Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another one won't start (Read 252 times)
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Another one won't start
Reply #15 - 05/27/10 at 11:43:57

I think the original problem was just running it out of gas.  It didn't occur to me since it doesn't get ridden but I guess even starting once a week will run it out eventually.  I wore the battery down before I realized it needed gas.  So I added gas and tried to jump it.  I think I fried something electrical.  I was seeing spark when I checked for it but it may have been weak, I don't know how big it should be.  So I decided to walk away and take a break and come back fresh in a week.  When I came back I put in the a new plug and thought I would check for spark again before installing  it.  This time no spark.  Swapped coils, still no spark.  So I swapped out the alternator.
THIS IS WHERE THE CURRENT PROBLEM BEGINS.
When I push the start button I hear the decomp click, the solenoid clicks, and then nothing.  I swapped starters, same result.  If I remove the starter and ground it it spins when it's supposed to.  Replace it and no go.  I removed the generator cover again and checked the gears that engage the starter.  They seem right. I was able to turn the starter shaft by hand and see the gears turn  the engine.  Put it back together and same story.  Any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/27/10 at 11:47:44

yep, most likely you got a washer in the wrong spot.  been done before.

WWW   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #17 - 05/27/10 at 16:37:12

I guess I just needed some encouragement to get in there again.  I only found one washer but pics in Clymer's and the parts fiche don't show any.  So I tried it in a couple locations close to where it was and every time I put the cover back on I had the same result.  So I left it out and closed it up and WOOHOO it started right up and ran til I shut it off.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/27/10 at 17:07:45

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/28/10 at 02:25:36

WD 40 uses propane for propellant. Makes a good test fuel. I hesitate to use starting fluid on gas engines. Too much is not so hard to do, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another one won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.