passenger footpegs (Read 145 times)
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
passenger footpegs
04/28/10 at 19:21:50

Have new long-legged girlfriend, who would really be more comfortable if there was a way to 'forward-mount' the passenger footpegs on my  '08 S-40.

Anybody have a easy fix for this or any experience with something like this?

I could remove the existing ones (or pick up a used pair off some other bike) and have then welded in place 4 inches forward of where they are now.....or?????

Suggestions.....

PS ....long legged girlfriend and I are already making plans, (in fact, have made deposit)  to rent a  500 cc Royal Enfield in Mumbai next winter for 2 months in Southern India - so she's definitely a keeper....worth the trouble of an extra set of pegs.

Jim

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: passenger footpegs
Reply #1 - 04/29/10 at 01:54:26

My daughter has bad knees.  I ended up putting a "booster" seat on the pillion and strapping it to the regular seat with some old leather belts.  The higher center of gravity took some getting used to, but works OK.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 04/29/10 at 05:57:26

Just a thought, but how about floorboards?   I don't know if the rears mount the same as the fronts, but someone said these were a fairly simple install, and fairly cheap.  Just had to ream out the hole on the floorboard a little more (no mod to the bike).  Might get her a little more comfortable?   $40.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5500000?N=274839&Ntt=&Ntk=&Ne=&Ns=DefaultSort...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 04/29/10 at 06:33:56

When my long legged woman decided she wanted to ride along, I bought her a set of front pegs attached to a separate bike.  Much more comfortable that way.  Now the only thing screaming in my ear when we ride together is the wind.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/29/10 at 07:35:03

Lay a towel on the tank & let her wrap her long legs around you.

Aint it great? Having a place to go for help when yhou need it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 04/29/10 at 11:57:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/29/10 at 07:35:03:
Lay a towel on the tank & let her wrap her long legs around you.

Aint it great? Having a place to go for help when yhou need it?

Speaking of which, I think somone needs to help Haulback learn to post pictures.  We love long legg... ahem... bike pics around here.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - 04/29/10 at 15:33:48

I think the passenger pegs bolt on thru the fender from the inside. I have both front and rear pegs available if you can rig something up. All I"ll need is postage to you.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
Reply #7 - 04/30/10 at 07:21:12

Thanks for all the options & the offer of an extra set of footpegs. May take you up on it, but am heading off this morning to look for a set of used pegs at a 'broken bike' shop.

Will keep everyone informed..... I find it much safer to keep long legs  safely 'unwrapped' and on the pegs while riding the bike. Also less distracting.

I agree that riding  single-up is way more fun, and the extra weight knocks the edge off riding a Savage, but the point of getting her to ride around as passenger is to get us both comfortable and familiar with doing so as part of preparation for riding in India.

I am sure that there will be LOTS of interesting stuff happening on the road there along with 'new driving tactics' of others to observe (and avoid), without having to think about the difference of riding with a passenger on the back.....not to mention (minimal) personal gear for 2 months, tool kit and spare parts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:18:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › passenger footpegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.