Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb tuning suggestions (Read 104 times)
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Carb tuning suggestions
04/29/10 at 09:39:41

This question is for Lancer, or those like him who could give me a good place  to start.  

I've got a '97 Savage with a stock carb and stock airbox.  I did put a more open muffler on, but I'm not sure exactly what type it is (see picture below).

It was louder than I liked, so I put a baffle (see picture below) in the little pipe I used to connect the header and muffler.  I played around with the jets with info I found on this website and got it working well.  It was two years ago, so I forget what size jets I finally settled on.

Here's my question.  I'm going to purchase the UFO and Dial-a-Jet.  I'm curious what jet settings you suggest I should start with.  

I'm also curious what size UFO I should get.  The stock carb is a BS40, right?  So I assume that is a 40mm?  If I can buy them through this website (not sure) that would be all the better.  I assume the DAJ is one size fits all.  

Here's a picture of the muffler.  I got two of them.  (In fact, this second one is for sale.  And the stock one if anyone wants it.  Make an offer plus shipping.)

Here is the inside of the muffler.

And here is the baffle I put in.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Carb tuning suggestions
Reply #1 - 04/29/10 at 09:58:15

I'm sure that UFO don't work on stock carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #2 - 04/29/10 at 10:06:32

oh

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 04/29/10 at 20:56:02

Bill is correct, the UFO is made for the VM roundslide carburetors and will not fit at all the stock carb.
The Dial-a jet will work on any type carburetor.

-he UFO is desogmed tp work primarily in the idle-1/2 throttle range
( designed specifically for Mikuni VM  roundslide; most often the 36/38mm models)

-The dial-a-jet is designed to work the 1/4-wide open throttle range.
On a stock carb the low throttle range will still be managed by the pilot circuit so jet/tune as normal.  With the muffler you have which looks like a HD type, and the added baffle you have in the short pipe. I would suggest that you start with a #50 pilot jet and adjust the pilot screw for best rpm.  I would be surprised if it required a larger pilot than the #50 but you only know by going through the tuning steps.

Be sure to follow the instructions for the Dial-a-jet, which says to reduce the main jet size by at least 3 sizes which will allow the DAJ to do its work unhindered by a tool large main jet.  The DAJ will give you the exact amount of fuel the engine needs, no more/no less....very efficient for max economy and clean power.

Leaning out the midrange with the needle setting may be required also for the DAJ, but I would need to double check that one.

IP Logged
omahasavage

Omaha, Nebraska
Reply #4 - 04/30/10 at 07:46:23

Thanks, I will give it a try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com