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
jarrod
YaBB Newbies

Spangdahlem Germany
Reply #12 - 05/04/10 at 00:40:52

I made mine out of quarter inch hardened steel over the weekend. Would have taken me a couple hours to do if I had the proper tools, but it took almost 3 days of running to the hardware store and other various places! Also, Ed L stills sells some made of aluminum, if I'm not mistaken. They ran about $85 I think. Here is a pcik of mine, I still have to paint them though. Its amazing how much more comfortable of a ride it is.

IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #13 - 05/04/10 at 05:05:37

Stevene-your bike looks great.  where'd you get that tail light?

James:

The bike is a total Blue Collar Bobber bob-job.  Drag pipe, drag bar, front & rear lights, seat, fender, plate bracket, etc.  Everything but the paint!

The tail/brake light is a modified Model A with LEDs and plate illumination below.  Bullet signal lights are both running and turn signals.  Superb engineering and easy assembly.

See here:

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 05/04/10 at 07:21:00

Hey stevene, how do you like the springer seat from BCB?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:20:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header Wrap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.