Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Issue #1 - Fuel or Ignition? (Read 197 times)
M38A1
YaBB Newbies

Where to next?

Central Tejas
Issue #1 - Fuel or Ignition?
04/26/10 at 12:12:51

Hello....

My friend Sharon purchased a 2003 Suzuki Savage in March of '09 with 1,185 miles on it.  The bike was purchased from a private party who had it from March '08 to March '09, and a dealer owned it before that.  The bike currently has 6,600 +/- on it.

She made a passing comment to me the other day about how she can be riding and all of a sudden, the bike just quits running.  Hmmm....  So I read many posts here and learn about the petcock gremlin of this bike which leads me to believe her issue could be that.  She's indicated she can pull over, and by the time she's stopped, hit the starter and it'll fire up.  I was following her yesterday and she just pulled over for no reason (to me) and said it died.  She hit the starter a few times and it fired right up.  Yes, she had fuel in the tank.   Wink

So, my first thoughts are, wouldn't the vacuum problem associated with the petcock provide for any sputtering or loss of power as fuel is exhausted?  Her comment to me was it 'just dies'.  So I asked if it's a sputtering or literally as quick as a lightswitch or turning off the key to the ignition.  Her reply, quick.

Now I'm confused on which way to turn.  What does conventional wisdom say here regarding the dieing issue?  Is it most probably the petcock and the Raptor replacement is the way to go, or could it be ignition?

Looking forward to your thoughts so I can get her back on the road.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Issue #1 - Fuel or Ignition?
Reply #1 - 04/26/10 at 12:17:02

Very common problem, but before you suspect the petcock, just do a quick check on the vacuum line for cracks and splits.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/26/10 at 12:19:16

I would put some Sea Foam in the gas and see if that don't clear it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 04/26/10 at 12:23:22

Don't bother with the sea foam unless the vacuum line is okay and the petcock has been ruled out as the problem. Some people here think sea foam is the be all end all of bike repair.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/26/10 at 12:25:37

Don't listen to the Indian hes got a junk bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 04/26/10 at 12:28:19

Also make sure her kickstand is not loose?  If she could be accidentally flicking it, the bike would cut off.  I'm not sure how low it has to go to cut the engine, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/26/10 at 12:38:33

babyhog wrote on 04/26/10 at 12:28:19:
Also make sure her kickstand is not loose?

I'm with Piglet,...   fuel problem usually has a sputter,... electric is usually instantaneous...

Disconnect and reconnect the connections at the kickstand and clutch lever cut-outs... sometimes the contacts go bad... unplugging and replugging helps... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 04/26/10 at 12:39:20

bill67 wrote on 04/26/10 at 12:25:37:
  Don't listen to the Indian hes got a junk bike.

This from the guy who admitted to beating his kids just before bed whether they deserved it or not.

Quote:
I always spanked my kids when they went to bed so they would be good the next day or they new what they were getting.

Don't piss me off further Bill. You will NOT like it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/26/10 at 12:46:43

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
M38A1
YaBB Newbies

Where to next?

Central Tejas
Reply #9 - 04/26/10 at 12:51:18

So does the petcock vacuum issue typically have a sputter with it, ie: lack or diminishing fuel symptom and then dies?  She was quite explicit in saying it's quick and has been like that each time with no sputtering or loss of power.  It's on - It's off, again leading me to think electrical.

Now the krinkie-dink in all this is, she said it typically happens after 45 minutes to an hour pointing back to a possible vacuum problem as the fuel load decreases in the tank?

What I don't want to do is replace a bunch of stuff chasing cats.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 04/26/10 at 12:55:38

M38A1 wrote on 04/26/10 at 12:51:18:
So does the petcock vacuum issue typically have a sputter with it, ie: lack or diminishing fuel symptom and then dies?  She was quite explicit in saying it's quick and has been like that each time with no sputtering or loss of power.  It's on - It's off, again leading me to think electrical.

Now the krinkie-dink in all this is, she said it typically happens after 45 minutes to an hour pointing back to a possible vacuum problem as the fuel load decreases in the tank?

What I don't want to do is replace a bunch of stuff chasing cats.

What speed does it usually occur at? And yes, it has been my experience that it seems to just shut off like a switch. It usually happened to me when I was at speed but once I dropped RPMs I could just hit the starter and it fired right back up. Replacing the vac line cured it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 04/26/10 at 12:56:08

Could be the fuel filter is a little dirty The Sea Foam can clean that up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/26/10 at 13:00:39

put the petcock to prime, if the problem goes away, you got your problem isolated.

WWW   IP Logged
M38A1
YaBB Newbies

Where to next?

Central Tejas
Reply #13 - 04/26/10 at 13:06:46

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/26/10 at 12:55:38:
What speed does it usually occur at? And yes, it has been my experience that it seems to just shut off like a switch. It usually happened to me when I was at speed but once I dropped RPMs I could just hit the starter and it fired right back up. Replacing the vac line cured it.

I recall it's while operating at speed.  Yesterday we were running 65mph or so and she just pulled over out of the blue with the issue.

I'll chase down vacuum lines and have her leave the switch to Prime and see what that does.  I'll also look around the electrical connections as noted.

I've since learned she's already tried the Seafoam additive with no change in the issue.

But I've got to get the clutch/cable sorted out before I can get to the fuel/ignition problem.  Doh!

Thanks for all the leads/tips thus far.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 04/26/10 at 13:28:44

For what it is worth, check the fuses.

My fuse holder looks real bad, I looked all over town for something to replace it with, but could find nothing so I taped it up and put it back together.  Last week the bike started cutting out, no real rhyme or reason, by the time I got it stopped, I would start back.  It might run an hour or it might run 2 minutes.  Anyway, I limped home and got to checking things out.

Neither of the fuses have blown, but one has been real hot and was very corroded looking.  I took the fuse out of the messed up side, put on a couple of female wire connectors and put the fuse back in.  For the time being, that has corrected my problem.

It is alot of fun chasing down an irregular problem.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:26:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Issue #1 - Fuel or Ignition?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.