Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another one won't start (Read 252 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Another one won't start
04/27/10 at 17:09:26

I put a very low mileage '96 engine in my '86 a while back.  It started right up and ran fine.  I haven't had it on the road because the bike still needs other work done.  But I've been starting it every week or so and riding it around my condo complex.  Last week I did the fork seals and thought it was finally ready to go.  I started it up and it ran for a minute or so and then just quit.  I couldn't get it to start again.  I thought it might be out of gas so I added some but no go.  It cranks normally but it won't fire.  It's getting gas, it already has a Raptor petcock.  Today I pulled the plug and watched it spark as I cranked it but it still won't start.  Help please.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another one won't start
Reply #1 - 04/27/10 at 17:44:12

May not have enough charge, running around for a few minutes might not be enough to recharge it.

WWW   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 04/27/10 at 17:58:36

Ran the battery dead trying to start it, pulled it and charged it over night, ran it dead again, pulled it and charged it again.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/27/10 at 18:04:48

Ditto.  

The Savage has electronic ignition and the voltage that will still spin the bike over a bit sluggishly under compression may not be enough to fire the ignitor circuit.  

Remember, when you checked the spark there is no compression to strain the starter motor into pulling its full current draw -- so then it has enough voltage to pull a spark while just pumping some air in and out through the spark plug hole.   This isn't true under compression.

Step 1   Fully charge the battery

Step 2  fill the gas tank up to the top with known good gasoline

Step 3  if it still won't start whack the float bowl sharply with the butt end of a screw driver and wait a few minutes.  Try again.  Try again.

You don't mention using the choke, but over use can flood an engine which will then start normally after a day of rest.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/27/10 at 18:52:26

jef.savage wrote on 04/27/10 at 17:09:26:
 I started it up and it ran for a minute or so and then just quit.

a minute is about what it takes to run the bowl dry.
did you turn on the petcock?
then I'd check proper operation of the float.
got a drain teet on the bottom of the bowl?
hook a clear gas line to it and run it up along side the bowl.
turn on the petcock, gas should come up to the bowl gasket.
if it don't, you might have a stuck float or valve.
a percusive adjustment is in order.  a couple of sharp raps with a plastic handle should do 'er.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 04/27/10 at 21:31:45

sometimes if my bike is semi warm or already been ridden that day, using the choke will make her stall while she warms up....normal?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/27/10 at 22:27:51

Rocco wrote on 04/27/10 at 21:31:45:
sometimes if my bike is semi warm or already been ridden that day, using the choke will make her stall while she warms up....normal?

normal

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/28/10 at 09:57:48

I had intermittent starting problems at first.

Typically I would drop the carb bowl, spray cleaner, and away she would go, every time.

I have not had many problems since I rejetted, when I did have a couple of hard starts, I changed the plug and that cured it.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 04/28/10 at 11:51:31

Smacked the carb. no go.  Swapped out the carb (doesn't everyone keep a spare around?), no go.  Checked again for spark and got none, swapped out the coil (doesn't everyone keep a spare around?). it fired and ran for a few seconds then died.  Wore a new battery down trying to get it going again.  Brought the battery in to charge and gave up for the day.  It'll be a week before I get a chance to look at it again.  I think I'll stick a new plug in just to see if a little extra spark does anything.  I'll update next Tuesday.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/28/10 at 11:54:33

Well, DANG!Talk about a cliffhanger. I cant wait for "the next installment".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 04/28/10 at 12:00:36

jef.savage wrote on 04/28/10 at 11:51:31:
Smacked the carb. no go.  Swapped out the carb (doesn't everyone keep a spare around?), no go.  Checked again for spark and got none, swapped out the coil (doesn't everyone keep a spare around?). it fired and ran for a few seconds then died.  Wore a new battery down trying to get it going again.  Brought the battery in to charge and gave up for the day.  It'll be a week before I get a chance to look at it again.  I think I'll stick a new plug in just to see if a little extra spark does anything.  I'll update next Tuesday.

The CDI aka The Magic Sh!t Box may be your culprit. Just a guess though.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/28/10 at 12:47:19

check your connections

WWW   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #12 - 04/28/10 at 12:54:02

When I swapped engines I had to splice the CDI connector from a '96 wiring harness into my harness so I could plug in the new CDI.  I redid all the splices today just to check.  Also checked all connections near there.  I would figure I did something wrong there except that it ran fine for a few weeks.

IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - 04/28/10 at 13:02:20

On the subject of the CDI,does anyone have a dead one they would be willing to donate to me?I've managed to successfully rebuild a couple of Bandit CDI's(known problem on the 400's)and would like to see if it might be possible to resurrect a Savage CDI.I've got a '96 Savage,so it would be easier to function test a newer box.Also,I've got a PROM burner(around here SOMEWHERE!)so it might be possible to convert an older box to a newer one an vice versa.Just a project to see if I can,new ones are kinda pricey!

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #14 - 04/28/10 at 15:00:48

You said you've got spark and fuel did you check the compression?  the timing chain could be broke, or the auto decompression cable could be stuck causing no or low compression.  to make sure fuel is not your problem you could shoot some starting fluid into the carb.  if it starts or fires a few times you now fuel is your problem.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:43:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another one won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.