Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
some encouragement please (Read 379 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: some encouragement please
Reply #15 - 04/30/10 at 10:00:59

Too heavy for me.

Heavy bikes? Not for me. Passengers? Not for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/30/10 at 10:33:19

Ural is bringing the solo to the US soon. You want classic looking and a clunky shift Ural is the way. Shaft drive and they weigh about the same as a savage. You're only getting 40HP out of it stock, and the pricetag is $8000 but they also have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty.
If only I had $8k laying around.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #17 - 04/30/10 at 10:37:05

The greatest asset of your Savage is also what makes you look at other bikes-- It's yours.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 04/30/10 at 10:38:53

Ural? Oh man... They have a distro network in US now. $8000 doesn't sound too bad, not sure about the quality, though.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #19 - 04/30/10 at 11:01:06

For me one of the biggest assets of owning a Savage is this forum.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/30/10 at 11:11:06

dasch wrote on 04/30/10 at 10:38:53:
Ural? Oh man... They have a distro network in US now. $8000 doesn't sound too bad, not sure about the quality, though.

I briefly considered getting a sidecar version and looked into them pretty deep. There's two really good forums for them that together come close to equalling the resources on this site. Apparently every year Urals quality goes up considerably with the low point being in the early/mid 90's. The new ones from '05 and onward are apparently quite well made. And if they're not, for whatever reason, the 2 year parts/labor unlimited mile warranty comes into play. A lot of the parts are sourced now where they used to be primarily russian made. Brembo discs front and back on the solo, i think they're using keihin carbs now, herzog gears, Nippon Denso alternators (as the russian ones could take out your engine. refered to as russian hand grenades). Just by looking the solo seems like a very solidly built bike. Like i said, if only I had $8k.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/30/10 at 11:14:05

keep the savage!!!!!   Love the savage!!!!!  Mod the Savage!!! for that all new bike feel  Cool  The savage is a unique bike that is full of good surprises and possibilities, not sure the same is true about other bikes.

I just traded my S 40 in for a S 50, it was the same payment (yeah I know, but if I didn't buy on credit I wouldn't save the money, bad discipline, working on it) so I figured what the hell.  not really seeing much performance upgrades (I need to get it tuned though, something isn't right) and the thing ways 100 lbs more, a harley sportster would weigh 200 lbs more.  I think the finish on harley's is very nice, but do you really wanna pay that much more for a paint job and detailing?  Harleys also have great road manners in that at the wheels they feel great on the road. the shifting on a harley is what it is, wish they made finding neutral easier though.

going to start saving my pennies for a savage/s 40 project bike

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #22 - 04/30/10 at 18:57:44

I knew i could count on you guys for some good replies on this topic. Smiley

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #23 - 04/30/10 at 19:15:25

has anyone done a motor swap on their savage?  Could ya fit a harley powerplant inside the frame?  I think that'd be a sweet bike.  
I really do like the low riding stance and good corning of this bike.  Was talking to my neighbor who has a crotch rocket(GSXR 600).  He said he couldn't ride it for more than 20 minutes without hurting.  I take my savage out for an hour or so on average and I don't feel any discomfort.

If you are looking to get a harley sportster and dont' have alot of money look into anything pre 1995 ,but post 1985(that's about when they came out with the evo engine and started making good bikes again).   They are 100lbs lighter or so than a modern sportster and can be had for about 4,000 used with about 25k on the clock.  I like the looks and stance of the harley fatboy myself and it can't hurt that it was riden by Arnold Scwarzenegger in terminator 2.  But those are 10,000 used or 17,000 new.  

Another thing is the savage is very low maintenance and easy to work on.  And probably alittle cheaper on gas, so it is the more practical bike.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #24 - 05/01/10 at 06:31:14

james may wrote on 04/30/10 at 19:15:25:
has anyone done a motor swap on their savage?  Could ya fit a harley powerplant inside the frame?  I think that'd be a sweet bike.  
I really do like the low riding stance and good corning of this bike.  Was talking to my neighbor who has a crotch rocket(GSXR 600).  He said he couldn't ride it for more than 20 minutes without hurting.  I take my savage out for an hour or so on average and I don't feel any discomfort.

If you are looking to get a harley sportster and dont' have alot of money look into anything pre 1995 ,but post 1985(that's about when they came out with the evo engine and started making good bikes again).  

Without a LOT of cutting and stretching, you will never fit a sportster or big twin into a savage frame. You just can't get that square peg in a round hole. As far as post '85 Harleys- it is all a matter of opinion. I have ridden the harleys for many years. In 1985, the evolution engine came out and was a bit improved over the shovel and iron heads. But 1985 was also the year that Harley-Davidson started turning on the very people who made the prior survival of the motor company possible. Dealers who had to start selling outboard boat motors through the 70's to overcome the lost profits from AMF trash, had their dealerships revoked because they did not fit the "image" that the new and improved motor company wished to project. The harley evo, to me, symbolizes the 20 year decline of the motorcycle culture, which seems to be coming back now. The evo also symbolizes the beginning of the prostituting out of the HD name to every product that has nothing to do with motorcycling. I have never had a need for HD splash on cologne , underpants, or active footware!

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
crabpainter

Look Twice Save A
Life    

Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/01/10 at 08:23:27

To your original request as already stated, it's yours not the banks. Title is in your name. Insurance is dirt cheap as a result. It doesn't matter what you ride or end up buying, you'll always look at other peoples rides and dream... But that Savage is yours. You're friend can't say that about his bike.
I detest payments. Me and Dave Ramsey.

Interested in pre 70's British bikes or Hodaka's.
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #26 - 05/01/10 at 18:29:47

"The evo also symbolizes the beginning of the prostituting out of the HD name to every product that has nothing to do with motorcycling. I have never had a need for HD splash on cologne , underpants, or active footware! "

In el paso we have Barnett HD which claims to be the worlds largest. More than half of the entire store is clothing and ridiculous junk with the logo on it! I have never understood that. If I like a product I may own a shirt that supports the product but these guys go way overboard! I think I counted about 10 people at different businesses wearing harley shirts and I watched most of them get into a car and drive away. ha!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #27 - 05/01/10 at 18:32:57

crabpainter wrote on 05/01/10 at 08:23:27:
To your original request as already stated, it's yours not the banks. Title is in your name. Insurance is dirt cheap as a result. It doesn't matter what you ride or end up buying, you'll always look at other peoples rides and dream... But that Savage is yours. You're friend can't say that about his bike.
I detest payments. Me and Dave Ramsey.

very very true and this is why  I DO love my savage. if i was making payments it would prob be on something else. BUT...i wouldnt be making payment. so Dave Ramsey got to you too huh? Grin he got to me as well. the only thing i make payments on is an $80,000 home which i rent out and make a litle profit on. even my car is paid off and what would be a car payment is being saved to pay cash for the next. most of my friends call me cheap. oh well they are all in debt Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 05/02/10 at 04:54:12

Lots of us have second bikes (generally big open road bikes).  

Some of us were silly enough (or financially pressed enough) to have to sell the Savage.

Of those, over half picked up another Savage fairly soon afterwards.

Something was missing.

The Savage is THE BEST quick nimble get around town bike ....

"don't it always seem to go

that you don't know what you got 'till its gone?"

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #29 - 05/02/10 at 05:30:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/02/10 at 04:54:12:

Lots of us have second bikes (generally big open road bikes).  

Some of us were silly enough (or financially pressed enough) to have to sell the Savage.

Of those, over half picked up another Savage fairly soon afterwards.

Something was missing.

The Savage is THE BEST quick nimble get around town bike ....

"don't it always seem to go

that you don't know what you got 'till its gone?"

I feel the same way. I bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 do to my disability but couldn't make myself get rid of the S40. I ride the Burgman when I can't get my leg over the S40. I can't go too long without riding my 1 lunger.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:35:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › some encouragement please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!