Send Topic Print
grips and pegs (Read 245 times)
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
grips and pegs
04/25/10 at 07:00:54

dropped my bike yesterday and skrewed up my grip and peg on the left side.  so am in the market for a replacement set.  Can you tell me if these grips will fit my bike?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grip-Handlebar-Suzuki-Volusia-Boulevard-800-M5...

and also can't find any good pegs that look like they'd fit.  has anyone modified say harley pegs to fit their bike? like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-6-5-BLACK-SPIKE-FOOT-PEG-FOR-HARLEY_...

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: grips and pegs
Reply #1 - 04/25/10 at 07:49:23

You don't want metal or even partly metal grips, transfers the vibes right into your hands.  I got trigger finger right after getting mine.

Pegs might fit, you'll have to drill out the hole.  but they may sag.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 04/26/10 at 07:30:05

Cool looking pegs, but knowing my luck, I'd snag a pant leg on them backing out of a parking space or something, and end up in a pile on the ground.  Most likely in front of a bunch of cute women... Roll Eyes Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 04/30/10 at 22:25:09

Those pegs should work, and you probably won't have too many times that you snag them on you pants/boots before you get used to them. Below is a pic of my bike when I first got it and the pegs the previous owner put on it. I have refinished the bike since then, but did not replace the pegs yet. I think one day I will likely replace them with an ISO-Peg to reduce some of the vibration, but it is not too bad and that's money I don't have to be spending on the bike right now  Sad

For the grips I really like the feel of the ISO grips that my brother has on his bike, so I think I will switch to those if/when I switch the pegs out.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #4 - 05/02/10 at 11:26:22

i put the iso grips on mine and i love them.  i used the universal for 1" bars.  look and feel great!

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #5 - 05/03/10 at 20:03:03

Quote:
Those pegs should work, and you probably won't have too many times that you snag them on you pants/boots before you get used to them. Below is a pic of my bike when I first got it and the pegs the previous owner put on it. I have refinished the bike since then, but did not replace the pegs yet. I think one day I will likely replace them with an ISO-Peg to reduce some of the vibration, but it is not too bad and that's money I don't have to be spending on the bike right now  

For the grips I really like the feel of the ISO grips that my brother has on his bike, so I think I will switch to those if/when I switch the pegs out.

Those pegs look great on your bike.  That's a pretty cool paint job too, looks very textured.

EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/04/10 at 11:17:12

james may wrote on 05/03/10 at 20:03:03:
Those pegs look great on your bike.  That's a pretty cool paint job too, looks very textured.

Thanks, but the previous paint-job was a rattle can faux/fleck stone paint job that looked decent from at least 10' away, but when you got close you saw all the problems. Since then I have completely re-did many factors on my bike.

Before:

After: (Still a rattle can paint job, flat black & gloss blue, but looks much better in my opinion-even at less than 10')  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 05/05/10 at 10:39:11

Decided to get some chrome pegs for 22$ on ebay sold by www.D2moto.com.  they are about 5$ more expencive by the same seller on amazon.com which was interesting.  They are passenger pegs to a kawasaki ninja.  they looked like they would fit.  they have a large countersink hole with a smaller diameter hole through the rest.  the tange on the peg is wider than the stock peg tang so I modified it.  

First step was to measure the stock peg width.  then mark this width on the new peg so that the countersink is ground off shown figure 1.  the through whole is almost the size of the stock peg it needs to be reemed out about .5mm very slightly.

Figure 1:cut line

you can see a comparison of the stock to the aftermarket and the modified aftermarket peg in figure 2.

Figure 2:comaprison

It can be seen in figure 3 the view of both pegs from driver view,  figures 4 and 5 are close up views of the pegs.

figure 3: both pegs driver view

figure 4: brake peg closeup

Figure 5: shift peg closeup

The pegs are aluminum so it was easy to grind off the extra metal with a grinder.  Could have used a band saw or hacksaw or machining tool.  shift peg is very sold and straight, the brake peg hangs 1 or 2 degrees because it's alittle loose, will probably jam a shim on top to keep the peg perfectly level.  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › grips and pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.