Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Splutter at start up... (Read 182 times)
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Splutter at start up...
04/25/10 at 20:44:15

Hi.

I have '07 Boulevard, totally stock except for the sparkplug door mod.

had 13k on clock when I got it, now has 17k.

Had zero issues until now.

If I start the bike, and immediately attempt to ride forward, (like if you were taking bike out of garage) bike goes forward, but makes a bit of a splutter, like it's going to stall.

If I leave it to run for a couple of seconds without trying to ride forward, then put it into gear and go forward, all seems fine.

Seems obvious (don't ride straight away), but it did not do it when I first bought the bike.

Also started to notice when riding along at 100kmph in 4th, now and then bike gets what I can only describe as a flat spot.  Doesn't die or anything, just 'feels' flat for a brief instant, like sudden loss of power.

It has a new sparkplug, and the problem was there before AND after changing plug.

Also checked the vaccum hose from petcock to r/h side of carb for gas - all clear.

Any ideas?
Bike seems fine on highway, just don't want to ignore any potential problem here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Splutter at start up...
Reply #1 - 04/25/10 at 21:29:16

MaxMayhem wrote on 04/25/10 at 20:44:15:
Also started to notice when riding along at 100kmph in 4th, now and then bike gets what I can only describe as a flat spot.  Doesn't die or anything, just 'feels' flat for a brief instant, like sudden loss of power.

Slowing accelerating?  goes flat, then like suddenly catches up?
That would be sticky slide, add about an ounce of seafoam to your tank.
Check your air filter for oil, replace if oiled.
and drain your air box.

WWW   IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #2 - 04/25/10 at 21:38:51

Not slowly accelaerating, more while riding at a constant speed, then goes flat, then catches up again.

As for seafoam, I have no idea what that is.

I'm assuming it's pretty standard in US but not sure what I would ask for here in New Zealand.

Will check air filter this weekend (If I get my a-into-g)

Thanks for the response

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/25/10 at 22:02:05

IDK about the spluttering, but its about time to be having a look at the cam chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/25/10 at 22:46:35

seafoam is a gas additive to clean the carb

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/25/10 at 23:20:40

make sure the carb vacuum line is secured tightly at both ends...
... secondly,.. I'd try a new spark plug....
...thirdly,... unplug and replug the kickstand and clutch lever cut-out switch connectors... if they get dirty,... you'll get an intermittent miss/hesitation...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/26/10 at 02:03:52

with 17k on the bike you should consider replacing the vac line just for preventative maintenance, the old one could have a few tiny cracks that are hard to seel.
I tend to think along with Verslagen that you should run carb cleaner through the the tank and that will hopefully clean out whatever is causing the issue, but it definitely sounds like a carb issue, whether sticking slide, clog jet or passage, etc.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 04/26/10 at 05:55:46

"Seafoam" is a product that contains about half 20W 'pale oil'; one third naptha, and one sixth isopropyl alcohol. It is claimed to perform miracles in the fuel system, cleaning, lubricating, removing water, and so on. It is used at about an ounce per gallon, or a little less than 1% for normal use. I am sure there is some similar sort of miracle product available wherever you live.

Personally, if I felt the need to lubricate anything in the fuel system, I would just add two-stroke oil to the fuel at about 1:200 or 1:300. That is a product designed to mix with fuel and burn more or less cleanly in the engine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/26/10 at 06:17:12

Sea Foam is good to put in your engine oil too,Cleans the inside up.Two stroke oil doesn't work for cleaning your engine or carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/26/10 at 09:36:33

I spill an occasional few ounces of diesel into the 4 wheeler & lawnmower. Seems to be fine that way. Ill add some to the bikes soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 04/26/10 at 10:04:33

Bill, I didn't say anything about "cleaning." I said "lube." For cleaning I would find a product without the oil. Remember too that gasoline is a pretty potent solvent for cleaning, at least as good as the small amount of naptha in Seafoam. The ingredient list in Seafoam makes me think of a multi-purpose cold tablet, guaranteed to cure what ails you.

I thought about recommending the Diesel fuel, as JOG did. But it needs to be used in relatively small quantities, because it will lower the octane rating of the gasoline. Every year somebody loses a piston-powered airplane because it got misfuelled with jet fuel (about the same as Diesel). The engine starts on the gas in the fuel lines. The pilot taxis out and does runup OK. When max power is applied for takeoff the jet fuel-gas mix starts detonating in the engine, but the pilot can't hear it for all the other noise. When the airplane gets about 500 feet up and well past the end of the runway the engine(s) quit. The airplane isn't high enough to make the return to the runway, so an off-airport landing ensues.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 04/26/10 at 10:10:02

charon just put some gas in your tank to clean the carb. And some 2 cycle oil in to foul the plug. Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #12 - 04/26/10 at 17:08:41

Serowbot wrote on 04/25/10 at 23:20:40:
make sure the carb vacuum line is secured tightly at both ends...
... secondly,.. I'd try a new spark plug....
...thirdly,... unplug and replug the kickstand and clutch lever cut-out switch connectors... if they get dirty,... you'll get an intermittent miss/hesitation...

First - Done (may have solved the flat spot while at 100kmph, vac tube was almost but not quite all the way hard against the r/h side of carby.  didn't think any air could have gotten in/out there, as it was clipped, but it seems it may have been)

Second - Did before posting.

Third - Soz, I'm not as mechanically minded as others here, for me to do things like that, I would love a link to some working pictures so I know what I am looking for/at.  I learn great when I know what I need to do, but a written description usually gets me in more trouble than when I started Sad

I get that I must be looking for kickstand and clutch lever cut-out switch connectors, so 2 wires with a male female type connection for both kickstand and clutch (unless they both connect into the same connectors) but where would I find them, and what do they look like.

I'm not kidding when I say I know farkall.  I am savvy enough to do the air filter and oil filter/change, but that's about it.
I'll give anything a go myself, but I don't want to go in blind and make things worse thinking I'm doing good if you know what I mean.

I've always dumped my bike on mechanics to fix, and payed a freaking huge labour bill for my troubles, but now I am sole income earner and a baby due within a month, so want to save money any way I can.  And bike is my only means of transport to work.

Please be patient with me.  Talk to me like you would a child, I won't take offense. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/26/10 at 18:30:06

MaxMayhem wrote on 04/26/10 at 17:08:41:
I get that I must be looking for kickstand and clutch lever cut-out switch connectors, so 2 wires with a male female type connection for both kickstand and clutch (unless they both connect into the same connectors) but where would I find them, and what do they look like.

clutch switch is on the lever, there's a connector, pull it, stick a paper clip in there.
kickstand switch is on the... wait for it... kickstand.  but the connector is under the seat.  Late models have 2 green connectors under there, ones the ig switch the other kickstand switch (only 2 wire) pull it and stick a paper clip in there.  I think the female side is the 'hot' side.  idk for sure, just made sure they were 'happy'

WWW   IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #14 - 04/26/10 at 20:42:12

verslagen1 wrote on 04/26/10 at 18:30:06:
MaxMayhem wrote on 04/26/10 at 17:08:41:

clutch switch is on the lever, there's a connector, pull it, stick a paper clip in there.
kickstand switch is on the... wait for it... kickstand.  but the connector is under the seat.  Late models have 2 green connectors under there, ones the ig switch the other kickstand switch (only 2 wire) pull it and stick a paper clip in there.  I think the female side is the 'hot' side.  idk for sure, just made sure they were 'happy'

LOL ok ok I set myself up for the 'wait for it' bit.

I found the green connector under the seat when I removed for the airfilter check.
Airfilter was pretty gunked up with insect heads etc, but as I don't have access to a compressor, I very carefully used a craft knife to remove most of the crap without damaging the filter at all, and put it back in.  Will update when I get home after work to see if any noticeable difference.

Now when you mention above to put in a paperclip, I just want to be sure...do you mean put a paperclip in and leave it in to create an alternate path for the circuit if contact points get soiled in future and put connectors back together, or do you mean put a paperclip in to scrape any crap off of the contact points in the connectors then remove the paperclip and put connectors back together?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:27:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Splutter at start up...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.